Linux General

Last reply by 09-20-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Integrated webcam not working with Ubuntu 20.04

My device is a Inspiron14 running ubuntu 20.04.

A run of ls /dev/video* gives me video0 and video1

I tried using ffmpeg -f v4l2 -video_size 1280x720 -i /dev/video0 -frames 1 out.jpg  to take a photo, the light did lit up but no photo was generated. And there are nothing covering the camera. So it is likely a software issue. What should I do now?

(People from Inspiron board told me to ask here.

You can see more information at https://askubuntu.com/questions/1358824/integrated-webcam-is-not-sending-back-image

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions

Update = After completing troubleshooting, a DELL-Cares agent setup a part replacement.

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.
Find your Service Tag

View solution in original post

Replies (9)
3 Silver

Launch Cheese. What happens when you do ?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

same problem here. if i start cheese i get "no device found"

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

os debian bullseye on Latitude E6520

I've got  exactly the same problem. Have there been any updates?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Same problem on dell precision. When I open cheese, it does not say "device not found", it just shows a black screen, and the camera led turns on and off randomly.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi, did you by any chance find a solution to the problem?

Update = After completing troubleshooting, a DELL-Cares agent setup a part replacement.

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.
Find your Service Tag

Thank you for messaging us. To ensure the privacy of your information, we recommend that you continue chatting with us through direct message. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. To send us a private message, click our DELL-Cares username. Our Forum profile page will then appear. On the right, click "Send this user a private message".

Thank you for messaging us. To ensure the privacy of your information, we recommend that you continue chatting with us through direct message. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. To send us a private message, click our DELL-Cares username. Our Forum profile page will then appear. On the right, click "Send this user a private message".

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor