Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

A

3 Posts

April 9th, 2005 12:00

Inspiron 2650 Noisy!

Hello all,

My Inspiron 2650 is now about 3 years old, however, I just replaced the hard drive and upgraded the ram. The basic specs are as follows:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 - 1.6 GHz
Ram: 512 MB
HD: 60 GB (26.9 GB Free)

My question is regarding noise. My computer is noisy even when absolutley nothing is running. I ran MS Antispywear, I submitted a HijackThis report to a variety of forums, I ran CleanUp! to rid me of my temp files - yet, still this undying noise.

A description of the noise: a higher frequency noise which to me sounds like it is coming from the HDD - I can't be sure, but it isn't an airy sound like fan noise. It almost sounds like a 56K modem while in use...like that fax machine white noise.

Please, please, please - let me know if you know any type of fix. I am at wits end! Thank you!

2.8K Posts

April 9th, 2005 13:00

What brand HD is it?

2.8K Posts

April 9th, 2005 14:00

@abajorek wrote:
Hello again!

Well, the device manager only lists the serial number, and that is: HTS548060M9AT00

With a bit of research on altavista, I found that the model number is in there, HTS548 - and that this hard drive is made by Hitachi.

I hope this helps!! Do certain manufacturers have noisier hard drives or something?

Yep, Hitachi drive make noise, more than most.

Thats normal for them.

2.8K Posts

@abajorek wrote:
I think it is western digital - I can't be certain though. It's either WD or Hitachi...regardless it is 5400 RPM, if that helps

Thanks!

1. Right click on My Computer
  2. Click properties
  3. Click Hardware
  4. Click device Manager
  5. Click the + sign next to Disk Drives
  6. That will give you the make and model of the drive.

3 Posts

I think it is western digital - I can't be certain though. It's either WD or Hitachi...regardless it is 5400 RPM, if that helps

Thanks!

3 Posts

Hello again!

Well, the device manager only lists the serial number, and that is: HTS548060M9AT00

With a bit of research on altavista, I found that the model number is in there, HTS548 - and that this hard drive is made by Hitachi.

I hope this helps!! Do certain manufacturers have noisier hard drives or something?

April 10th, 2005 18:00

I had a very similar problem with a 2650, it did that high-pitched noise even in the BIOS, albeit to a lesser extent.

It seemed at the time to come from underneath the keyboard near where the video card is attached, upper-center of the keyboard. I tried it with the HD out and the noise was there.

The only thing that I could do at the time was to adjust power settings to use less power (and to my disappointment, less performance), and that helped a lot. As the machine was lent to me by my company, I was very glad when they exchanged it for an 5160 (although that machine has other kwirks...)

• 

25K Posts

August 16th, 2021 20:00

Hi there, We want to make sure your system is working fine and hence following up. Having said that, we do not want to disturb you with numerous messages. We will wait to hear from you to continue the conversation.
No Events found!