Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

3 Posts

October 16th, 2022 18:00

Finding Dell Ubuntu Image for Dual-Booting

I purchased a Dell XPS 9320 w/ Windows, but I plan to dual-boot both Windows and Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on this device. Looking at the Ubuntu Certified page, it seems like I'd be better off using Dell's custom image, as opposed to the standard image. However, where would I find Dell's image?

• 

25K Posts

October 16th, 2022 18:00

Hello, I see you are looking for technical assistance. If you need our help, you can follow @dellcares and start a private/direct message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

3 Posts

October 16th, 2022 22:00

^ Side note: maybe we should disable these automated replies for this particular forum. If you do indeed try to reach out to @dellcares for an Ubuntu issue (as I did), the support you will receive will...lead to intense customer dissatisfaction, to put it politely.

Basically, if I bought the developer edition of this laptop (this, but w/ the OLED option) instead, I could have used the standard OS recovery tools to get access to the custom Ubuntu image; this device was certified using a custom image, not the standard image. But since I purchased it w/ Windows--with the intent to then install Ubuntu afterwards--the OS recovery tools only give me access to the Windows image.

• 

25K Posts

October 16th, 2022 22:00

hello, we are here to help you with this problem. Please follow and send a direct message @DellCares for assistance. I look forward to your message!

3 Posts

October 29th, 2022 15:00

In a chat with Dell support a while back, I learned two interesting things on how they set up this device.

• They use a stock Ubuntu 22.04 LTS image.
  • They don't perform any special post-installation steps.

Assuming this is true, my hypothesis is that the "Install third-party software..." option was checked during the installation process, which is why the "Ubuntu Certifed" page says that it's a "custom image".

Still would be nice to have someone from Dell confirm/deny this hypothesis, though.

No Events found!