Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

July 10th, 2016 06:00

[SOLVED] XPS 13 9350 touchpad problems with linux

Hello everyone, I recently bought an XPS 13 DE (9350) but I installed debian testing on it as soon as I get it (no love for ubuntu).

Unfortunately after a week I started to notice a big problem with touchpad as it became totally unresponsive after suspend/wake up. I tried to get it back to work by messing around with modprobe but I never managed to do it, the only solution found is to reboot the system but sometimes the problem persist even then so I just power it off and wait a bit before starting it again.

Usually after unloading and reloading i2c-hid and i2c-designware-platform I could see some errors in dmes like these:

[    2.557606] i2c_designware i2c_designware.1: i2c_dw_handle_tx_abort: lost arbitration
[    2.557769] hid (null): reading report descriptor failed
[    2.557773] i2c_hid i2c-DLL0704:01: can't add hid device: -5
[    2.577861] i2c_hid: probe of i2c-DLL0704:01 failed with error -5

or

i2c_hid i2c-DLL0704:01: failed to retrieve report from device

Also some strange things happend, sometimes when the touchpad isn't working if I reboot in the bios it is still dead, then I reboot to linux and it's working. A coupple of times after it was dead it started working again without me doing anything.

Sometimes I could see the device in xinput list but still it doesn't work.

My system is debian with mixed packages from testing and unstable, I verified the problem with both kernel 4.5 and 4.6, is there anything I can do to debug the problem and, at least, understand if it is software or hardware related?

Also I still have the recovery partition and I noticed that there are some deb packages, I tried to install one of them (a dkms packet) but it throws an error at compile time so I guess they are meant just for ubuntu 14, there is any way to reinstall it from the recovery partition?

6 Posts

July 12th, 2016 00:00

I tried to installa xubuntu 16.04 (kernel 4.4) thinking that maybe it would work better due to dell upstreaming but the problem is the same

[ 5040.494101] [drm:intel_dp_link_training_clock_recovery [i915_bpo]] *ERROR* failed to enable link training
[ 5040.502601] [drm:intel_dp_start_link_train [i915_bpo]] *ERROR* failed to start channel equalization
[ 5098.071449] i2c_designware i2c_designware.1: i2c_dw_handle_tx_abort: lost arbitration
[ 5098.071461] hid (null): reading report descriptor failed
[ 5098.071467] i2c_hid i2c-DLL0704:01: can't add hid device: -5
[ 5098.093211] i2c_hid: probe of i2c-DLL0704:01 failed with error -5

I'm going to do a last test and try with the recovery partition

6 Posts

July 12th, 2016 06:00

I managed to made a bootable usb fromt he recovery partition using dell-recovery program, started up and installed ubuntu from scratch (i choose to recovery the whole disk, not only the linux partition). After a couple of hours in suspend the touchpad is dead.

Unfortunately I think I have to ask for a replacement, just hope they don't give me back a refurbished unit.

161 Posts

July 13th, 2016 20:00

Strange. I think I did the same thing and it worked for me. Maybe try to change UEFI or legacy boot options and reinstall again? Just an idea.

161 Posts

July 13th, 2016 20:00

Try the instructions at this link:

www.dell.com/.../en

6 Posts

July 18th, 2016 03:00

Hey revelant, did you mean that you had the same problem with the touchpad and a fresh installation of ubuntu solved your problem?

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

September 20th, 2016 10:00

@Gpstuff,

Did you still need help with this? If so, please add me as a friend and send your service tag and email address. We'll start a case.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

September 20th, 2016 11:00

@Gpstuff,

Understood. Glad to hear it's solved. Credit to your good troubleshooting.

6 Posts

September 20th, 2016 11:00

Hey Justin, thank you for the reply, in the end the problem was just a bad hardware connection, I'll mark this post as solved.

2 Posts

January 2nd, 2023 01:00

i am really MAD at dell that this is still an issue!
i recently bought an 9315 and i am running Pop_OS! on it.

i came across this bug on the very first day but noticed it will not occure if i not charge it while i use it.

on battery it was working fine for a month, 

but since today, without changing anything this bug occures EVERYTIME. i freshly reboot, it is accurete for 5-10 seconds and then changes to the inaccurate state. working with it is impossible. DELL do something!

2 Posts

January 2nd, 2023 02:00

i also noticed something else:

usualy, when it was in a laggy state, it did not go back to be responsive again untill i reboot.

now when it gets laggy, i leave it alone for a few seconds and it becomes responsive again. after 5-10 secons of using it gets laggy again

• 

25K Posts

January 2nd, 2023 02:00

Hi,

I'm Nisha, one of the Supervisors at Dell Social Media Support. I’m writing to you regarding the interaction you had with my team.

This case was brought to my attention. I see that you have reported Touchpad issue. My team is awaiting your response to the previous message to proceed further. It is important for us to isolate the cause of the issue to have it rectified. . Do get back to us at the earliest. We do not mean to rush you. We are just eager to have this issue resolved to your satisfaction at the earliest.

Our intention is to ensure that the issue reported is addressed in the best possible manner and you are happy with the product and service.

Awaiting your response to ensue everything is taken care,

Nisha

Supervisor

Dell Social Media Team

• 

16.7K Posts

January 3rd, 2023 03:00

Update = After completing troubleshooting, a DELL-Cares agent setup service which is in process.

No Events found!