Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 28th, 2020 09:00

Latitude 5490 Audio Issues for built in speakers but headsets work

Hello all,

I have a very weird situation with my fleet of Latitude 5490's (I have a slew of them with the issue not just 1), we can temporarily fix the issue by either reinstalling the driver or removing it from device manager and re-scanning and letting it reinstall.

However after a period of time, the issue happens again where the built in laptop speakers stop working, but as the subject suggests headphones or a headset will work just fine.

I have also used Dell Command Update to do a advanced driver restore and it still happens. (Dell Command Update is installed in our fleet and scans once per week on Fridays)

I cant find any settings where the speakers are muted that I can find, the Windows OS thinks that sound is playing but just no sound coming from the speakers.

I am at a loss here, and not sure what else to do.

Thanks

12 Posts

July 6th, 2021 12:00

Hello all,

The full proper driver has been posted finally by Dell Engineering to the web and also to Dell Command Update. I have confirmed and just installed it via DCU moments ago!

Thanks

Sheldon

12 Posts

September 28th, 2020 12:00

Plugin a headset into the 8mm old school audio jack, unplug them and the speakers will work.... some sort of short circuit or dirt in the jack maybe?

My users are remote so cant determine dirt in the jack myself.

Thanks

12 Posts

October 1st, 2020 13:00

You plug in a 8mm headset (not usb) and it doesnt fix the issue?

1 Message

October 1st, 2020 13:00

We are also having this same issue. I have several users, including myself, that have reported audio is failing on their laptop. I have reinstalled the drivers twice, run all of the normal troubleshooting but my audio has gone out AGAIN. I tried plugging & unplugging into the laptop audio jack but it did nothing. Very frustrated!

November 12th, 2020 07:00

Same problem here. It has been going on for months! At one point, the audio troubleshooter stopped fixing the problem. I had to download the driver and reinstall manually. That seemed to fix the problem for about a month. Now it is back again. In the past, the problem seemed intermittent. I noticed that I lost sound in the evenings, but if I did nothing, sometimes the sound came back the next morning, only to disappear the following evening.

I searched through the event logs extensively and found no indication of problems or errors with the audio driver. The only events I could find that seemed to come close to the timing of the sound loss were power management events. I have no idea if there is any link between the two, but that is as far as I got.

12 Posts

November 12th, 2020 07:00

There is an event log entry in the windows audio event log, ill have to get it for you. 

I was able to get a hold of Dell Engineering and have a case open with them and the Advanced Technical Support department (Tier 4). They have finally acknowledged the issue and am working with them.

Thanks

1 Message

November 12th, 2020 12:00

I am having the same issue on a Latitude 5490 for one of our users.

Was tier 4 able to resolve the issue for you?

Can you share the case number you have open with Dell?
I would like to reference your case number when we open ours so that I don't have to jump through all the hoops to get to tier 4.

Any help would be great.

1 Message

November 16th, 2020 09:00

I am also seeking a solution for this same issue. Many of our technicians, including myself, have been researching this same issue for awhile now. We're constantly having to re-install the driver, which is only a temporary fix as mentioned. We've also tried the 8mm audio jack trick as mentioned earlier, but that doesn't seem to be working.

We've also tried different driver versions, up the newest one. 

With over 970 Latitude 5490's in our organization, this is a huge issue. We're receiving calls on a daily basis and are seeking a solution ASAP.

Thanks!

8 Posts

November 21st, 2020 03:00

Same problem as everyone:

• Lost sound in internal speakers
  • Sound is ok on earphones
  • When I remove the earphones (jack), the computer recognized this and switches to internal speakers (no sound then)
  • At the beginning reinstalling the Realtek driver fixed this, but not now.

If someone gets a solution can they reply to me?

• Earphones produces soundEarphones produces soundInternal speakers produces no soundInternal speakers produces no sound

8 Posts

• Sound is ok on earphones When I remove the earphones (jack), the computer recognized this and switches to internal speakers (no sound then)

8 Posts

• Sound is ok on earphones
  • When I remove the earphones (jack), the computer recognized this and switches to internal speakers (no sound then)

8 Posts

November 21st, 2020 10:00

@TGST 

Do you have any feedback?

Thanks

12 Posts

November 25th, 2020 06:00

Dell is working on a new driver. Ive sent them this link to the thread and hopefully an official rep will make a post.

1 Message

November 26th, 2020 09:00

Same problem here. In all 10 Latitudes 5490 we have, the sound stopped working at some point. For now, reinstalling the driver or running the troubleshooter solves the problem, but over time the sound stops working again. This bothers our users a lot, as everyone needs speakers in pandemic times because of online meetings.

8 Posts

December 9th, 2020 06:00

Thanks
No Events found!