Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 23rd, 2012 15:00

Warning: Battery cannot be identified, #2

Hello DELL COMMUNITY,

I can't believe this is an unsolvable issue...

my Studio XPS1340 isn't that old...

and my battery was replaced by warranty a little over a year ago...

it was charging fine...then suddenly, when I rebooted, I got:

WARNING: The battery cannot be identified.
This system will be unable to charge this battery.

Press Any Key to Continue

Press 2 times to enter SETUP
Press and Any Key to enter Boot Menu

Do I just need to replace the battery?

1.8K Posts

November 23rd, 2012 17:00

Hi,

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. You can follow the steps below:

Drain the residual power of your computer and recaliberate the battery by following the steps below:

• Power off your computer. 
  • Remove all the external peripherals  (printers, scanners or any other USB device) connected to your computer.
  • Please remove the AC adapter and battery of your computer. 
  • Press and hold the power button of your computer for 10-15 seconds to drain the residual power. 
  • Release the power button
  • Keep the battery out for atleast 2 - 3 hours.
  • Then insert the battery and charge it overnight with the system powered off.
  • Insert the battery in and connect the AC adaptor.
  • Then power on the computer and see if it works.

If the issue still persists, you can update the BIOS of the computer.

Note: Make sure the ac adapter is connected and the battery is charged 10% or above to update the BIOS. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved.

• Click on the below link: http://dell.to/Th8z4k
  • Click on “Download File”.
  • Select “For Single File Download via Browser”.
  • Click on “Download Now”.
  • Save the BIOS on your desktop.
  • Once the BIOS is downloaded on the desktop, right click on it and select “Run as administrator”.
  • Follow the prompts on screen and restart your computer.

Please reply with the findings.

1 Message

November 27th, 2012 21:00

My dell ultra book xps 13, less than 6 months old, is giving me "Warning the battery is not recommended for this system, the system will be unable to charge this battery" BIOS is up to date, tried draining the battery since I can't take the battery out. I would really like a solution. Oh and the touch pad doesn't work all the time. I was so happy with my old dell, extremely disappointed with this one.

77 Posts

December 4th, 2012 01:00

Why advise

"If the issue still persists, you can update the BIOS of the computer.

Note: Make sure the ac adapter is connected and the battery is charged 10% or above to update the BIOS."

if the issue is the system can't recognize the battery?  Isn't that a catch 22?

September 1st, 2013 13:00

To:  DELL-Chinmay S

We just bought a new Dell laptop computer at a Big Box Store in Baltimore, and got the same message, that the battery is not a Dell battery and that the system cannot charge it.  Unless you can tell me a few simple steps to correct your mistake, please immediately send me a functioning replacement battery, and a box with prepaid postage to send you your defective battery, unless you feel I should just trash it.  Or more correctly, recycle it.  I need you to take care of this immediately.  If not, I will return the battery and computer to your retailer and decline payment on any billing you attempt to make on my account.  Again, please immediately respond to me at

I am really surprised that you have been having this problem for years, and still have not resolved it.  Is Dell going out of business?

Jonathan Inskeep 

4.4K Posts

September 1st, 2013 14:00

I am not a Dell employee just for the record.  I'm sorry that you are having issues with your notebook.

This is a user to user forum to help others correct issues with their computer.  To get the battery replaced, you will need to call customer service and get your warranty work scheduled.  

We cannot do that for you here.

1 Message

December 2nd, 2013 14:00

Did you seriously advise someone to upgrade their BIOS to fix their battery not being recognized by the same BIOS that checks for a working battery before allowing you to upgrade?

We need a way to do this without the upgrade checking for the battery.

UPDATE:

You can bypass the battery check by running the update .exe from DOS and appending /forceit to the command:

1. Open the DOS terminal as an Administrator
  2. Go to the directory where the BIOS was extracted to
  3. Run the following command exactly: /forceit

But this did not fix my problem and my battery is still not able to be identified by the laptop.

1 Message

April 10th, 2014 08:00

I have the same problem, look and look, but can not find a solution.

regards

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 18th, 2015 22:00

I go through all those steps and then it says cannot complete cuz no battery. What a crock of ***. The battery is fairly new.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 19th, 2015 08:00

I followed this up to power on computer, because it will not.   What do I do now?  I was looking to replace the battery, but my battery is a 14.8v and dell states it should be 11v, do I have the wrong battery? and could that be the problem?

1 Message

June 2nd, 2016 10:00

Hi.

The problem is the battery wont charge and the solution is to upgrade the BIOS...but for tht u need the battery to be plugged in? How is it possible???

1 Message

February 13th, 2017 01:00

I have the same problem on Ultraboo XPS 13 (9333) with a replacement battery but it did not prevent me from updating the BIOS (it only cannot charge). Not that it helped.

Tried to do an overnight charge off - didn't help either, but I didn't do "the residual power reset" before this. Now wondering, does it make a lot of difference (seeing how it was a new battery and the ultrabook no power for good 40 minutes for maintenance before it) and should I try again this night or better ship it back to supplier today already (I still need a new one so not a happy bunny!)

7 Posts

July 16th, 2017 11:00

Sorry for reviving the post, but my Vostro 5470 have the same problem, i changed the memory ram, but for that i had to remove the internal battery, after that the battery isnt recognized, updated the bios to the last version (A12), bought another battery, but nothing of those worked. Any hint?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 18th, 2017 08:00

:emotion-2:

Hi RicardoRSP

I'd suggest you Reset the BIOS to Default Values to see if that will make a difference. By the way, what version of windows is on the system? 

7 Posts

September 7th, 2017 08:00

Sorry for the delay, i didnt saw that was anwsered x). I use Windows 10. Im kinda afraid of messing with BIOS again, since im with no battery, any power shortage would brick my notebook, right? But i should do it?

PS: I tried restored BIOS to default values, still the same error.

No Events found!