Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

November 27th, 2008 08:00

No Battery is detected

Hi,

I have DELL Inspiron 6400/E1505 laptop and it's been one and half year since i bought this laptop so my warranty is already expired. I am experiencing a weird problem with my battery. This morning when i started my laptop (Vista Home Edition) on AC power, the battery icon (battery with plug) was showing a cross and when i hovered over the icon, it says 'No Battery is detected. When i open the battery meter software, the first tab 'battery status' was showing all controls empty and disabled. I thought perhaps my battery is dead, but my laptop is working OK with AC power as well as on battery. Battery light turn green/yellow when it's on AC power but it is RED when i remove the AC power but system keeps working. In battery mode the battery meter icon doesn't change (it normally changes to show a battery without the plug). I am not sure what to do, what has happened? my battery is dead or battery meter software is not behaving?

1 Message

February 17th, 2012 12:00

I had this very same problem.  I contacted Dell about this issue via Dell Live Chat.  After a few troubleshooting steps the battery issue was resolved.  This was the solution provided by Dell:   "Please remove the battery and ac adaptor.  Then press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.  Now wait for 2 minutes.  Please reconnect the battery and ac adaptor and power on the system."  This simple process resolved my issue.  Once the laptop was powered back up the battery icon was back to normal and charging again.  The Dell technician also advised that at least once a week I should unplug the laptop from the ac source and run on battery power only.  He said I should run on battery power until the battery is completely drained and discharged.  Said this will improve battery performance and increase battery life.  I've started doing this once a week and have experienced much better battery performance than my other Dell laptop which is constantly on ac power.  Apparently the batteries get atrophy and become dependant on ac power if you don't regularly use them without ac power.  Guess batteries need an occasional workout too.

Community Manager

• 

2.1K Posts

September 30th, 2022 10:00

Please try the steps below:

1. Make sure all drivers are updated

https://www.dell.com/support/

2. Perform a hard reset on the laptop and use a known good outlet

Disconnect any external devices including the AC adapter

Hold the power button down for 10 seconds (20 seconds for Alienware)

Bypass any power strips, surge protectors or battery backups

Verify the wall outlet is functional

Proceed to the next step

Plug only the AC adapter back into the laptop

Attempt to power on the system

Restart the computer to ensure the issue is resolved.

3. Battery Reset

Remove the panel and gently detach the battery cable (strip) and press the power button for 20-30 seconds.

Make sure while performing this steps all the external peripherals should be disconnected.

Then reconnect the battery cable restart the system and check.

4. Force flash the BIOS

There are cases when a BIOS update cannot be run with a AC adapter (especially when faulty). In this scenario, please refer to this article: How to Force a BIOS Update on a Dell Laptop

Helpful Video:

If still under the purchased warranty, click the "Get Help Now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.

(edited)

4 Posts

January 9th, 2009 04:00

Hi!

I have excatly the same problem as described above. I also have Inspiron 6400. Can someone please help because i cannot upgrade my bios to A17.

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 19:00

I just bought a '07 E1705 that was reloaded with XP. When it got back from the shop, the battery was unrecognized by the computer. I don't know wht's up.

Hi,

I have DELL Inspiron 6400/E1505 laptop and it's been one and half year since i bought this laptop so my warranty is already expired. I am experiencing a weird problem with my battery. This morning when i started my laptop (Vista Home Edition) on AC power, the battery icon (battery with plug) was showing a cross and when i hovered over the icon, it says 'No Battery is detected. When i open the battery meter software, the first tab 'battery status' was showing all controls empty and disabled. I thought perhaps my battery is dead, but my laptop is working OK with AC power as well as on battery. Battery light turn green/yellow when it's on AC power but it is RED when i remove the AC power but system keeps working. In battery mode the battery meter icon doesn't change (it normally changes to show a battery without the plug). I am not sure what to do, what has happened? my battery is dead or battery meter software is not behaving?

ny ideas?

February 23rd, 2009 14:00

I had the exact same problem: The battery showed power, but the computer just don't seem to rely on it when the AC adapter is unpluged.

Worst, I reinstalled Window recently and the battery is simply no longer recognized. I figured that it might be a driver problem, as it worked before the reinstallation... is there anyone that can tell me how to proceed?

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2009 16:00

I used the trouble-shooting guide on the Dell website and it indicated my battery needed to be replaced. I did so, with a used one from ebay and everything works fine now. I guess the processor in the the original bettery isn't working. I'm looking for a way to have this type of bettery refurbushed, including the IC module. Try the interactive trouble-shooting guide. and good luck.

February 23rd, 2009 19:00

Yeah well, the problem is that the trouble-shooting guide do not talk about unrecognized battery... I'm able to go through it, and it don't solve my problem. And as I said, I bought a new battery and it's not working... not recognized...

2 Posts

April 12th, 2009 08:00

Hi!

I possess an Inspirion 1501, and I'm experiencing closely the same problem, I explaine, when I start my computer  befor windows runs a message is displayed in white and black (DOS), saying that the bettery is not reconized and therefor could not be charged.

menwhile the battery is working well and I didn't noticed anything in relation either with the autonomy of the battery itself or any other hting else.

