Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

August 7th, 2013 00:00

DELL U3014 Rev01 Recurring Blank Screen

1.      Once the operating system (Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit, SP-2) of my PC shifts to sleep mode the monitor does not transition into power saver mode. Instead, it turns back on and a blank screen appears (no display of any kind). When this happens, a barely noticeable glow is visible with a slightly higher radiant level at the edges of the screen. When the system is commanded back to normal operation, the monitor remains in this condition (blank screen). Furthermore, the OSD menu will not work and cannot be activated via the front panel control button(s). The only way to restore the monitor back to normal (active screen) is to physically turn the monitor off via the front panel power button and back on again for the desktop to be displayed.

2.      The same problem (blank screen) recurs when a power option is selected via the OS that turns the monitor off after a preset period of time.

3.      Occasionally during system boot-up, the monitor doesn’t display an active screen as well and remains blank. The problem can at times be corrected by pushing and holding the front panel power button. However, when video reemerges and the display seems to perform normally, the power button and OSD menu is no longer operable and normal operation can only be restored when the power cord is pulled and reconnected.

4.      Also during system boot-up, when the monitor doesn’t display an active screen and remains blank, the power button can immediately be rendered inoperable by the anomalous monitor control until the power cord is pulled and plugged back in again.

5.      Yet, all of the above mentioned problems do not seem to happen when the monitor transitions to power save mode on its own.

If this isn’t annoying enough, then the DELL technical support will certainly test your patience. They do not accept e-mails for this product line, the chat line on their Web site would not recognize the service tag or the express service code number of my monitor and their telephone bingo and “forever-wait” turns frustration into increasing levels of anger.
I am no longer sure about learning to like my new monitor. Please help!!!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 7th, 2013 07:00

zimocat,

Did you purchase the U3014 directly from Dell or from some reseller?

What posts are on the video card? What ports have you tested from the video card to the U3014.

Are you using the Dell supplied U3014 cables?

9 Posts

August 7th, 2013 22:00

I purchased the monitor over the Internet from PROVANTAGE.

The U3014 is connected to a DVI port of my video card (ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT) using the DELL supplied DVI cable.

Before I purchased the DELL U3014, I used a 22 in monitor and operated it via the DVI ports of my video card as well. There has never been and still aren’t any problems with this particular monitor, video card, DVI connectors, or cable interface.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 8th, 2013 08:00

What other ports are on the video card to test on the U3014?

8 Posts

August 8th, 2013 11:00

Zim : Try using the displayport.

I also having the similar issue ......... in the end I upgrade my Gfx to ATI HD 7750 and connect thru DP...all issue resolved.

9 Posts

August 8th, 2013 20:00

Chris:  My ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT has dual DVI ports. I connected my new U3014 to either port with the same unreliable results. Conversely, my other 22 inch monitor has been and still performs perfectly well with this video card.

I paid good money for the U3014 and hoped to enjoy its superior performance. I also invested over $200 in an i1 Display Pro from X-Rite, because the U3014 requires it for correct color calibration. Once this odd display control behavior is resolved, I certainly will be pleased with its functionality and color presentation.

Finally got in touch with DELL technical support over the phone. They promised to fix the chat problem on their Web site and issued service request and dispatch numbers.

9 Posts

August 8th, 2013 21:00

trichard68:  My ATI Radeon video card does not have a 'displayport' and I am not ready to plunk down another stack of money for a new video card for the sole purpose of having an additional port to resolve a nagging DELL monitor internal hardware control problem. Moreover, my video card performs extremely well and it simply doesn't make any sense to replace it.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 10th, 2013 12:00

If the replacement monitor does have the same issue with that video card, it cannot be a monitor fault. Our U3014 uses DVI-D Dual Link ports and cabling. Perhaps the older Radeon HD 2900 XT ports are actually DVI-D Single Link?

9 Posts

August 10th, 2013 22:00

Chris: I received the replacement monitor on Fri 8/9/2013. So, may I express genuine gratitude at this point for DELL’s customer telephone support and fast shipping?

