Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

August 5th, 2016 15:00

No Bluetooth, as usual

so I have replaced a HDD in a used Dell Inspiron 5758

Service Tag: <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy> | Express Service Code: <ADMIN NOTE: Express service code removed per privacy policy>

I keep seeing the phrase "every driver you need is in the support site under your service tag.  Well, I have installed every driver there and this is what is left after many hours of adding extra programs to make my old copy of Win7x64 work.  So no USB drivers are there, but that doesn't seem very important.  The main thing is, like many other people, there is no bluetooth connectivity after installing every BT driver on the internet...  What am I missing?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 6th, 2016 04:00

The chipset drivers are missing (or were not installed correctly) -- these are the first drivers you should load immediately after you have Win 7 SP1 installed.

19 Posts

August 6th, 2016 05:00

I'm going to need corroboration on that before I go through all that again.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Try installing them now.  The fact that your SMB and USB show missing drivers means they're not installed.

19 Posts

Assuming I didn't, are you saying I need to format and start over?

19 Posts

I managed to get the USB stuff installed last night. Still no luck with any Bluetooth drivers. I have also gone to Intel's website and installed what they said was the correct driver for Windows 7 x64. Even if I was to get them installed, I can't find anywhere on the internet that tells you how you actually know it is working.

19 Posts

August 7th, 2016 05:00

This is very disappointing, no responses.  I thought Dell was a popular brand.

19 Posts

August 7th, 2016 07:00

I posted a picture showing that it is not. You even said as much in your first reply.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 7th, 2016 07:00

Look in your device manager - is a Bluetooth adapter listed?  If so, does it show a correctly loaded driver?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 7th, 2016 08:00

Look toward the top of the list.  Bluetooth adapters are listed separately under Windows in many cases.

There are also two different Wireless AC 3160s -- one without and one Plus Bluetooth.

There is also a separate bluetooth application package for the 3160Plus:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=5566N&fileId=3486966078&osCode=WT64A&productCode=inspiron-17-5758-laptop&languageCode=en&categoryId=NI

19 Posts

August 7th, 2016 08:00

Nothing in DM says bluetooth.

I have run every driver in that list.

19 Posts

August 7th, 2016 09:00

No, I haven't. It does say it is enabled in the Bios. That's the best I have. It's not going to kill me if it never works, but I just want to be sure I did what I was supposed to First. It runs great with a solid state hard drive I put in it and Windows 7 and the touch screen is great. And I had no problem getting the network running which was a problem with my last one after I formatted it. So I'm happy with it otherwise.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Since this was a used system, have you ever seen it run Bluetooth correctly?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

I suspect whoever had the system initially probably replaced a combo Broadcomm or Qualcomm based wifi-bluetooth adapter with the Intel card that doesn't have bluetooth.  About the only way you can verify this is to visually check the card and cross reference the Intel part number against Intel's website.

You can easily add a nano-sized bluetooth adapter to the system externally for about $10-15 -- without ever opening up the system to check.  That's what I'd do unless you absolutely need all the USB ports on the system (in which case you'd likely be better off with an external USB hub anyway).

19 Posts

August 7th, 2016 10:00

I just bought one for my PC, so I'll just grab it whenever I wanna use it on the laptop.  I'm formatting right now for a last try at it.  I installed so many drivers the last time, I probably need to at this point anyway.

No Events found!