Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

N

7 Posts

April 9th, 2005 17:00

Inspiron 2650 external enclosure just clicks. Help.

I bought two firewire/USB2.0 .  The same thing happens with both.  I put my 20g harddrive in it, plug it to the USB port, and it just clicks.  A message said it wasn't installed properly. 
     I can't find a COM port to troubleshoot.

Must I upgrade to 2.0 for these devices to work properly?  Speed of transfer isn't a concern.
       How can I just get the device to work?

Thanks.
ps.  I searched through many forum pages but to no avail.

2.8K Posts

@nishka wrote:
I put the HD back in, opened BIOS and the two passwords in the security section were all ready clear. 

Ok set the HD password reboot then remove it.

2.8K Posts

Put your drive back in your machine and remove the HD password on the drive, in the BIOS, then it will work.

7 Posts

I put the HD back in, opened BIOS and the two passwords in the security section were all ready clear. 

7 Posts

April 9th, 2005 18:00

I set the HD password to reboot.  Nothing has changed.  It still just clicks and doesn't open any bubbles or wizards for instructions.  The only message says a high speed device is installed in a non-high speed port.

I am updating windows now.  I've heard this may help. 

Any other suggestions are welcome. 

Thanks.

2.8K Posts

April 9th, 2005 18:00

@nishka wrote:

I set the HD password to reboot.  Nothing has changed.  It still just clicks and doesn't open any bubbles or wizards for instructions.  The only message says a high speed device is installed in a non-high speed port.

I am updating windows now.  I've heard this may help. 

Any other suggestions are welcome. 

Thanks.

After Windows Update see if it works, USB 2 is usually backwards compatable, but not always.

2.8K Posts

April 9th, 2005 19:00

@ejn63 wrote:
Make sure these drives are self-powered (using an AC adapter). If they're bus-powered (no AC adapter) buy a powered USB hub - it sounds like the drives aren't getting enough power - the USB ports on the notebook probably cannot supply enough power to spin up the drives and keep them running.

Yeah that is possible too.

Some, like the one I have have a power connecter, also USB for systems that don't supply enough power.

I forgot all about that.

7 Posts

So I updated windows.  (I'm a little suspicious because it only took 15 minutes, whereas I was told it would take 12 hours).

Still no progress on the external drive.  I've uninstalled the driver and then reinstalled it.

I've changed the password to 'reboot' then back to clear. 

Is it possible that it is a hard drive malfunction?  Windows recognizes it as a mass storage unit, but says that it was not properly installed.

It could also be because it requires 2.0, not my 1.1 USB?

Thanks;.

2.8K Posts

@nishka wrote:

So I updated windows.  (I'm a little suspicious because it only took 15 minutes, whereas I was told it would take 12 hours).

Still no progress on the external drive.  I've uninstalled the driver and then reinstalled it.

I've changed the password to 'reboot' then back to clear. 

Is it possible that it is a hard drive malfunction?  Windows recognizes it as a mass storage unit, but says that it was not properly installed.

It could also be because it requires 2.0, not my 1.1 USB?

Thanks;.

No the Drives fine.

Looks like the Exterenal encloser not backwards compatable with USB 1.1.

Usually they are though.

Do you have a Firewire port on that machine?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Make sure these drives are self-powered (using an AC adapter). If they're bus-powered (no AC adapter) buy a powered USB hub - it sounds like the drives aren't getting enough power - the USB ports on the notebook probably cannot supply enough power to spin up the drives and keep them running.

• 

25.1K Posts

August 20th, 2021 23:00

Hi there, We want to make sure your system is working fine and hence following up. Having said that, we do not want to disturb you with numerous messages. We will wait to hear from you to continue the conversation.
No Events found!