Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 14th, 2012 02:00

HOW CAN I KNOW WINDOWS 8 PRODUCT KEY IN MY ALREADY INSTALLED WINDOWS 8 IN MY DELL INSPIRON 15R TURBO

I purchased dell inspiron 15r turbo with already installed windows 8,so i want know my windows 8 product key,so i can improve it.Another question is that dell inspiron 15r turbo has a keyboard backlit option,every keys light up except spacebar.Why is it?

1 Message

May 5th, 2015 07:00

Dear Mr. Kiran,

I am using a Dell Latitude E5530 laptop. To re install windows 8 operating system, I accidentally deleted all the partition from the laptop. And now I am trying to re install using Windows 8 DVD that came up with the laptop, it's asking for product key. 

Can you please help me on this to recover my windows 8 OS. At least tell, where I can find the recovery media for the similar model.

Thanks and Regards,

Sunal Haneef

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 5th, 2015 08:00

1 Message

June 15th, 2015 04:00

Sir,

i have read the above reply of your's and i would like to make some points on the same, as follows. I have ispiron15, i7- 5000 series.

a) the cost of bulk dvd's is negligible (10 to 12 each), the required dvd's for the backup is 3. one needs dvd writer (cost 1500or so) since the writer is not provided as a part of the laptop or external one is supplied. if dell cannot afford, then an additional charge could be billed.  

b) similarly a hard copy of user/instruction manual is not provided. where as one need to D/L pdf file and take a print costs 180/-. while the bulk printing cost would be only 25-30 rupees. again the same logic.

c) dell , as a matter of principle a good  seller should consider the requirement for their product keeping in view of their user as a common man.

d) in the above you have reccomended three options to have reccomended to create a factory backup. 1) 4 dvd's cost 60/- 2) Usb pendrive cost 500/- and 3) HDD cost 3 to 4000/-.what a logic!

e)  always there can be a situation the window will fail to start if its system file is corrupted or missing. it can even happen by use of certain tool in pc tuner. Here the question is : if one uses the factory backup for any reason, do the data stored in tact afer the recoverey?

f) there is an offer from MS for free upgrade to window 10 for 8.1 users. They have invited to register and i have registered. the win10 will be ready to download by the end of july. now, the program is 3GB, while upgrading, the window asks for the CD key of the earlier version then what to do. Please answer or provide the CD key of the pre-loaded win 8.1.

an escape standard answer would be ""the company policy". If you havre anything, please.

with best regards,

SK Pandit

Emailed removed per forum privacy policy by Philip Yip.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 15th, 2015 12:00

a and d. The optical drive is becoming obsolete and not shipped in many systems. Moreover the newer security technologies require a FAT32 formatted partition on installation media. In other words even if you have an optical drive and a Windows 8.1 Reinstallation DVD SecureBoot will reject it.16 GB USB flash drives are relatively inexpensive and you can usually buy one of these or an external hard drive with your system. You still need to make recovery media with them yourself however. Microsoft have also solved many of the issues in downloading an installation .iso for Windows 8.1 and should likewise make Windows 10 .isos readily downloadable so the creation of installation media should be relatively easy.

b. It costs to print these and adds to the weight for shipment. Moreover many users do not read the manual or find pdf versions with hyperlinks faster to navigate. Lack of physical installation media (is okay if Microsoft provide a .iso) and a paper manual are part of green policies. They also make the product slightly cheaper. Its also pretty easy to read pdfs especially on some tablet devices.

e. You should always backup your data externally on an external hard drive or on the cloud. My advise is to plan for disaster in advance e.g. software corruption or a failed hard drive. For this reason Microsoft have very tight integration with OneDrive in Office 2013/2016 and Windows 8.1/10.

f. Microsoft have not yet released the details about product keys for Windows 10 so we don't know yet. I have put a lot of information together here however: http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/preparing-for-windows-10/
The product key for Windows 8/8.1 preinstalled on Dells systems is embedded in the systems UEFI BIOS. In short installation media looks at the systems hardware and if you have one inputs it automatically. If you don't have one or if it is of an incorrect edition then you will be prompted for a new one. For Windows 10 I suspect Microsoft will sort out the hassles with different editions as they caused a lot of confusion with Windows 8 and 8.1.

1 Message

September 3rd, 2015 23:00

I need my prodoct key

1 Message

June 24th, 2016 06:00

Hello  Kirana,

Last year my friend insisted me to Installed Window 7 and i agree what he suggested to me because my computer knowledge is very limited. He convince me that Windows 7 is more convenient and more friendly; but Windows 7 that he installed with me PIRATED software, i regretted ironically i am doubtful and perplexed to retrieved back my Windows 8 Activation Code. Is there any possibility to retrieve back my activation Code through My SERVICE TAG or EXPRESS SERVICE COD....PLEASE HELP ME.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 24th, 2016 09:00

You can Download a Windows 10 .iso and Clean Install with it. It'll automatically pick up the Windows 8 Product key embedded in your UEFI BIOS (enable UEFI and SecureBoot for optimal performance). See here for details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/

1 Message

July 11th, 2016 07:00

I have a dell inspiron 5520 aptop.I changed my product key by looking up at the internet and now it shows that your windows is not activated.I activated it using kmsauto application but I want to get my original windows 8 product key that came preinstalled with the system.

Can u help me out .

Service tag : 

<ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

12 Posts

July 5th, 2017 05:00

I am looking for product key because : when i was upgrading to windows 8.1 some error appeared and by mistake i format every drive . As a result I lost my original windows.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 5th, 2017 05:00

No Events found!