Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2013 09:00

No screen after resume from Sleep, XPS 12 9Q33

Just revived my new XPS 12 Haswell system on Saturday. Noticed a problem when the system went to sleep. After I try to turn on the system only the backlight keys come on and a steady on light on the power switch, no screen. The laptop will not show a display after it resumes from sleep. So in regular use I am unable to use the power switch to put the system down or close the lid. I loose anything I am working on because I have to hold the power switch to do a cold boot.

I thought maybe I did something funky in the settings without noticing. So since I just got the machine I did the full restore, wipe and re-install option provided at boot. System did a wipe and re-installed windows. Same behavior :/

Is anyone else having this issue....

My best,

David

7 Posts

July 22nd, 2013 09:00

Disabling Intel Rapid Start makes resume from sleep work now. I used the software settings to disable, still enabled in the BIOS by default. It would be nice, well nice is soft, I would like my product as shipped to work as its supposed to. Is this a per system issue, is my silicon faulty? Or should Dell flat out disable it in the BIOS. I would rather not use workarounds on a 12 hundred dollar piece of silicon...

July 22nd, 2013 10:00

Hi Vac. I had exactly the same issue with the same machine.

Huge problems after it wouldn't wake from sleep ... hard reboot managed to corrupt my windows user profile with very time consuming consequences.

Dell ... I realise we're early adopters so not everything is perfect but it looks like this isn't a one-off thing.

July 25th, 2013 02:00

I am also experiencing this issue. In addition my unit makes a buzzing noise when plugged into the power adaptor.

Why do issues like this even exist on top end hardware? Unacceptable.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

July 25th, 2013 17:00

I am sorry to read that all of you are having this problem.  Engineering is aware of this thread and is investigating. For the time being they are saying that disabling IRST in the bios should correct the problem. I will post here as soon as I receive any updates.

TheBlindSleuth

I will be sending you a friend request shortly.  This is in regards to the buzzing sound that you have noticed with your notebook.  Please accept the request so that we can discuss possible service options.

TB

-edit-

Dell has released an official document regarding the XPS 12 failing to wake from sleep.

July 26th, 2013 06:00

Hi TB

1. Thanks for the answer about the IRST and glad Dell is onto it.

Is there any way to stop the IRST Manager giving the alert every time I start up "Your system does not appear to have IRST enabled"? I don't want to risk startup paralysis by disabling the wrong startup process ...

2. For the record I have also had the high pitched sound, but it stops if I remove and reinsert the power cable.

Thanks

TRA

4 Posts

July 26th, 2013 07:00

I experienced the same issue and was instructed to disable Intel Rapid Start. Now my XPS 12 Haswell wakes from sleep properly. Issue solved.

July 30th, 2013 22:00

@Terry B

Thanks for letting us know that Dell is onto the restart issue.

Regarding the buzzing issue I would like to direct you to this thread where people have been discussing the problem.

en.community.dell.com/.../20383990.aspx

3 Posts

July 31st, 2013 18:00

That link goes to a posting about sound of fan issue, not the xps 12 having issues coming out of safe mode.

I have the new XPS12 with haswell and I'm experiencing the same issue. there are no new drivers on dells web site for this model. looking for a fix, very frustrating issues

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

August 1st, 2013 11:00

the_rev_again and TheBlindSleuth

Thank you for pointing out the thread on the buzzing sound on the XPS 12s.  I have been following the thread and have reached out to Zohaib R.  Engineering is aware of the sound complaints and are investigating.  Either Zohaib R or I will post on that thread any updates from engineering.

Let's continue to use this thread though for the failing to resume from sleep symptoms. I am expecting an update shortly from engineering and will post here as soon as I have one.

TB

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2013 22:00

I have a brand new XPS12, this is already my second one, the first one arrived with an LCD problem, and I have these same and some add'l problems:

1. I cannot wake the laptop from sleep ever - doesn't matter if I'm using it as a tablet or a laptop, the only way to bring it back is a hard reboot (I've just followed the instructions to turn off the intel rapid start so we'll see if that works). The strange thing is the laptop is very hot when I pick it up even though the screen is off and I haven't used it in hours

2. I have the buzzing on and off

3. The touch screen is sometimes unresponsive for quite a while

4. Similarly, sometimes the trackpad is unresponsive, or, another thing that happens when I scroll down with the trackpad on a browswer page is that it keeps jumping back to a higher point in the page

2 Posts

August 4th, 2013 09:00

Is there any way to stop the IRST Manager giving the alert every time I start up "Your system does not appear to have IRST enabled"? I don't want to risk startup paralysis by disabling the wrong startup process ...

does anyone know how do you get rid of this nagging popup once you disable in the BIOS?

7 Posts

August 4th, 2013 13:00

Uninstall the IRST application :/

2 Posts

August 4th, 2013 14:00

so i did that, and still get the pop-up.

18 Posts

August 5th, 2013 12:00

I have this same problem. Very happy that I am not alone. 

I am hoping for a resolution soon. As its worth noting that sleep does still drain the battery and this would be a very useful feature to have.

The track pad issue is also annoying, I've found it's when you reach the top of the track pad. But that maneuver is kind of inevitable. 

1 Rookie

• 

3.9K Posts

August 5th, 2013 12:00

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/DriverDetails/Product/xps-12-9q33?driverId=4PTJG&osCode=W864&fileId=3216376820&languageCode=en&categoryId=BI

BIOS revision A02 has been confirmed to resolve the wake from sleep issue with this system.

Hope is resolves your issue too.

DaGeezerUS

#Iwork4Dell

No Events found!