Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 29th, 2016 02:00

XPS 13 DE, with i7, 16GB, QHD+ and Ubuntu, not offered by Dell anymore

Hello,

Since last week I have been trying to buy the Developer Edition model with i7, 16GB and QHD+ from the German Dell website, but unfortunately this model is not offered anymore. Only the one with lowest specifications is possible.

I have contacted the Dell chat and asked about, but the sales agents do not have any information about it (or at least nothing was discosured).

Can someone from Dell explain what's the decission behind it? I know there will be a hardware upgrade on the XPS 13 sometime in September, but nobody could tell me whether the new version will be offered with Linux or not, o when would it happen.

I was very happy to have finally found a high-end laptop with linux support, und suddenly it's gone. I would prefer waiting a little, better than buying another non-linux-supported laptop, but I do not know what to expect!

I know that Dell is making an effort with this model, and probably sale numbers are not as good as expected. But a little of information and transparency with the few people who are actually willing to pay for the High-End Developer Edition would be good.

What can we expect from the XPS 13 DE in the following months?

Thank you in advance!

21 Posts

August 30th, 2016 03:00

I'm in the same situation in the UK, I've just had a second chat with Dell sales and they refuse to comment on availability at all. This is not even specific to the Developer Edition, but any XPS 13 with 16 GB RAM (presumably this is the same stock).

I understand that exact release dates of new models might be too much to ask, but given that there is no suitable stock left to buy, having some idea of time frames would be useful. The XPS 13 is really ideal for me, and I'd like to support Dell's Linux efforts by purchasing the Developer Edition, but I've been trying to buy for two weeks now, and I'm unfortunately running out of time to source a new machine. With an approximate date I could at least make an informed decision.

1 Message

August 30th, 2016 17:00

Can you purchase from the US portal?  The product is still listed there:
www.dell.com/.../pd

Maybe use a proxy DNS or something...

161 Posts

August 31st, 2016 20:00

I'd like to support Dell's Linux efforts by purchasing the Developer Edition, but I've been trying to buy for two weeks now, and I'm unfortunately running out of time to source a new machine. With an approximate date I could at least make an informed decision.

Just wanted to say thank you for trying to support Dell's Linux efforts! As a user that hopes Dell's Linux support will be a success for years to come, it's efforts like yours that might make that happen. At the same time, I completely understand your frustration and I really hope someone will give you a straight answer with an approximate date. Good luck!

No Events found!