Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

May 29th, 2012 06:00

Upgrade Inspiron 1501 with memory and SSD

Hello all,

I am considering upgrading my Inspiron 1501 (1GB RAM, Windows Vista Basic SP2 32-bits, 100  GB HDD), to improve performance. It is terrible slow.

My plans :

1. Upgrade from 1 to 2 or 4 GB of RAM, Dell suggests only 2 is possible, whereas I read many people use 4GB, and/or
  2. Replace HDD with 64/128 GB SSD. Idea is Crucial-brand. Now I read that there are problems with the disk-controller, it should be only a Intel one.

Is the last true, and which brands/types have the correct controller ? I do not want to get stuck with an expensive SSD which does not work,

Regards,

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 31st, 2012 17:00

kees_bal

Extra ram may help speed performance of the system,  please understand that 32 bit operating systems will not see more than four GB in the system total, that is including ram, video ram or any other type of memory.  So if you do plan on upgrading to 4 GB understand that Windows may not see all the memory that you have installed.

The system does have a SATA  controller, but certainly no SSDs was sold with the system.  I don't know if I can suggest an SSD drive.  Perhaps others here on the forum has tested an SSD with the system and knows if it will work or not.

Regarding Windows performance, here is a basic troubleshooting guild to improve performance

windows.microsoft.com/.../Ways-to-improve-your-computers-performance

Since you are considering replacing the drive with an SSD, you may wish to try reinstalling Windows to help improve performance.

TB

No Events found!