Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 13th, 2015 16:00

XPS 15 (9530, Late 2013) - Touchpad Not Flush with Palmrest Area (raised about 1mm on the left side)

Anyone else with the XPS 15 9530 have the issue where the touchpad is not flush with the palmrest area?

5 Posts

September 15th, 2015 07:00

Sorry, should have reported problem fixed. The problem I had was the battery. It became puffing and pushed the touchpad up. I'd have the tech check that first.

2 Posts

September 14th, 2015 19:00

I have looked high and low for this exact issue for other Dell machines....EUREKA!  The answer is YES and NO....the touchpad is not flush with palm rest but my machine is an XPS 13 9333. It was not always this way and it should not be this way.  It had been maybe a week since I had the laptop disconnected from the dock and the touchpad was fine. Headed to a meeting, opened the laptop and found the left and right corner clicks would not work without pressing very hard. After  closer look found the edge of touchpad closest to the thumbs was raised up about the width of a #2 pencil lead. There are 5 other XPS 13 laptops deployed to users. I checked the others and not one had a gap like this between touchpad and palm rest. The machine was still under warranty but it was hard as nails to get anyone at Dell to understand this was a hardware problem. A technician was dispatched and he replaced the palm rest. That did not fix the problem. The machine was sent to Dell depot and even with the machine in hand they simply replaced the palm rest again and returned the laptop to me in the same condition, still not fixed. After e-mails to Michael Dell and Jeffrey Clark I guess I got someone's attention and received a call from Dell's Advanced Resolution Group.  The laptop will be going back to Dell depot with the assurance the problem will be fixed. I will let you know the results. Maybe this will help you get a resolution. The touchpad not being flush with the palm rest,  no matter what the make or model of laptop,  is abnormal and should not  be that way.

2 Posts

November 6th, 2015 06:00

yes....same problem, battery was replaced by Dell depot. Issue took 22 business days, 2 trips to Dell depot, hours on the phone and emails to senior Dell executives to get this resolved.  Extremely disappointed in Dell support on this instance!  Has changed my mind about switching from Lenovo to Dell.

2 Posts

November 25th, 2015 15:00

I had the same problem as well, raised touchpad.  I put up with it until it became nearly impossible to click the pad properly.  So I ordered the $109.99 replacement 61Whr from Dell.  It took about 10 minutes to replace the old battery with the new.  The old battery was absolutely swollen and definately the cause of the problem.  With the new battery in place, the touchpad is no longer lifted and works properly.  You do need a Torx T5 driver to remove the cover screws and a phillips to remove the screws under the metal flip tag and the screws on the battery.  This video was helpful: 

1 Message

December 21st, 2015 10:00

I have a Precision M3800 (same chassis as XPS 15 from this era) with same issue.  Raised touchpad, difficult button press.  The problem actually started a few months ago, but I put it off because I thought it was a minor touchpad issue.  

I showed ProSupport this thread and they sent a new battery and tech out next business day.  One battery cell under the left side of the pad was quite swollen.  Another cell towards the right had slight swelling.  The replacement battery has design changes - the old version has a somewhat flexible casing and in the tight tolerances inside these machines any swelling will cause touchpad issues.  The new version seems more rigid, with a smooth plastic panel on it.  I'm thinking this will contain what might be considered "normal" swelling over time.

After doing some reading and seeing how common these issues are (among all makes and models of devices using lithium pouch-style batteries) I'm going to conduct more active battery maintenance by not leaving the machine plugged in when not in use and at least once a month taking it down to below 10% charge before charging it back up.

1 Message

March 7th, 2016 20:00

Battery is faulty and is pushing the touchpad out of the case.

3 Posts

March 28th, 2016 13:00

Yes, i am having the same problem... its very hard to perform drag drop opertions..

1 Message

April 9th, 2016 14:00

I have the exactly same problem.. cold you send me the link to the battery to buy .The component list of the notebook says its a

H76MY: BATTERY, PRIMARY, 61WHR, 6C, LITHIUM, SIMPLO

But I cannot find it in dell's site to buy it.

2 Posts

April 9th, 2016 19:00

Give tech support a call.

Order Summary

Click on the tracking number(s) below to track your shipment(s) through the carrier's website. Items may ship separately or on different dates. Note that tracking information from the carrier may not be immediately available - please allow up to three days for the carrier to update its website.

Order Number Product Description Estimated Delivery Date Subtotal

918307220 Battery,Primary,61WHR,Vmware 6 Core Processor,Lithium,SIMPLO

view more

Delivers by

11/25/2015  $109.99

Order Subtotal: $109.99

Shipping and Handling Total: $0.00

Tax Total: $8.80

Total Amount: $118

August 5th, 2016 13:00

I'm guessing this won't be covered for free if my warranty ran out last year...

But, yes, I also suffer from this issue - slightly worried my battery is going to blow.

March 3rd, 2017 13:00

having the same issue with 3 (of 3) of these laptops all bought at the same time. the battery is expanding and distorting the touch pad and the casing. Dell of course saying it's not an issue and since it's out of warranty won't do anything about it.

1 Message

March 7th, 2017 22:00

Having the same problem with my machine. Battery already replaced twice in 3 yrs. Can you share the details of battery on your systems (you can see them in Dell SupportAssist by running a scan on battery).

Battery Name: PABAS0241231

Manufacturer: Simplo

Battery Serial Number: 41167

1 Message

May 16th, 2017 10:00

Hi I am having the same problem and the touchpad being a bit lifted on the left isnt allowing the touchpad to work correctly I am still under warranty and am asking if this issue can be fixed for me thanks \

location perth AU

No Events found!