Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

18 Posts

April 13th, 2020 05:00

Latitude 7400, fan noise, design flaw?

I have this new, for work, Dell Latitude 7400 with Intel Core i7-8665U CPU. 90% of the time, the fan is so loud. CPU is throttled up when it is plugged to the charger or when tethered to this expensive dell thunderbolt port. And yes, I use it on a proper wooded table. Now as I type this message, even on battery the fan is blowing full speed.

It just seems that the Laptop is more like a jet engine, or hairdryer, and believe me, it is beyond annoying to me and others around me. In this work from home time, the least I would expect is a noisy laptop driving me nuts.  

I had come back to using Dell after 10 years of hiatus. Have had used laptops from all brands from Dells, HPs, Lenovos, Fujitsus, Acers, MacBook Pro’s and never would have imagined myself to this disappointment. 

To be honest I do not care how business laptops should look. This run to make laptops sexy and thin, then ask to buy all these port replicators is pure nonsense. It is like selling an electric car without a charging cable. I would have been impressed if you made purely functional laptops. In our architecture and design industry, we follow this adage, “Form follows function”. No wired LAN port on a business laptop is blasphemous enough. Imagine the pain of getting it started on private networks where WIFI is locked out.

Note for Dell Product Designers:

1. Did you guys just push off an engineering sample into the market without enough testing?

2. Please note, if you are making business laptops, do not forget a physical LAN Port, or give those USB Lan adapters free. I give you an IDEA, which you will cash on in the future. Make an attachment of LAN Adapter which could be attached to laptop chargers for portable carrying, use magnet coupling, or plastic latches or whatever.

3. Third is, learn from this another adage which states, you shall reap what you sow. I sincerely hope people don't dump it back.

I am sorry for my rant, but I cannot contain my disappointment. 

Thanks and best wishes.

FH

13.04.2020, Berlin - Germany

1 Message

January 8th, 2021 01:00

Good Morning,

I am having the same issue. the fan does not goes off at all. I am using USB-C monitor.

Is there any solution. It is very difficult to work with such a disturbing noise. 

Dell technical service already replaced the main board, the fans and memory. nothing helped.

Thanks for your replay,

Nir,

3 Posts

January 8th, 2021 18:00

On my device I installed all the latest dock firmware, thunderbolt firmware, BIOS, drivers etc etc and it's not as bad as it used to be. It definitely still picks up when you connect to the dock, the fan barely even spins before I connect it, but it's probably 1/3 as loud as it used to be.

The laptop doesn't get as hot as it used to either, I suspect they throttled something somewhere as the laptop isn't as zippy as it used to be.

We still have around 700 devices with this issue and I doubt we will ever get a fix for it, I hope the new model laptops/docks don't have the same problem.

3 Posts

March 27th, 2021 07:00

I have a Latitude e7470 still under warranty and recently I started having excessive fan noise. I have cleaned vents and fan and it remains. I have the excessive noise when in BIOS settings as well, so it is not my Windows OS. 

1 Message

April 15th, 2021 12:00

My employer (university) replaced my IBM laptop with the Dell Latitude 7400, and it's horrible.  It NEVER stops running.  It also get's EXTREMELY hot to the touch.  If I don't manually shut down at least once a day, it will overheat and crash.   This laptop can literally heat up my office.

I had our IT department look at multiple times.  They mentioned that it's such an issue they've discontinued buying Dell laptops.  After a year of dealing with this IT is going to replace it with another brand.   Thank God.

It's clear Dell just pushed this product on the shelf without testing.  In all my years of owning laptops, this was by far the worst I've ever owned.   This incident has also burned any goodwill toward Dell.  No way I would ever recommend Dell products to anyone.  I don't care what the product it.  If Dell is this careless with laptops, then they have other lemons out there as well. 

April 16th, 2021 02:00

Hi,

Thanks for your observations. Well I got rid of the noise issues by underclocking it, or say disabling turbo-boost. I am stuck with it. Also, I have permanently removed the supplied dock WD-19DC, for it made so much of noise that it gave me migraines. The end result is I am never ever going back to DELL, for it gave me a H-ELL of an experience.

So DELL seems to be selling what they say super 'Ferrari' laptops with a condition that you cannot drive it above 60kmph (for if you run it on default, it overheats and fan spins a max revs). Sure some kind of sick joke.

I have notified my IT department and others colleagues at work have confirmed the same. Most of them have gone to Lenovo ThinkPads. I hope Dell hears this.

Earlier, the firms would give an ear, had some sense of shame and would replace without ifs and buts, proceed with a global recall. Brand name and customer satisfaction was a thing. Now it is all simple greed and cost cutting to show numbers are good. Probably more then product and quality corporations look up to the stock prices and shareholders, rather than customers.

Sorry for my crude language and this salty rant. This is it. I am waiting for my organizational Laptop change program.

3 Posts

April 18th, 2021 17:00

Yes it looks like getting rid of the dock is the only fix, it looks like it provides too much charge to the laptop or something.

