Laptops General - Read Only

2 Bronze

XPS M1330 Power Problem

My XPS M1330 is completely dead. The battery is fully charged but the computer fails to turn on. Another symptom is that the green light on the AC adapter goes out as soon as the AC lead is plugged in. Can anyone suggest a likely cause for this problem please?

Replies (29)
7 Thorium

the power supply on the motherboard is gone. Since it is intergrated onto the board you will need to replace the motherboard.

This site lists both versions of the board

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

2 Bronze

Did this problem just happen to you today?  I did a Shutdown last night in order to run a Windows Update, and this morning when I turned my XPS M1330 on, it overheated within about 5 mins, shut itself down, and now I am basically having the exact same problem that you are.  If your problem occured at the same time, I am wondering if that is just a coincidence?

I can't believe I have to pay $300 for this.  I appreciate the first response, but does anyone else have any alternate opinions???

2 Bronze

Yes, the problem happened just a few hours ago.

The motherboard in my system is a replacement board that a Dell engineer fitted under warranty about 9 months ago. My 12-month warranty expired in January...

2 Bronze

My warranty expired in December.  Unlike you, my motherboard was original.  No previous problems.

Please update with your final course of action.  I'm a little lost.  I don't think I feel like paying Dell $50 to have them tell me it will cost several hundred more to fix this problem.  And I won't go with Dell ever again if it really will cost several hundred to fix.

Thanks.

4 Germanium

If the LED on the adapter goes out when you plug in the notebook end of the power cable, the board is faulty - it will need to be replaced - the cost should run between $400 and $500.

If you decide on replacment rather than repair, consider a few things:  first, notebooks need repair at the rate of about 1 in 4 for the first three years (regardless of brand).  And despite the cost of a board with Dell, there ARE others that are far worse - a board for an HP, Toshiba, Sony or Apple notebook will run about 2-3 times the cost of what Dell charges.  So, if you replace - and don't want to wind up in the same boat, buy a 3-year minimum warranty on anything you replace the M1330 with.

2 Bronze

Hello Husky,

Thanks for your input.  Here is exactly what my LEDs do; if you can diagnose anything from this, I would appreciate greatly:

Battery In:

LED on adapter comes on when plugged into wall (obviously), and does NOT ever go out after plugging into notebook.  However, after plugging into notebook, the LED on the front of the notebook (next to headphone jack) that looks like a battery blinks VERY slowly.  This continues until I press the power button, at which point the Power LED on the front of the notebook (next to headphone jack) blinks very briefly one time.  Then all LEDs on the notebook go off (the power and the battery indicators).  Again, the LED on the adapter itself never turns off.

Battery Out:

Again, LED on adapter comes on when plugged into wall, and does NOT ever go out after plugging into notebook.  However, after plugging into notebook, the LED on the front of the notebook (next to headphone jack) that looks like a battery blinks just ONE time.  Never again.  Then, if I press the power button, the Power LED on the front of the notebook (next to headphone jack) blinks very briefly one time.  After that, no more LEDs on notebook.  Again, the LED on the adapter itself never turns off.

Would appreciate any add'l help (if any) that anyone could give based on these specifics!  Again, just to reiterate, this all started this morning; I booted up my computer for the first time after a Windows Update, it finished the update and seemed to be working fine, until it got very hot and suddenly shut down after about 5 mins.  Battery was completely charged at that time (but not plugged in).

To the OP (and anyone else with similar tales of broken computers just after warranty expires):

IF you used a credit card for purchase, a lot of the time your credit card company will extend the original warranty by up to 1 year.  I just got off the phone with Mastercard, and it sounds like they might cover this repair (will find out for sure tomorrow).  So if you used a credit card, call and ask.

4 Germanium

In this case, try reseating (remove and reinstall) both memory modules.  If the system won't then power up, it's a bad mainboard.

2 Bronze

Still nothing.  Thank you again though for your input.

It kills me that my laptop would (apparently) overheat and fry its motherboard in less than 5 mins, rather than detect the heat and save itself.  Epic lose.

4 Germanium

Unfortunately, though the CPU will throttle down to save itself, the board can be damaged by a single overheating event, just as your car's engine can be permanently damaged if it overheats just once, and just for a few minutes.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions