Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 28th, 2012 17:00

Latitude D630, Touchpad not working

Hi,

I have the Dell Latitude D630, running Windows XP. My touchpad had been working without any problem but it stopped working this afternoon. I think i have clicked on some wrong button by mistake. So I want to ask that how can I get my touchpad back to work?

Thank you!

July 26th, 2014 04:00

The very FIRST thing you should do to fix this (don't try to change drivers or go into settings without doing this first): Look at your laptop keyboard and find the top row function keys. Got them? Good. Now look for something that either LOOKS LIKE A TOUCH PAD, or says touchpad. Mine has a little x in it too. Look for that TouchPad button (unplug your mouse, if you have one) and then tap that button. Within a second you should have trackpad access again. You MIGHT need to press the TOUCHPAD button ALONG WITH THE FUNCTION KEY BUTTON BEING HELD DOWN FIRST> This fixes this issue 90 percent (or more) of the time. If not, then follow others advice. God richly blesses, JJ

Community Manager

• 

2.1K Posts

May 4th, 2022 09:00

Please try this steps:

1) Testing the Touchpad inside BIOS

a) Restart your computer and when Dell logo appears, tap the F2 key repeatedly

b) Once inside BIOS, move the pointer or click the buttons to test the touchpad.

If the touchpad is not responding inside the BIOS > Possible solution: Replace the touchpad.

If the touchpad is responding, proceed to the next steps.

2) Ensuring the Touchpad is Enabled on Your Computer

a) Go to Start > Settings > Touchpad and turn 'Touchpad' ON. The switch turns blue when it is ON

b) If the Touchpad is already ON, switch it OFF and then switch it back ON again

c) Ensure the box is checked next to 'Leave touchpad on when mouse is connected.

3) Updating Your Computer Drivers and BIOS

a) If you have not installed SupportAssist, please install it using the link:

b) Once installed, open SupportAssist, navigate to Get Drivers & Downloads and click on Run Now c) Once the drivers and BIOS are updated, restart the computer, and check if the issue is resolved.

Note: We recommend using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or the latest Microsoft Edge browser to download and run SupportAssist. Watch this video for a quick walkthrough:

Vídeo:

Need further assistance? Use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

DELLNathaliaM_0-1691502693136.png

3.8K Posts

April 28th, 2012 23:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. I suggest you click on start, control panel, mouse, click on the touchpad and check if the touchpad is enabled. The best thing to do would be to uninstall and reinstall the touchpad drivers. Click on start, right click on my computer, click on properties, click on device manager, click on the + symbol next to pointing devices, right click on Dell Touchpad and click on uninstall, click ok to confirm. Once its removed do not restart your computer, click on the below link to download and install the touchpad driver, and then restart your computer.

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Royan

1 Message

December 2nd, 2013 00:00

Please understand, I am NOT able to "use" my mouse to click on start, control panel, etc. etc. So...what should I do? OMGosh, Help! I have been through 4 computers in 8 years...I can't afford anymore. Not with 2 kids in college now.

Thank You

Michelle

1 Message

February 13th, 2014 11:00

This is for you laptop owners with touchpad issues (and updating the driver or installing a separate mouse doesn't help). This video & a new part saved me from buying a new laptop. Dell shipped me the new part in 2 days ... and it was still under warranty after 2+ years so cost me nothing. Takes about 3 hours of time, but happy with the result. Be sure you have a tiny phillips screw driver and keep the parts & screws separated as you disassemble the laptop. Really not as hard as you'd think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfDqnpI6lr4

1 Message

July 27th, 2015 05:00

Thank you sooo much! An easy fix to a frustrating problem.  I really appreciate it!

No Events found!