I've since changed jobs and have a different model Dell laptop and they use a different dock model in the office so I don't have the issue, when in the office. However at home I still use the same dock with my new laptop and still the same problem with it being noisy as anything. I think I'll just ditch it and get a non Dell brand dock which should fix the issue. 

1 Message

April 23rd, 2021 09:00

Add a new data point here:

I got the lasted Latitude 7420 which was released in Jan 2021. It has exact same problem, and IT asked me to turn off Intel Turbo Boost.

While it does reduce the fan noise, can you imagine a 11th Gen Intel i7-1185G7 is bounded to 1.8Ghz? I would rather pick a lenovo thinkpad x1 yoga gen 5, even it's using a 10th gen Intel CPU.

More and more people will stop using Dell if they can't fix it.

17 Posts

June 27th, 2021 11:00

I have two of the 7400 2in1 i5 and i7, and two of the 7410 2in1 both i7's I have to say I love the 7400 much better except for the fact it's a gen 8 cpu vs a gen 10. Not sure what difference it will make for me in real use cases though.
Both the 7410's have this whining noise that sounds like a refrigerator, one more than the other and it drives me nuts. And thats at light fan speed, I think the higher max fan speed may have slightly less whining noise. 

Both the 7400's do not whine but the fan can get noisy when hot but no high pitched whining like the 7410's.  

Aside from that the 7400 is shorter from front to back than the 7410, not sure why the made it a bigger footprint. The keyboard on the 7410 feels a little bit better.  
My 7400 i5 8gb 256gb has incredible battery life, much better than the i7. 
The 7410 I really haven't tested it out, still configuring stuff.
But both the 7410's seems to turn off instead of restarting on Restart as it's blank for a long time and doesn't respond anything other than a 10 second power button hold. No fan noise any sign of activity.  I think it may still being the process of restarting or something as some rebooting does the same thing but for a lesser duration - maybe 10 seconds vs the restart I let it sit dead for over a minute or more waiting until I suspect its really off and then do the power button hold.  I'll have to test it out some more.  I thought it might be something to do with the lid switch to turn on,,i turned it off so it won't turn on by itself when i flip the lid open.  I know the auto tablet mode, disables the keyboard buttons except for the power, so i'm wondering if that has something to do with it as I filpped the laptop around and back to try and reset it and pressed power and it turned on. maybe it was pure timing luck.  I'm not feeling good about these two 7410 purchases.  Still need to give it some more time to find out.

1 Message

August 12th, 2021 06:00

i don't understand why you would send a private email when people are having this issue , i just recived my new 7420 after waiting month and sound horrible and loud, what is the solution? 

8 Posts

August 12th, 2021 07:00

There are two problems

(1) loud noise from WD19TB-Docking: The internal fan should stay off (most of the time). Some of them are faulty. When the firmware updates won't help call the service and ask for a swap.  

(2) noisy Latitude 7400: Bios and driver updates helped, also the "silent" profile with DELL Power Manager. I won't accept to disable turbo boost.

But I can confirm that there are some more issues related to the heating / venting problem and also to the TB19WD.

1 Message

October 15th, 2021 04:00

I'm working on a brand new Latitude 7420. Bios Power-Setting is set to optimal as recommended.

It's so horrible annoying that the fan very rarely slows down. When the CPU starts working (e.g. opening programs and working with them) it seems it won't slow down anymore although CPU load was only few seconds high.

Is there any possible to get it more silent?

E.g. a windows tool which can handle the fan, or change the temperature characteristic?

Or is controlled exclusively by bios?

Some degrees more won't kill the components in the latitude!

4 Posts

February 18th, 2022 00:00

Last one year we are struggling with this latitude 7400 2 in 1 laptop.

Problem I face:
1) Loud noise from fan always, even if the user is doing basic stuffs in chrome and MS Office.

2) The machine is Super hot within 20 -30 minutes.

Solution Dell done so far,

So far they visited 4- 5  times in our office and done swap with "same" model.

The brand-new machine also I face the same issue. Today they changed the mother board and fan of new machine. Still I face the issue.

We already have enough about this model, I am requesting a swap with a new model.

Please note that we have 100 of Dell laptops and Lenovo laptops in our company, I didn't notice any issue in other models. Only this 7400 is having issue. It look like a design flaw.

3 Posts

February 21st, 2022 02:00

i also have same fan noise latitude 7300

1 Message

February 22nd, 2022 11:00

I have the exact same problem. I just got my new Dell Latitude 7420 2 days back. The fan is very loud even if there is nothing going on in the CPU - Just 11% with desktop window manager using the highest CPU and Firefox using highest memory. My laptop is connected to Dell TB16 dock with 3 monitors and it is running Windows 11.

CPU: 17%

Memory: 44%

Disk: 0

CPU: 0%

Any solution to this?

1 Message

March 11th, 2022 01:00

I got my new 7420 2-in-1 couple of days ago, the fan noise is horriable. Only Outlook was open...

could you please advise? any solution? 

Thanks

No Events found!