Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 11th, 2016 04:00

XPS 13 creaking frame

So my XPS 13's frame has been creaking on the left upper part (the part where the esc button is)

I noticed this when opening and closing the lid so i thought it was a problem with the hinge.

But when the laptop is closed and I apply pressure on the left upper side it starts to creak REALLY loudly.

The frame on the left side seems to be making this noise. The sound is like an old door creaking.

Applying opposite pressures on the left and right side of the laptop while it is closed produces the creaking noise on the left side exclusively.

Is this fixable by tightening the screws? Is it serious? Any knowledge as to why this is happening?

1 Message

August 23rd, 2016 10:00

I know this is a bit late, and you might not need the advice, but whatever... You hit the nail right on the head. Tightening the screws on the bottom fix this.

I got an XPS 13 a couple weeks ago and had the exact same problem, same spot, everything. Tightened the two closest screws to the creak with a T5 screwdriver and the creak went away immediately. I don't know if there's some reason these screws are a bit loose, if it's a design flaw or just loose quality control, but if you have the right screwdriver you can fix the issue in about 20 seconds. I also went around and tightened all the other screws, just in case.

No Events found!