This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 4th, 2017 00:00

XPS 13 9350 screen hinge is loose

Hi

the screen hinge of my XPS 13 9350 (DE) i7 QHD+ (with touchscreen) is somewhat loose,

I wonder if others experience the same problem.

It's not that it will fall down, but there is a play of about 2cm: suppose you start wide open (or almost), try to lift up the screen by 2 cm, when you release it it will fall back to its original position.

I think I want to open a case at Dell but first I'd like to know if Dell people on this forum have an opinion and if others have the same issue. Since I have also the "old" 2013 XPS 13, I can compare: the old one, even after 4 years of intensive use, feels much more solid: the screen stays firm whatever the position. I know that the new touchscreen is heavier, but this is not an excuse, right?

2 Posts

April 19th, 2017 16:00

Yes, I have the same issue as you although mine is the non-touch version.

As the hinge was loose, I had the whole screen replaced under warranty just before 12 months use. Technical replaced the whole screen instead of fixing the hinge and only takes 15 minutes.

Again after a few months the replaced screen/hinge is becoming loose again. May only be 5mm "play" at the moment but I expect it will become worse over time. It's really annoying as I mostly use it on my lap.

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

April 21st, 2017 15:00

Don't know if the policy for Linux systems is different from the Windows side, but Dell has a post in regard to hinge issues here -> en.community.dell.com/.../19995568

2 Posts

April 29th, 2017 03:00

> Dell has a post in regard to hinge issues here

Fortunately Australian consumer laws do not put up with nonsense that it is "normal wear and tear" after such a short period of time.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 25th, 2017 01:00

I finally called Dell support (France) but sadly the answer is "the hinge is not covered by warranty"...

I should have called right after I received the laptop since the issue was already there...:( :(

For some reason they are not picky about changing the motherboard, but the hinges, no, this is too much for them...

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

June 26th, 2017 09:00

vns35, let me check with our European team regarding this

thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 26th, 2017 11:00

@Barton George, this would be great, thanks.

14 Posts

June 26th, 2017 16:00

If the hinge has some play but still feels firm to open and close, it is likely just the screws holding the hinge that are a bit loose. Mine actually had this issue from the beginning or developed it early. Instead of battling with a warranty case, I just gave the four screws a bit of Loctite and tightened them. The service instructions are very detailed and the four screws are clearly shown at page 59 in this manual: topics-cdn.dell.com/.../xps-13-9350-laptop_Service Manual_en-us.pdf

@Dell: Quality is also getting the small things right and standing up for your mistakes...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 27th, 2017 00:00

@Tomvest, thanks for the hint. In fact since I had a Dell tech change my motherboard and heat sink (because my CPU temp was too high) I asked him to check the hinges, and he said the screws were tight. So this means that the hinges themselves are faulty, I suppose. He said he could not do anything else at this point without being ordered by Dell, because it would mean opening the display and it's quite delicate to do (if I understood correctly)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 7th, 2017 01:00

hi @Barton,

I'm just inquiring whether you have some news concerning this. Should I send you a "friend request"?

I have just compared with an old XPS 2012 and an "old" macbook air, both have a much better behaviour in this respect: no play, the screen stays in the given position.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

July 24th, 2017 16:00

@Rboerner,

Thank you for sharing the hinge documentation. The policy is the same for Project Sputnik systems.

@Vns35,

Barton brought me your question. Do send me a friend request with your service tag. We'll take a 2nd look at your case.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

July 28th, 2017 14:00

@vns35, you're in good hands with Justin :)

1 Message

March 21st, 2018 08:00

Dear Dell Support,

how does this help the rest of us XPS-13 users?

It's apparent that hinges don't last very long on these models. Should we all become 'friends' with a Dell employee, or is there a better procedure for getting this fixed? My XPS-13 is (just) out of warranty - should I throw my current XPS-13 on landfill and spend another £2000 with Dell just because the hinges have worn? Or is there a better way?

Thanks!

6 Posts

April 6th, 2018 12:00

I have the same issue here, XPS 13 purchased in UK, left hinge is completely broke and yes, the laptop is out of warranty but I don't think the UK consumer protection laws will stand for this either. 

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

November 24th, 2018 09:00

Mine is also loose. It is used by my son so I just recently discovered; only 5 months after waranty period. Was probably loose 5 months ago as well

I think it is quite disturbing to see that one (out of a handful of customers) get help by becoming "friends" with a Dell employee.

I totally agree with @Griff2000, it's not the way to solve this issue: It's not the right way to support your customers: To help one in a forum with several other frustrated users, and what about all the customers that are not in this forum but is refused by contacting customer support.

1 Message

April 27th, 2020 09:00

My issue was fixed by me opening up the back panel and supergluing the motherboard back together. The cracked motherboard resulted in damage to other parts in the area which caused blotching of the top right corner of the LCD. It also affected the stability of the screen when open and shape of the keyboard. (Now bent from one end to another resulting in an unlevel typing experience)

No Events found!