Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

April 5th, 2017 16:00

XPS 15 9560, 2017, 4K/UHD lagging, stuttering mouse pointer - FIXED

I've had an XPS 15 9530 for the past 3 years, and just upgraded to the 2017 XPS 15 9560 last week, with 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, 4K/UHD display. What should be a speed demon had some serious lagging issues under a variety of circumstances. Confident that the hardware was good, I did a LOT of online searching / sleuthing, and found three issues that all could be culprits in this kind of scenario. Spoiler alert: I found and fixed the problem with my new laptop, and now it runs beautifully.

1) Intel display driver
Dell (and other PC/laptop vendors) generally issue their own certified version of Intel drivers, and these may lag the latest versions that Intel offers themselves. I found that the Intel HD Graphics 630 driver currently provided by Dell is about 3 months older than the latest from Intel. Updating to the new one from Intel works perfectly well (as of 4/5/17), and seemed to fix some of the performance issues. Note: if you go into Device Manager and allow it to update the driver automatically, it will actually revert back to the older Dell approved driver. I preferred to stick with the newer Intel driver -- no negative side effects that I can discern at this point.

2) The XBox app in Windows 10
Open the XBox app, go to Settings and select the Game DVR tab. You'll see a switch to "Record game clips and screenshots using Game DVR". This is apparently NOT optimized for 4K/UHD screens, and is a major source of lag. Switch this off.

3) NVidia GeForce Experience app
By default, the "Share" option is turned ON. This is analogous to the "Record game clips and screenshots" option in the XBox app -- apparently designed to let you easily share scores, screenshots, etc. with other game players. For this, this was the primarily culprit: when I turned "Share" off, ALL of my mouse pointer lag issues disappeared - completely, and now the laptop positively flies as it should.

Disappointing that it's necessary to search to find such obscure solutions to issues that should not be happening at all. Happy, though, that the fix is easy. I am, once again, delighted with the new laptop, and continue to hang onto my old 9530 as a backup laptop. Both are excellent machines in general.

Jon

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 6th, 2017 08:00

Thanks for finding these fixes! I made some edits to the title and post so that google cache will correctly bring it up when searches are made.

1 Message

May 11th, 2017 12:00

I experienced the same problem mentioned. I thought I was going crazy.  Couldn't believe my brand new computer was having performance issues and my mouse was "ghosting" all over the screen.

Besides the items mentioned above, what also helped me was updating the NVidia GeForce Experience App. The most recent update is what made the biggest difference for me.

23 Posts

May 11th, 2017 13:00

Great Chris - thanks. Hopefully it will help anyone else who might experience lagging.

Since then, btw, the laptop has been spectacular. Absolutely loving it. Still have my 3 year old XPS 15 9530, but I travel constantly as a consultant and rely 100% on the equipment for work, so it makes sense to keep the old one as backup, and use the 9560 / 2017 as my primary. Fantastic machine.

Also have it hooked up, btw, with the Dell 3GMVT / TB16 Thunderbolt 3 dock and a P2715Q monitor (also 4K/UHD like the laptop). Great combination. Super fast, great experience.

- Jon

3 Posts

September 7th, 2017 07:00

Please update your guideline!

Recently, I purchased a XPS 9560. I also got the same problem when using Logitech M720 Triathlon (Be noted that I have no mouse pointer lag issues while using the XPS touch pad). I followed your guideline. However, the Xbox app in Windows 10 (ver 31.32.11001.00000) and NVidia GeForce Experience app (ver. 3.9.1.61) has been updated as now. Thus all the mentioned setting has been gone. I try to disable some functions,  like in-game overlay which related to "Record game clips and screenshots" in NVidia GeForce Experience app (ver. 3.9.1.61) or Background recording which related to recording game using Game DVR. But, unfortunately, the mouse pointer lag issues still persisted.

My system details
XPS 9560, I7 7700HQ, 16G RAM, 512G SSD Toshiba, Nvidia 1050.
Latest Bios (ver 1.4.0)
Latest Logitech Option 6.70.1055
Windows 10 Pro (Fully updated)
Mouse is connected via unifying receiver and attached to USB 3.0 port

Please help me.

23 Posts

September 7th, 2017 10:00

@BinhHD -

I don't do the kind of gaming that would make features like "Game DVR" important -- so I don't miss getting rid of them. But I do realize that this answer only satisfies folks who can do without the feature.

As a suggestion, though, I uninstall the GeForce Experience temporarily (and reboot after that) to determine whether this is, indeed, the source of your lagging issue. You can always reinstall this, and it's best, by far, to know exactly where your issue lies.

Also - have you updated both the NVidia and the Intel video drivers? In my experience, the Intel video drivers that Dell officially certifies tend to lag the latest versions by anywhere from weeks to months. It's possible, for example, that a version that Dell has certified has a lagging problem under certain circumstances, and that problem may have been addressed in a later Intel version that Dell simply doesn't offer (or certify) yet. For the XPS 15 9560, I'd suggest looking up drivers for the Intel 630 graphics subsystem on the Intel website. To date, even though Dell may not yet have certified the latest drivers, I'd had no problems at all using the latest from Intel, and in a few cases over the years (first with my XPS 15 9530, and now with my 9560), the new driver resolve a serious mouse lag problem.

Jon

3 Posts

September 7th, 2017 19:00

Thank you for your advice. I'll try to determine the source where the mouse pointer lag issue lies based on your recommendations.

BinhND

3 Posts

September 10th, 2017 10:00

The problem of mouse pointer lagging disappeared in my system for now.

At first, I tried all the suggestions gave out by @jonstrong. However, in my case mouse pointer lagging  issue still remains after all.

Beside that, I realize mouse pointer lagging issue haven't happened yet with my touch pad in any circumstance as I mentioned in previous post. This make me think the sources of problem may concern to M720 itself or its provided driver. Then, I disconnected M720, unplug its unifying receiver from the system and try to connect my friend's Logitech mouse M705 (you may try with other Logitech mice using unifying connection such as M325) to install Setpoint which came along with driver.

After successfully installing M705 and Logitech Setpoint, I changed back to M720. Through few hours of testing until now, the mouse work normally and mouse pointer lagging issue already disappeared.

No Events found!