Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 22nd, 2021 13:00

Aurora R10, BIOS 2.2.1 disabled IOMMU, need downgrade

I'm running Unraid on my system and after BIOS update (2.2.1) IOMMU has been disabled. This means that I'm no longer able to run VM on my second GPU. I know that IOMMU option was not visible in previous BIOS version but it was ON by default.
I downloaded the older version of the BIOS (2.1.3) but it doesn't allow me to downgrade. Is it possible to do it with USB stick and BIOS_IMG.rcv?

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

September 22nd, 2021 14:00

No, there's no way to downgrade to a previous bios version once you are running 2.2.1.

5 Posts

September 25th, 2021 10:00

I wouldn't consider this thread as "Solved", because latest BIOS update broke my whole setup and there is no way for me to fix it - Dell is software blocking the downgrade.
Since there are some Dell employees looking through this forum, maybe one of them can answer these questions:
1. Why the change log for the latest BIOS update doesn't mention anything about disabling IOMMU?
2. Will the next BIOS update have IOMMU enabled or (better) add the option to enable/disable IOMMU in BIOS.
3. Is buying new non Dell hardware the only option to fix my current problem?

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

September 25th, 2021 11:00

I can only answer #3. I am sure there's a fix in the works for the reported issues with this bios.

I would check the Dell driver download section from time to time, to see if a new bios update is available.

I do agree with you that a more detailed change log would be a welcome change.

All it lists is this:

Fixes:
- Fixed the issue where the BIOS cannot be updated using Dell SupportAssist.

It obviously contains a lot more than just that 1 update:

Dell Technologies highly recommends applying this important update as soon as possible. The update contains critical bug fixes and changes to improve functionality, reliability, and stability of your Dell system. It may also include security fixes and other feature enhancements.

Dell drivers page 

I agree 100%, they need to do a better job with the change log information so users have a better understanding of the effects of the update. If it would have said they disabled IOMMU, than I am sure you would have skipped this update.

10 Posts

September 29th, 2021 14:00

Please fix IOMMU

6 Posts

October 14th, 2021 00:00

Updating via support assist soft bricked my Aurora. Even the bit they listed was a fail

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

October 14th, 2021 05:00

Did you try the latest BIOS version for the R10?

5 Posts

October 14th, 2021 06:00

Yes, I updated the BIOS to version 2.2.2, but there is no change. IOMMU is still disabled:

iommu.jpg

4 Posts

June 5th, 2022 15:00

I am beyond disappointed with Dell for not including in the release notes that IOMMU would be disabled and it still is not fixed.  I have applied the most recent BIOS update from April 2022 with no change.  I purchased an R10 - first non-HP system in a long time.  I have multiple HP Desktops (much older) that have no issues with IOMMU or BIOS updates, release notes, etc.

For anyone at Dell that might be paying attention - even if there isn't a large # of people complaining about this, it is probably the most tech-savvy people that it affects and they are often asked about PC buying advice.  My advice will be to stick with others based on such an amateurish mistake. 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 5th, 2022 16:00

@sh run 

Since its for VM's (Virtual Machines) have you checked the other bios settings for VM? Other vendors UEFI BIOS, this feature is in "Advanced -> CPU configuration" and is called SVM (Secure Virtual Machine), or AMD-V or AMD Virtualization.

IOMMU is Intel's name for VT-x (virtual memory & execution) and VT-d (virtual PCIe addressing for peripherals).

Clearing cmos entirely then re setting may also change things.

There is zero linux support for the R10 Ryzen models or any other Dell model that did not ship with Linux.  Dell only supports the OS that shipped with the unit.

4 Posts

June 5th, 2022 18:00

It is indeed for Linux - Proxmox in particular.  I understand that Dell does not support any other OS other than what it supplied but that is not the problem.  They have disabled a hardware feature.  IOMMU is NOT just for Intel - AMD_IOMMU=ON is a setting that works for AMD processors.  Unfortunately, Dell disabled IOMMU on the R10 with a BIOS update and is not allowing a downgrade or fixing it.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

June 6th, 2022 07:00

It's odd because on my R10 it was always enabled.

You can try downloading default BIOS settings, and see if more options appear?

4 Posts

June 6th, 2022 17:00

I appreciate the advice but Dell has blocked any BIOS downgrade to a level that re-enables IOMMU.  Others have complained about this including the OP.

4 Posts

June 10th, 2022 10:00

Has anyone confirmed what version of BIOS still had IOMMU enabled by default?  Was is 2.1.3 and 2.2.1 disabled it?  I see there are "BIOS recovery images" (for corrupted BIOS).  Has anyone tried a downgrade via that method?

5 Posts

June 17th, 2022 12:00

Yes, 2.1.3 had IOMMU enabled by default (tested on Unraid). I tried every method that I could find on the web to downgrade the BIOS, but without success. There were some methods, that worked on previous BIOS versions, but Dell blocked them all. The only option is to buy new motherboard, PSU, Case and CPU cooler - which I did.

• 

25.1K Posts

November 29th, 2022 00:00

Hello, I see you are looking for technical assistance. If you need our help, you can start a private message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

No Events found!