May someone help me to resolve this problem

thanks to everyone 

4 Posts

September 4th, 2009 14:00

I have the same problem but I think I have figured out why this happens. My battery life had been declining for a while. The battery was starting to get a little old. It finally got to the point one day where it didn't have enough battery power to finish the very-low-battery hibernate completely and it shut off during the hibernation process while I was looking for my AC adaptor. When I booted it up on AC power I noticed the red X on the battery icon in the tray. The battery would still charge fully but it still had the red X. It also would show no battery installed in the BIOS. I tried everything I could think of to get it recognized again but had no luck. We happened to have some old spare batteries for this model of laptop so I tested them out. Some of them were recognized but some were not. I chose to keep one of them that was recognized. The battery life on this one wasn't great but at least the indicator worked. Today I was doing some charge and drain cycles on the battery and I let the drain go too long. All in about two seconds, Windows informed me that I had 5% charge remaining, the battery indicator light on the laptop went from green to flashing amber and then the laptop shut down. When i booted back up, I had the red X on the battery indicator again. There must be something in the battery module that recognizes this type of ungraceful shutdown and, by design, flips some irreversible switch that causes it to no longer be recognized by the laptop. When this happens, the red X will show in the tray and the user will know that it is time to get a new battery. Makes good sense, I guess. If it can't complete the hibernation process when it is low on charge, then it is time to be replaced.

2 Posts

September 17th, 2009 15:00

I have a very similar problem.  My Dell is an Inspiron 1720 and is pretty new and I almost always have it pluggedin.   I had no problems with the battery until I re-installed Vista Home (with the re-installation cd that came with the Dell laptop).  

[BTW - The reason for re-installment was that McAfee was not able to update, and some posts stated to re-install the OS.  Stupid me] 

Now, the battery consistently blinks red and I am unable to use the laptop without it being plugged in.  This is normally not a problem, usually.....but now if the cord accidentally becomes unplugged (say if I pull the laptop to my lap) it dies.  The adapter still has the green light.

What's going on?  Are my "good" battery settings in the previous 'Windows.Old' file?   I understand this is not logical....   Did the battery actually lose its life by re-installing Vista Home again?   

Any ideas?

Dell Inspiron battery not recognized red light

2 Posts

September 17th, 2009 15:00

I have a very similar problem.  My Dell is an Inspiron 1720 and is pretty new and I almost always have it pluggedin.   I had no problems with the battery until I re-installed Vista Home (with the re-installation cd that came with the Dell laptop).  

[BTW - The reason for re-installment was that McAfee was not able to update, and some posts stated to re-install the OS.  Stupid me] 

Now, the battery consistently blinks red and I am unable to use the laptop without it being plugged in.  This is normally not a problem, usually.....but now if the cord accidentally becomes unplugged (say if I pull the laptop to my lap) it dies.  The adapter still has the green light.

What's going on?  Are my "good" battery settings in the previous 'Windows.Old' file?   I understand this is not logical....   Did the battery actually lose its life by re-installing Vista Home again?   

Any ideas?

Dell Inspiron battery not recognized red light

6 Posts

May 27th, 2010 02:00

Try unistalling "Microsoft APCI-Compliant Control Method Battery" driver(s) , reboot, see it resolves the issue.

6 Posts

May 27th, 2010 11:00

Notebook batteries are rated to last about 400 cycles, which typically means one year of standard use. However, I have seen them last longer. The precise amount of time you get out of a battery is dependent upon the usage & environmental factors.

If the BIOS is not detecting the battery the problem is either with the battery itself or the battery bay/motherboard on the system. If you have access to another system (same type) I would recommend swapping out batteries to rule out possibilities and also to see if the BIOS will detect it.

If the problem is found in the bay/motherboard then contact Dell technical support (assuming the system is still in warranty, which they can check) to see about getting it fixed. If the problem is the battery, and it is outside the one year battery warranty, then you would need to purchase a replacement.

1 Message

November 6th, 2010 20:00

I read through everyone's suggestions and figured out what was wrong. I purchased a 9-hour battery after believing my current battery was dead.  I plugged the new battery in and it was at 36% power!  Excited because the battery was recognized, I let it run down as per manufacturer's suggestion in order to get a maximum charge.  After plugging my laptop in, again!  No battery installed.  I was frustrated, googled, found this page and I uninstalled the drivers as suggested in a previous post and rebooted.  Now it could see my battery but it was refusing to charge.  I had also purchased a new AC Adapter because my old one was falling apart.  Upon plugging in the new adapter/charger, my battery is now not only recognized, but it's also charging!   

Sometimes you just have to work your way through many options.  Thankfully, my issue was not one that required a new motherboard.  Be positive!

January 1st, 2011 14:00

Hi Teal Thumb,

I am having problems with my battery I bought a new battery and power supply I have uninstalled "Microsoft APCI-Compliant Control with no luck.

When I put in my new battery my computer will not even power up.  I put the old one back in and the computer powers up but still says no battery detected and will not charge.

When you put in a new battery did you have to make any changes to the system bio's or any other part of the computer?

TIA

harriet

No Events found!