Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 18th, 2016 10:00

XPS 13 9360 QHD+ random screen flicker/flash

I got my brand new XPS 13 9360 a few days ago and I experience a very strange phenomenon : randomly, I get the whole screen flicker/flash to black very quickly once or a few times in a row. Then it doesn't flicker for a long time : it seems to happen 1 to 3 times in an evening for example.

Do you experience such a phenomenon ? I've tried tweaking the settings of the video driver but it didn't change anything. I'm not sure but the problem may have started when I upgraded the BIOS from 1.0.7 to 1.2.3 on the 14th of December.

Please help, I don't know if I should send it back or ask for a motherboard or screen swap.

41 Posts

December 18th, 2016 12:00

Hello SuperHanss,

Glad to know I'm not alone ;-) By the way, I received my 9360 last monday like you.

I also tried to reinstall Windows completely and it didn't change anything. I also tried, like you, the latest intel drivers 4542 and even the 4552 beta, but the flickering still happens.

One thing I'm not sure of : does it also happen when plugged in ? I'm currently trying to confirm that.

I hope others will confirm the same issue with theirs and may be able to confirm it's related to the BIOS update.

@DELL : can you help us troubleshooting this major issue ? I'm ready for any testing you want from me (I'm a computer engineer).

15 Posts

You're not alone! I'm experiencing the exact same issue on my XPS 13 9360 (QHD/i7 7500u/16gb ram/512gb) which I received last Monday. With mine, It seems to start happening after around 30 mins of use, either from a cold boot or coming from sleep.

I too believe that it started happening after updating to 1.2.3 BIOS. Unfortunately it is not possible to rollback to 1.0.7 so there's no way to be certain. I've tried the latest video driver from Intel as well as the version listed on Dell's site but the issue remains...

41 Posts

OK I didn't have to wait for long : it just happened to me while plugged in...

15 Posts

December 18th, 2016 13:00

Yeah happens while plugged in and on battery for me.

Forgot to mention that I'm running a clean install of Windows 10.

41 Posts

December 18th, 2016 13:00

I just tried to downgrade the BIOS to 1.0.7 following the procedure found here (very nice explanation by the way) :

www.reddit.com/.../

Problem is : when the flash began, I got a message saying downgrading from 1.2.3 to 1.0.7 was blocked by DELL due to "incompatible downgrade". Too bad : I won't be able to confirm if the flicker is related to the BIOS upgrade to 1.2.3.

11 Posts

December 18th, 2016 15:00

Hey,

I'm having a load of issues with the NVMe drive after 'upgrading' to BIOS 1.2.3 -- also couldn't downgrade to 1.0.7 due to 'incompatible downgrade'.

Adam

December 18th, 2016 21:00

I am also experiencing this issue. For me it was occurring on bios 1.0.7 and remained after the update to 1.2.3. Perhaps something else at play? I plan to keep playing around with disabling devices or updating drivers to see if I can isolate anything. Maybe someone with more technical expertise will weigh in on this..

I do have a FHD screen but that's probably not super important. I am interested in any solutions that may be out there !

41 Posts

December 19th, 2016 10:00

@welltimedly

Thank you for your feedback. So i guess BIOS upgrade was not the culprit. And it doesn't seem to be LCD related too (issue with QHD+ and FHD).

I guess it's either hardware (motherboard related) or software (BIOS or ?).

To everyone : what is your laptop manufacturing date (see in BIOS) ? What processor, RAM and SSD do you have ?

For my part : manufactured on 04th dec 2016, 16 Gb ram, 512 SSD Toshiba.

41 Posts

December 19th, 2016 15:00

I managed to take a video of the issue :

https://youtu.be/x-rkFvNeukY

Can you have a look and confirm you see the same kind of issue ?

I was not moving the mouse during the video as it would have stopped the flickering.

December 19th, 2016 17:00

Mine was shipped on Dec 7th so likely a similar manufacturing date(I'll post it later once I run into it.) My setup:  FHD/i5 7200/8GB RAM /256GB drive/Intel HD 620 GPU

I've run into several different solutions posted by others with previous gen XPS13 models ranging from wifi drivers, mouse, and gpu drivers to name a few. So it may be possible something random like that could affect this?

@Greg_FR

Looks very similar to my problem. However it's slightly different since my whole screen drops into full black? That's the best way I can describe it since it happens so quickly. Perhaps its due to the filming but during the flickers it looks like there are columns of black lines that appear which are definitely more distracting than the flashes I experience. Is this something you noticed when observing it yourself or an artifact caused by filming?

December 19th, 2016 17:00

Same here. Just got mine today and screen flickers. I really hope this is just a software problem!

December 19th, 2016 18:00

I also noticed "resolution" weirdness:

postimg.org/.../

Just updated graphic card driver. not working, still flickering every 10-15 mins, very annoying

41 Posts

December 20th, 2016 01:00

@welltimedly

In fact, it's sometimes only "dropping into full black" as you describe and sometimes making back lines as on the video, so I guess we have the same issue.

41 Posts

December 20th, 2016 11:00

@frederelias

The resolution problem you've pointed out is due to Windows, it occurs on all computers with high DPI screens running Windows 10 with some apps and in some parts of the control panel (like in the device manager).

41 Posts

December 20th, 2016 14:00

To all who experience the problem : can you give here :

- Your manufaturing date (see in BIOS) ?

- Your BIOS version

- Your screen model (FHD or QHD+)

Thank you

No Events found!