Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2014 14:00

P2314H (new) has BGR subpixel order

Hi folks, I just bought a P2314H and connected it to my Mac. After applying a hack on the Mac to force RGB color space (an OSX issue with many monitors), everything looked great, except the fonts. They are all blurry and funky. Sure enough, this monitor has BGR sub pixel order instead of RGB (see picture). If I tell OS X to rotate 180 degrees, fonts are crisp, but of course now everything is upside-down! I'm a bit annoyed because I got a great deal on it and LOVE the quality, especially for the price. The nonstandard stripe order will also cause problems for Windows users with a mix of monitors, too, because ClearType can only be optimized for one stripe order at a time across the entire computer. I rotated the snap-on bracket 180 degrees and am currently using it that way, with the OS set to rotate 180, and text is MUCH better (see pictures). The OSD cannot be set to flip but it can be set to rotate, so I have it rotated for easier adjustment. Does the P2414H share this same issue?

Standard monitor orientation: BGR order

Text with monitor upside-down (RGB)

My setup:

January 22nd, 2014 12:00

Chris,

P/N   07R1K3
SN    CN-07R1K3-74445-3AI-0925

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 22nd, 2014 12:00

etooey,

We are investigating this. For my notes, please post the monitor 20 digit alpha-numeric PPID serial number.

7 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 08:00

etooey,

Can you tell me what is the revisoin, the date of manufacturing and the sub vendor of your monitor?

Chris,

Can you check if all P2314Hs have this rare pixel layout? I heard that Wistron Corp. is making P2314H for Dell. Is it the only one sub vendor that is making P2314Hs for them or are there any others (Qisda, TPV, HONGFUJIN etc.)?

January 23rd, 2014 08:00

Hi dr0,

I sent it back to the vendor but I distinctly remember October 2013 and rev A00. Does this help?

It's in transit to Newegg and should get there by tomorrow.  Perhaps it's possible to get them to read that information off the back panel.  I can furnish Dell with the order number if requested.

It seems to be fairly common with a few reviews on Newegg (including mine) complaining about text.  I got a customer named "mx" on Amazon to confirm that his also has BGR layout.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2014 20:00

dr0,

I am not aware of the sub vendor. The TFTCentral panel search only states = LG.Display AH-IPS

9 Posts

January 25th, 2014 20:00

Can anyone at dell confirm if the P2314H has BGR sub-pixel layout? I took out me 550D and took a picture, im pretty sure its RGB (without rotating the screen) it was manufactured in JUL 2013 REV A00. Im quite worried since I ordered two more and it might have a different subpixel layout and with that, possibly different color reproduction.

9 Posts

January 25th, 2014 20:00

There's the photo, I think it is RGB, I really hope when the other two monitors arrive they are the same too, and is also REV A00.

January 25th, 2014 21:00

What you have posted is definitely RGB.  The monitor I received and ultimately sent back (see part number in my earlier post) was BGR and made in October 2013.  I have gotten one other confirmed report of BGR order and saw complaints about text on Newegg.  The oldest review of the current model I have found is October.  Is it possible yours is the previous model in the professional series (a TN panel perhaps)?

The font in your photo looks very much like ClearType on Windows.  It's not clear to me what extent ClearType can be tuned differently across multiple monitors in case the ones you receive are BGR.  If yours is a TN panel you'll find them to be a significant step up in all respects.  The only problem will be getting text to show up right.

This has been a frustrating experience.

9 Posts

January 25th, 2014 22:00

Whoa, you cant edit your posts here on the dell forums? Anyways, my second quote is supposed to be like this.

The font in your photo looks very much like ClearType on Windows.  It's not clear to me what extent ClearType can be tuned differently across multiple monitors in case the ones you receive are BGR.  If yours is a TN panel you'll find them to be a significant step up in all respects.  The only problem will be getting text to show up right.

I can confirm that Cleartype in windows can be individually tuned across multiple monitors, i am using a sharp TV and a Samsung PX2370. Do you know if photo reproduction would be different across the other P2314H (when it arrives) if the others are BGR? Can I send it back to dell for a RGB one?

Also I don't quite understand the text in bold, what do you mean it a step up in all respects?