Coming straight to the point, the replacement monitor performed perfectly well over the same DVI interface with my computer and did not exhibit any of the problems I inquired about by way of this forum. So, as clear evidence reveals, I bought a new U3014 monitor that was defective to begin with.

Now, I have to get used to the idea that my replacement monitor may actually be a refurbished unit and not a new one off the production line of the manufacturer. Then again, it might be worth mentioning that the replacement monitor is marked “Rev A03.”  The faulty monitor, on the other hand, carries the mark Rev 01. Hence, it looks as if DELL may have been aware of subject problem(s) and implemented some changes.

20 Posts

August 11th, 2013 05:00

Then again, it might be worth mentioning that the replacement monitor is marked “Rev A03.”  The faulty monitor, on the other hand, carries the mark Rev 01.

So looks like Revision A03 was ninja'ed out...

@ Chris M: can you tell us what fixes were implemented in A03? Did it finally fix the problem with horizontal lines?

@zimocat: Did you see any anomalies like described bellow on your A03 display:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19502072.aspx

17 Posts

August 11th, 2013 09:00

The Rev A03 has to be new, as everyone was still waiting to hear when they'd be out, hopefully fixing the dreaded horizontal line issue.

So, everyone will be anxious for you to test to see if the problem exist. Usually check by leaning towards the screen, getting  5 inches from the bottom left and see if you can see lines every other pixel. Helps to have a gray background or solid color. a5h linked to the thread about the issue with a high rest test image and example.

3 Posts

August 11th, 2013 09:00

Any feedback about the A03 ?

9 Posts

August 11th, 2013 23:00

I don’t see any such problem(s) you all describe; e. g., lines every other pixel while looking at the screen area approximately 5 inches from the bottom left edge -- unless my eyesight has deteriorated.  Neither did I notice the same video problem on the original monitor (U3014 Rev01). I also used my i1 Display Pro from X-Rite and successfully completed the required color calibration on both monitors without noticing any problems.
Outcome: My replacement monitor seems to perform very well thus far and all the nagging problems I complained about have obviously been fixed.
Yet, as I indicated before, I am now the not-so-proud owner of a refurbished unit. FedEx delivered my original monitor on 6/11/13. I received the replacement monitor on 8/9/13. So, I had the displeasure to work with a defective unit from day one and over a period of 2 month and 2 days -- let alone spending countless hours trying to resolve a perplexing problem and remaining at variance with technical support personnel.
Now, I don’t know what DELL’s policy and procedures outline. What I do know -- and routinely remind myself about -- is to be no other than honest and fair-minded with people I come in contact with. So, wouldn’t it be nice if DELL management decided follow the same viewpoint?

20 Posts

August 12th, 2013 12:00

Yes, paying thousand+ dollars only to get a dead-on-arrival monitor, which can only be exchanged for a refurbished unit later doesn't sound like a customer-friendly policy...
Well at least your "new" unit does work and judging by your post, it doesn't have any real issues (so far :emotion-5:).
Also A03 is just fresh out the oven, so your refurb unit can't be THAT old (at least not all it's parts:emotion-5:), so I guess it could be worse.

What I really don't get is how DELL could, and still sell U3014 monitors with A00-A02 revisions in good conscience.
The monitor has LOADS of known hardware problems (just see this forum, amazon reviews, or any other display forum. ChrisM even told that there is no fix for a horizontal-lines issue and that the new exchange unit wont fix that problem). Yet Dell still sell the U3014 instead of issuing a recall for this model and fixing it...

Anyways, i hope that A03 finally fixed most of the known problems and if it did, i may give Dell another chance, if not, NEC PA302W will be out this September and I'll be getting it instead. (ATM I'm on EIZO 27''. Picture and build quality are great, but once you go 30''... :))

1 Message

September 1st, 2013 07:00

I have exact same problem with my 3014 connected via DP. The revision I have is A01. I guess there is no easy fix other than replacement.

18 Posts

September 4th, 2013 16:00

I got my replacement monitor today and it is listed as A03. However it is not a true A03 as it has a white sticker over the serial # that says "A03" I am displeased. Now I have to test and troubleshoot to see if in fact this monitor performs better.

Anyone able to give me some new troubleshooting tips so that I can test?

No Events found!