Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 14th, 2015 11:00

Precision 5510 add hard drive

I am trying to add a 2.5" SSD SATA hard drive to my new Precision 5510 laptop.

I need to order the required hard drive interposer/adapter and bumper rails to do this.

I have done chat and phone calls to Dell sales with no success in getting correct part numbers.

I believe these photos depict the parts I need. They are taken from this thread from another 5510 owner -

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-precision-5510-owners-review.784464/

First photo shows the side shock bumpers to hold the drive securely in the hard drive bracket - I have the drive and the bracket - and the adapter/interposer.

Second photo is the adapter/interposer.

Can anyone provide me with the required part numbers for either of these. The adpeter is the most critical.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

February 16th, 2016 15:00

@Community,

I can confirm that XDYGX is the correct cable for 2.5 inch drives for XPS 9550 and Precision 5510 systems.

3XYT5 is the rubber side isolator ( you need 2 of these ):

3FDY3 is the metal HDD bracket ( some units may already have this installed ):

2 Posts

January 16th, 2016 02:00

I would like to buy one of these too. Any update on the part number or where to get them yet?

2 Posts

January 16th, 2016 13:00

No luck at all in getting the part.

Numerous Dell chats, calls in to sales, even involved our Dell business account rep.

As of January 7, all said part was unavailable.

Also tried a 3rd party solution but the part is apparently specific to this particular laptop motherboard/bios. The 3rd party option we tried (which was described as being for Dell Precision laptops) worked in a Precision M3800 but the Precision 5510 would not even start when we tried it. We could not find any 3rd party source for one specific to the 5510 - apparently 5510 is too new for any 3rd party solutions to be available yet.

Only solution was to return the laptop and order a new one with 2 drives. Cheapest second drive option is $99. Our Dell business rep said this assures the new laptop will have the part, we can remove the included second drive and replace it with our own 2nd drive.

2 Posts

January 17th, 2016 05:00

It looks like the cable is the one used in previous assemblies as well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-XPS-15Z-15-6-Genuine-Laptop-Hard-Drive-Caddy-Connector-Screws-1CTXF-/331692120780?hash=item4d3a641acc:g:tk8AAOSwo6lWLnV~

Trying to get the original Precision 5510 parts via a distributer by monday. If nothing works I'll see if the cable is compatible and find a matching caddy.

February 12th, 2016 16:00

Any  luck with this?  I didn't get a 2.5in hard drive in my new precision laptop as I had a brand new hard drive at home I planned to put in.  Was upset when I opened my brand new laptop up to find out the cable was just not there.

I was told that I'd have to buy a whole hard drive upgrade kit to make it work.  But...I did also find out the internal part number for the "Interposer Cable" that is necessary - XDYGX.  Check out this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/40pj2t/dell_internal_part_number_xdygx_cablesata/?

May be possible to order one...

February 16th, 2016 16:00

Hi Justin,

What's the best way to order these parts?  I wasn't able to the first time I got on a call with Dell.

Cheers,

Andrew

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

February 16th, 2016 16:00

Andrew,

Since you tried the normal avenues already, go ahead and send me a friend request. I will accept then PM you. I'll see what options we have.

19 Posts

March 18th, 2016 13:00

I am trying to track down the parts too.  I did a chat yesterday with Dell in which the person took a very long time working with the warehouse and then told me to order from Amazon.  They said: "Parts are on the end-of-Life status and to update yet when we are going to request for remanufacture"  I wasn't exactly sure what that meant but it didn't sound like I would be able to order them.

So I'm at a bit of a dead end.  I already purchased a drive and didn't realize I would need more parts until I had opened up the case.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

March 22nd, 2016 11:00

@DJIBI2,

Go ahead and send me a friend request with your service tag and email address. I'll see what I can do. 

2 Posts

April 28th, 2016 11:00

I've been racking my brain (and google) to try to find these parts, my regular Dell rep says he can't get them, is there anything you might be able to do to help me?  I'd like to see if I can get them through Dell instead of through some third-party which I don't necessarily trust and the prices have been outrageous.

1 Message

May 12th, 2016 04:00

I have the same problem - is there any way to order these parts for a reasonable price?

1 Message

June 24th, 2016 12:00

I am having the same problem as everyone else.  Talk about penny wise and pound foolish.  This is incredibly frustrating.

Where do we get the parts 3XYT5 & XDYGX?

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

June 30th, 2016 10:00

@03Partners,

Please send me a friend request and include your name, email address and service tag. I'll see what I can do. 

2 Posts

June 30th, 2016 10:00

Thanks for the reply, I was able to sort it out eventually

1 Message

July 18th, 2016 22:00

Hi Justin,

We're a Dell Premier customer and I just received my Precision 5510 a week ago.

I contacted my Account Manager when to my surprise, I noticed that the HD cable to use my own 2.5" HDD, was not included in my laptop.

Now my Account Manager is stating that the parts that you have listed here, XDYGX and 3XYT5 are end of life and no longer available for Sales.

I'd very much appreciate it if you can show me a way through this situation, I'm starting to get used to my Precision and don't want to return it.

Thanks

No Events found!