Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 26th, 2021 00:00

WD19TB usb not working on startup

Hi. I have a Latitude 7410 and a WD19TB dock, running the latest Windows 10. I have peripherals and a monitor connected to the dock.

When I boot up the laptop and get to the Windows login screen, the mouse and keyboard connected to the dock do not work (the monitor does). If I plug the mouse or the keyboard directly to the laptop, they work. If I log in using the laptop keyboard, the peripherals start working, and they will still work if I go back to the Windows lock screen.

This is a bit annoying, I always want to use my USB keyboard to log in. What can I do to make this work?

3 Posts

July 22nd, 2021 23:00

If you are using the Microsoft Baseline then you can change the following GPO-Setting to enable the Devices on the Thunderbolt Dockingstation bevor logon. Depending on your requirements in security, this option is not realy acceptable as it enables an attack vector to attack BitLocker.

August 30th, 2021 23:00

Hi, a customer had a similar issue on a 

Latitude 7320 connected to a WD19TB USB-C Dock.

We had inconsistent reports where either/both the internal keyboard or external keyboard were not working in the preboot environment. They noticed this as they had BitLocker that requested a key on bootup, prior to loading Windows. Original post was only in Windows, so not exactly the same issue.

The fix that worked was from this  page =

Check the laptop BIOS- USB configuration and enable the following =
Enable USB Boot Support
Enable External USB Port
Enable Thunderbolt Boot Support

• 

16.7K Posts

January 26th, 2021 06:00

digitaltos,

https://dell.to/2YfEUlR

Installing drivers = Note: Update your laptop’s BIOS and the Dell Docking Station drivers to the latest versions available at Dell Drivers & Downloads website before using the docking station. Older BIOS versions and drivers could result in the docking station that is not recognized by your laptop or not functioning optimally.

Dell-Jesse L

• 

16.7K Posts

January 26th, 2021 06:00

digitaltos,

Please allow us some time to review the issue and reply back to you.

• 

16.7K Posts

January 27th, 2021 10:00

digitaltos,

Following up to see if the information helped resolve your request? Let us know.

January 28th, 2021 08:00

Hi Jesse. Thanks, I have updated the BIOS and the dock firmware, but unfortunately there is no change.

• 

25K Posts

January 28th, 2021 08:00

Thanks for performing the suggested steps. 

Before we proceed, I have few questions to understand the issue better: Please DM us with the below information. 
1. How long have you been facing the issue?
2. Have you made any recent hardware/software changes to the system?
3. Did you notice any Windows update that took place recently?

Also, could you help me with the following details for verification purposes?
a. Registered owner's name
b. Email address
c. Phone number
d. Current location
e. Are you a retailer or an end-user?

3 Posts

January 29th, 2021 08:00

Dear Dell support,

We have the same problem in our company, this issue persists on random computers (Latitude 7400, 7400 2in1, Precision 5540) with WD19TB dock.
- It started about 6 months to 1,5 year ago
- Ńo HW changes
- many win updates, nothing changed

- Our laptops are running on Windows 10 1903 and 2004
- Changing/disabling thunderbolt security in BIOS does not fix this issue
- Updating all drivers including dock FW does not help
- It works fine on my computer (Latitude 7400 with 1.7.4 UEFI) - I used WD19TB and now I use Dell 2421DC monitor with daisy-chaining

I suspect that this issue might have something to do with dock/thunderbolt FW

a. Registered owner's name - Creditinfo CEE s.r.o.
b. Email address - a.baranek@creditinfo.com
c. Phone number - +420 735 793 110
d. Current location - Prague
e. IT admin

• 

16.7K Posts

January 29th, 2021 08:00

Argordeus,

Apologies,  allow us some time to research the problem and respond back to you.

• 

16.7K Posts

January 29th, 2021 09:00

Argordeus;

What exactly are you trying to connect on the Docking

Please click here for reviewing the wd19 user guide.

Also,  click here for information.

• 

25K Posts

February 2nd, 2021 07:00

Hi, digitaltos

We are waiting for your reply to our previous message. Feel free to contact us anytime. We are available round the clock. 

• 

16.7K Posts

February 8th, 2021 05:00

SamuelHelpdesk,

Have you updated the system bios for the system? Click here to update the bios.

February 8th, 2021 05:00

I am also having this issue.

Just setup a brand new latitude 7410 (i know it has thunderbolt capability*) and when the user received the laptop and dock, he had issues with connectivity with the USB ports and ethernet port on reboot, but the monitor still works.

While the issue was happening, i tried running the dell wd19 firmware update tool, and the tool did NOT find the dock. Only unplugging the thunderbolt, and plugging it back did the issue get resolved, he then had no connectivity issues on USB and ethernet.

Checked all dell command updates, tried checking thunderbolt drivers, tried manually flashing both thunderbolt firmware, and dock firmware, both would not flash at all since it was "latest version".

Device manager didn't see any NIC adapter either which is what caused my "undocking" suspicion.

*because I checked its security settings before sending it to the customers site in another state

February 22nd, 2021 23:00

I replied to them in private, got some basic troubleshooting tips again, no luck. I think I just have to get to used to this. Too bad this is a pricey "business" laptop. Spent half a day just to make the audio jacks work properly.

March 1st, 2021 06:00

I have the same problem, but all USB ports on the docking station aren't working after running Dell Command Update.  Monitor are working though.  I have an XPS 7590 running running latest Windows 10.0.19042 Build 19042 Bios Version 1.9.1, 12/14/2020

No Events found!