Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

18 Posts

April 13th, 2020 05:00

Latitude 7400, fan noise, design flaw?

I have this new, for work, Dell Latitude 7400 with Intel Core i7-8665U CPU. 90% of the time, the fan is so loud. CPU is throttled up when it is plugged to the charger or when tethered to this expensive dell thunderbolt port. And yes, I use it on a proper wooded table. Now as I type this message, even on battery the fan is blowing full speed.

It just seems that the Laptop is more like a jet engine, or hairdryer, and believe me, it is beyond annoying to me and others around me. In this work from home time, the least I would expect is a noisy laptop driving me nuts.  

I had come back to using Dell after 10 years of hiatus. Have had used laptops from all brands from Dells, HPs, Lenovos, Fujitsus, Acers, MacBook Pro’s and never would have imagined myself to this disappointment. 

To be honest I do not care how business laptops should look. This run to make laptops sexy and thin, then ask to buy all these port replicators is pure nonsense. It is like selling an electric car without a charging cable. I would have been impressed if you made purely functional laptops. In our architecture and design industry, we follow this adage, “Form follows function”. No wired LAN port on a business laptop is blasphemous enough. Imagine the pain of getting it started on private networks where WIFI is locked out.

Note for Dell Product Designers:

1. Did you guys just push off an engineering sample into the market without enough testing?

2. Please note, if you are making business laptops, do not forget a physical LAN Port, or give those USB Lan adapters free. I give you an IDEA, which you will cash on in the future. Make an attachment of LAN Adapter which could be attached to laptop chargers for portable carrying, use magnet coupling, or plastic latches or whatever.

3. Third is, learn from this another adage which states, you shall reap what you sow. I sincerely hope people don't dump it back.

I am sorry for my rant, but I cannot contain my disappointment. 

Thanks and best wishes.

FH

13.04.2020, Berlin - Germany

• 

25K Posts

March 14th, 2022 01:00

Hi.

I am one of the supervisors from the Dell Social Media team. I see that the service has been completed, please confirm the system functionality.

Can we go ahead and close the case.

Regards,
Arvind

4 Posts

June 2nd, 2022 23:00

The issue is again showing

115 Posts

July 7th, 2022 08:00

I am reporting a more than worse issue with a Dell Latitude 5421.

I ordered it at an external Store and the first unit was literally a factory hair dryer. After complaining, brought it back, i had to wait more than 2 weeks for a replacement unit (btw. same production batch from the same german wholesale partner) which had the same thing going.

As i didnt want do wait another 2,5 weeks and additional personal effort of driving with the car for the third time then, i decided to go full on Dell Support , which i regret up to the day. Basic support is really "basic"....

After a martyrdom of endless phonecalls of trying to

-getting a technican for repairs

-asset transfer

-upgrade from basic support to pro support

i am literally fainting. This is exhausting, time intense and no one gonna pay me for all of this. Turns out that there is literally a less than poor design with the Latitude 5421 - it is a great Notebook, a bit too chunky for some (not for me), but the heat this thing produces by literally no real tasks going is ridiculous. Now parts are missing and the service appointment got delay for about a month. I give up.

I tried to get someone responsible at Dell, but as a private customer i literally feel like i am a second hand payer and thus thats's what i get. Tickets get auto-closed without being resolved, someone offered me a return and cash back policy, which i now want to use - but now i'm getting totally blocked and got a final call today from a german number, someone telling me, that i now have to handle the return thing with the original seller.

When you take a look at the architecture, how things are placed and that there are literally no ventilation gaps on the bottom of the unit..... that is a thing which will not happen to me again. I've worked with quite some Dell stuff and i never experienced something bad than this.

Now i nonetheless decided to buy from Dell directly the brand new Inspiron 14 Plus which seems like the perfect thing to me. Two heatpipes, two vents and about the half of the bottom of the unit is full of ventilation gaps.

I hope that the original store will take back the Latitude 5421. I am sick of using it for Youtube , PDFS and Chrome causing it to overheat constantly running at 100 Degrees and more. Ive assembled home pcs for more than 25 years now, and this Notebook made me literally cry !!!

All the best to you. I feel you, big big big!

Yours,

Steve

3 Posts

September 20th, 2022 23:00

the same problem is also with Dell latitude 7300. Overheating and fan noise

November 27th, 2022 09:00

I found an article with some steps that have really helped me minimize the long and excessive fan noise and the heating - https://www.gfisk.com/dell-latitude-7400-running-hot-and-loud-with-heat-fan-issue/

1 Message

April 25th, 2023 16:00

I have recently bought a refurbished Latitude 5411 with an I7- 10850H, 32GB RAM. 

Couldn't believe how noisy and hot it was running using Word, Edge, a pdf program etc. Updated BIOS etc but didn't seem to make much difference. NZXT CAM, a nice free piece of software that analyses how the computer is running had the CPU at a temperature of 90 degrees.

THE SOLUTION - disabling Intel Turbo Boost in Bios. It makes no difference to the processor's performance as far as I can see. The CPU is now down to an average of 51 degrees and if I use Dell Optimizer on "Cool Setting" it goes down to an average of 48 degrees with not much use of fan. In effect, the computer was overclocking itself on bog standard business usage, which is not right. Turbo Boost might matter if I was using it as a gaming laptop, but I am not. So, nice and easy.

1 Message

June 2nd, 2023 04:00

I have the Latitude 5421 with a 14 inch Display. This Laptop makes the same fan noise like my 10 years old Latitiude 6520 from 2013. The cooling HW is still the same design one fan on the left side. Anyway all the latest drives and the latest BIOS version are installed with Dell Command Updater and the Power Manager the cooling is set to Quiet. But still the fan runs too high for just working with MS Office tools. The 130W power supply gets always really warm because of the fan running. 

Setting now:

Intel Power Boost -> Disabled

Power Manager Version 3.14 -> Quiet

CPU is 12%  with only Firefox browser open.

Only connection is a wireless mouse.

The fan air intake is free 10 cm over the table.

Still  fan is running to loud. I would run a game.

Seriously_82_0-1685706402591.png

Please give a solution.

February 13th, 2024 21:28

@DELL-Cares​ Was there a solution to this problem?

I am in a similar boat with my Dell Latitude 7400. Running very basic internet browsing, and no no background applications, the fan is on full blast all of the time. Any help would be appreciated!

No Events found!