Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 12th, 2012 10:00

Vostro V131 does not come out of sleep mode.

I have a Vostro V131 closing the lid and then go back to open it up, the laptop has went into
sleep mode. Just see a black screen and hitting enter or any key does
not work.  I know about these steps:

• Log on to your computer as an administrator. Click on Start, go to Control Panel -> System and Maintenance -> Power Options.

• Click on Change plan settings for the currently active plan.

• Click on Change advanced power settings link.

• In the “Power Options” dialog box’s “Advanced Settings” tab for the active power plan, expand Power buttons and lid.

• Expand Lid close action.

• Change the value to Do nothing for “Lid close action” by selecting a new option from drop down menu for both On battery and Plugged in

I rather use the sleep mode.  I have also updated the BIOS and that did not work.  This is a Windows 7 Home Premium. I had called Dell  Hardware Support and  they said this is an OS issue.  Any suggestions or tips will be greatley appreciated.

November 30th, 2012 10:00

Hi All,

I am sorry for my late response. Dell Tech Support sent out a tech with a new motherboard and that resolved my issue.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Regards,

shachicago23

677 Posts

October 16th, 2012 03:00

Hi shachicago23,

The following steps will help you in fixing the issue:

Go to Start Menu> Control Panel> Power options. Select 'Edit plan settings' and select 'Change advanced power settings'. Once the Advanced settings open, locate the Sleep option and extend it. You will see the option Sleep After, Allow Hybrid Sleep, Hibernate after and Allow wake timers. Select all the options to ‘None’ and check if the issue occurs after restarting the system.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know in case of any queries.

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

October 16th, 2012 06:00

Hi Harish,

Thank you for taking the time to read the post and reply back.  I looked at the settings per your post and for Sleep After is set to Never and for Allow Wake Timers is disabled.  These are the only two things that I saw in sleep. 

Thanks

677 Posts

October 17th, 2012 06:00

Hi shachicago23,

Updating the BIOS, Chipset, Notebook system software and Video driver should fix the issue. The following links will help you download the necessary drivers;

Link for BIOS: http://dell.to/R4hNCE

Please connect the Ac Adapter while updating the BIOS and do not use the system once the update is initiated and until the system restarts completely.

Link for Chipset driver: http://dell.to/WmGZHN

Link for Notebook system software: http://dell.to/RF4gBY

Link for Video driver: http://dell.to/TburlK

Before installing the Video driver, uninstall the existing Video drivers by going to Start menu> Control Panel> Programs and features. Once the programs window opens, locate the Intel Video driver and uninstall by right clicking on it.

The drivers have to be installed in the same order as mentioned above and please restart the system after every driver installation.

I hope this helps

Please let us know in case of any queries

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 5th, 2012 08:00

Make sure you are using the hardware Power Button to wake the computer if a key press doesn't work. Hybrid Sleep and Hibernation require a brief press of the power button to wake the computer.

3 Posts

November 5th, 2012 08:00

Harish, I have the same issue, did all the updates and adjusted power settings with no change.  Any other ideas?

5 Posts

November 12th, 2012 05:00

I have a very similar problem.

If I go to sleep or to hybernate, there is a moment when the computer seems to stall and the power and wifi lights stay on. From this moment, the only thing I can do to resume is to power off by holding power button and switch the computer on again. Obviously, in case of sleep mode, I would lose all data.

I have tried to reOS the computer, but the problem comes back again.

I have also tried to reinstall drivers, with no luck either.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you

3 Posts

November 18th, 2012 01:00

I had Windows 8 and the problems was that one time sleep works normally, but the next time I can't wake it. Installed windows 7 - can't wake from sleep all the time. Did an upgrade to Windows 8 - same thing. Will try to install fresh Windows 8 and check then. But it's really nice when even Dell can't say what is the problem..

3 Posts

November 30th, 2012 09:00

I am having the same problem with my Vostro V131.  When I try to wake it by hitting the power button briefly, the hdd light goes on for 10 seconds, the three buttons top-right of the keyboard turn on for 5 seconds, then they all turn off.  The power and wifi lights stay lit the whole time but that's it - no video, no keyboard responses, no sounds, or tones.  I have to hard-reboot and lose my work in order to get the screen back on.  How could tech support say it is an OS problem when no other laptop at home or at my work has this problem?  I hope there is a resolution to this soon.

3 Posts

November 30th, 2012 18:00

I hope that is the fix. I will call Dell tomorrow and ask for a new motherboard if they are open on weekends. Thank you for sharing your update.

3 Posts

December 1st, 2012 07:00

I got my laptop to service center last week. Now waiting for new motherboard also..

1 Message

January 30th, 2013 10:00

Did you find a solution?  My Vostro 3550 is having the exact same problem.  Dell is working on it but has not yet solved the issue.

3 Posts

February 25th, 2013 21:00

I was within warranty. Dell sent out a tech to my office and replaced the mother board.  The problem is fixed!

2 Posts

February 25th, 2013 22:00

My vistro and several older machines all exhibit the same problem. I wonder could it be to no use for some time. I even removed the battery from the mother board as suggested on some forum. I have switched on ind off removed cables tried different monitors but to no avail. Just stuck in power save mode and no way to get out of it this seems to be a common problem in forums but dell doesn't seem to have an answer.

2 Posts

February 25th, 2013 22:00

My vistro and several older machines all exhibit the same problem. I wonder could it be to no use for some time. I even removed the battery from the mother board as suggested on some forum. I have switched on ind off removed cables tried different monitors but to no avail. Just stuck in power save mode and no way to get out of it this seems to be a common problem in forums but dell doesn't seem to have an answer.

No Events found!