9 Posts

January 25th, 2014 22:00

What you have posted is definitely RGB.  The monitor I received and ultimately sent back (see part number in my earlier post) was BGR and made in October 2013.  I have gotten one other confirmed report of BGR order and saw complaints about text on Newegg.  The oldest review of the current model I have found is October.  Is it possible yours is the previous model in the professional series (a TN panel perhaps)?

Mine is the P2314H, and is definitely an IPS panel, I have used it in portrait mode and the image quality would have been really bad if it was a TN Panel.

Have you sent it back for a replacement or just got it refunded?

The font in your photo looks very much like ClearType on Windows.  It's not clear to me what extent ClearType can be tuned differently across multiple monitors in case the ones you receive are BGR.  If yours is a TN panel you'll find them to be a significant step up in all respects.  The only problem will be getting text to show up right.

I can confirm that Cleartype in windows can be individually tuned across multiple monitors, i am using a sharp TV and a Samsung PX2370. Do you know if photo reproduction would be different across the other P2314H (when it arrives) if the others are BGR? Can I send it back to dell for a RGB one?

Also I don't quite understand the text in bold, what do you mean it a step up in all respects?

January 26th, 2014 07:00

Have you sent it back for a replacement or just got it refunded?

I regretfully sent it back at my expense to get a refund and ordered a competitor's product that begins with Z and ends with I and has 24 in between.  The P2414H is RGB but was too close in price to the 1200p model for me not to just get that one.  The P2314H is far and away the best value for the price though.  The competitor's monitor came in on Friday and had two dark corners and a dead pixel in the middle for $100 more than the dell.  It's going back.  I hate shopping for monitors.

The P2314H's panel also had a noticeably dark splotch in the upper-left corner that was beyond what I think most people would consider normal backlight variation. Overall backlight uniformity was very good for the price range, not visible with the naked eye, but the dark spot was right where the "File" menu was located and it made the monitor look dirty (like a greasy smudge or something).  I was looking at it hundreds of times a day.

I might have considered exchanging it, but I had no reason to believe I would receive something there than the exact same BGR model.

If your old panel was TN or even previous generation e-IPS, I think you'll find the AH-IPS panels to be an across-the-board improvement if you can find one without dark splotches.  If you can tweak ClearType to compensate for the BGR, then you'll probably like it.  The sub pixel layout will not affect images--only sub-pixel antialiased text (ClearType).

Here is a photo of the P2314H's brightness on a white screen.

7 Posts

January 26th, 2014 13:00

rocstar96,

Please, update us with the subpixel layout of those 2x P2314Hs that you ordered, when you receive them.

By the way, there is a very simple and easy way to quickly check subpixel layout of your monitor: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/subpixel.php

Whoa, you cant edit your posts here on the dell forums?

Actually you can. Just hover your mouse over the right top side of your post...

9 Posts

January 27th, 2014 05:00

@etooey

It does look like a bit dark on the side. But I wished you tried to replace it first and see if you get a RGB panel. This is really making me wonder why yours is BGR and mine is RGB, is it possible that they have used a completely different panel? An inferior panel to the other? This is driving me nuts, if i do get the BGR version, i do hope that i get same color reproduction across 3 monitors. Or else my OCD will kick in and annoy the hell out of me. :s

@dr0

I definitely will. I ordered it on dec. 24 and the other on the first week of january, they say it will take 45 days to arrive because it is offshore (I live in the philippines). So i am expecting them to arrive on the first or second week of february. I hope its defect free, it would be a pain to send it back for replacement. Thanks for the lcd website, looking it at, it looks like it really is RGB.
Also, thanks for the screenshot, I did not know it was there, sorry for the ignorance heh.

January 27th, 2014 08:00

@rockstar96,

Why would I have any reason to believe that exchanging it for another one would yield a different pixel layout?  That would just waste my time and money (paying return shipping) and the vendor's money.  I have zero reason to believe that less than 100% of P2314H's are built as BGR.  I don't have time for that. If I could get any information from Dell, it would be one thing.  But it's now been over a week with no real answer.  That's enough for me to steer clear.

February 4th, 2014 14:00

Anything new with this?  I'm seeing reviews on the old-egg site that suggest some of the panels are RGB.

No Events found!