Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 12th, 2013 07:00

XPS 13 USB issue

Hi all,

I'm experiencing some problems with the USB 2.0 left port on my XPS 13 using Ubuntu 12.04 (sputnik). Symptoms are the following:

-if I connect external drive, nothing happens (It works if connected on the right USB)

-if I connect my wireless mouse, it works but with a short range (using the right port the range is about many meters)

-if I connect my Android phone, no Android Debug is activated (debug works on right side)

-but...if I connect an USB stick storage.....it works!

Can you help me to figure out this? I've also updated my BIOS to A07 but nothing changed!

Thanks in advance

9 Posts

February 14th, 2013 01:00

up! any suggestions? ;|

1 Message

March 15th, 2013 11:00

I have the same issues you describe,  haven't try to debug yet...

2 Posts

March 23rd, 2013 03:00

I have exactly the same problem, even my wireless mouse lags when I insert the dongle into my left USB Port.

9 Posts

March 25th, 2013 08:00

Anyone asked support service?

I've tried to put a USB-hub on the left usb port and It seems to work! (connected external HD and phone).

It is possible that the port is over-volted??

6 Posts

March 28th, 2013 14:00

Hi all,

I have got my XPS 13 today and have the same problems.

Wireless mouse works on the right usb, not on the left. 

Same with the android mass storage, works on the right but not on the left usb storage.

I have read about the special power supply usb port (for charging?). But I can see, that my phone charging accu on both usb sides.

Every resolve of this problem is welcome, thanks! 

Greets,

Peter

350 Posts

April 5th, 2013 23:00

Do you all have USB power sharing enabled in the BIOS setup? If not, do you notice any difference in your systems' behavior when you enable it?

2 Posts

April 6th, 2013 13:00

I tried this as well, Unfortunately no difference :-(

9 Posts

April 6th, 2013 13:00

nothing change...

25 Posts

April 8th, 2013 11:00

My XPS 13 sample works with the following on the left-hand USB port(this is all I had on hand at the moment):

USB Hard drive, 320GB

Wired USB mouse

9 Posts

April 8th, 2013 12:00

In our cases It's clearly a manufactory defect. Anyone got an answer from client support? I've sent 2 emails in the last 2 month and no replies yet...

350 Posts

April 8th, 2013 14:00

Also, when you plug in an Android phone, does your phone show that it is charging? If not, I would believe that it's most likely a hardware issue, in which case contacting Dell's support would be the best course of action.

350 Posts

April 8th, 2013 14:00

ziby: Where did you send your emails? If you bought the XPS 13 Developer Edition, you should have ProSupport and should contact ProSupport using their contact phone number.

3 Posts

April 13th, 2013 21:00

My android phone would not debug on the left port but could charge. I disabled USB power sharing and now android debugging works.

-Tom

14 Posts

May 31st, 2013 00:00

ziby, thanks for sharing your experience, I am having the same issue! I almost thought it's time to change my mouse.

I have a Dell XPS13 L322X running Ubuntu 12.04, and the symptom I have:

1) Logitech unifying mouse - wireless receiver on the right USB port : works perfect.

-wireless receiver plugged into left USB port : bad. If my mouse is on the right side of the laptop (usual case), the cursor will move slowly and jumpy. If I use the mouse on the left side of laptop (near the wireless receiver but weird position for a right-hand user), everything is fine.

2) WD USB3.0 Passport external hard disk - plug into right USB port: works perfect.

plug into left USB port: nothing happens, not even recognizing a new device.

I have repeated the same steps above with both the USB power sharing ON and OFF in the BIOS and the result is the same.

I have a high suspicion that it has something to do with power.

I hope this this critical issue can be solved ASAP. 2 USB port is already scarce, now it's as though I have only 1 USB. My wireless mouse is always plugged into the right USB,  and I cannot work with my external HDD now.

9 Posts

May 31st, 2013 05:00

I have found a fast fix for this :)

You just have to use an USB hub on the left port. Your devices will work properly.

I don´t know what is the reason, I suspect an over-voltage of the left USB port. Let me know if it works for you!

No Events found!