Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2011 09:00

Dell U2410 Monitor hums when brightness is set below 75

Dell U2410 Monitor hums when brightness is set below 75. Is this normal?

My model is the 'Rev A05' and it's brand new. I've got it plugged into a MacBook Pro

The monitor is silent when the brightness is set highter than 75 (very bright), but as soon as it is set below 75 the monitor makes an annoying humming sound?

I've read this type of humming is something to do with an automatic power saving mode?

Is there any chance Dell can release a patch to fix this? It seems like a software issue as I can make it happen if I reduce the brightness to less than 75.

This is the only problem I have with this otherwise fantastic monitor.

Kind regards
Stephen Meehan

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 15th, 2011 10:00

stepehenmeehan,

Engineering already said that this would not be changed and they would not issue another bios or patch. Their suggestion is to set the brightness to 75, then adjust the contrast down. The OSD <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

(On Screen Display) shows that our factory default for brightness is 75.

April 18th, 2011 02:00

Thanks for the reply.

It's a shame this can't/won't be fixed. I'd expect complete control over a monitor I've spent nearly £500.00 on. Controlling the brightness by adjusting the contrast seems a bit odd really. This is something I wish I knew before buying this monitor...

What is the humming issue related to?

Kind regards
Stephen Meehan

2 Posts

May 13th, 2012 09:00

The humming issue is related to poor design. My default U2410 brightness is 65 and I also get the annoying hum.

20 Posts

October 10th, 2012 14:00

The product is defective and they won't fix it!!  No monitor should buzz that loud just because you adjust the bright. 

No Events found!