Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2014 11:00

U2414H Monitor Won't Turn On - Always Goes Into Power Saving Mode

I have U2414H connected with DP1.2a MST enabled to my Dell XPS 13 (using built in Intel 4400 graphics. Sometimes the monitors (both of them) say "There is no signal coming from your computer"  or "Entering Power Save Mode" and won't turn back on. I managed to get one of them back up and working but the other will not connect to my laptop no matter what I do (I've tried resetting, switching the cables, the configuration and even tried just connecting to the monitor alone without DP1.2).

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 27th, 2014 12:00

* Turn the laptop and both U2414Hs off
* Disconnect all cables from the U2414Hs
* Press and hold in the power buttons for 8 seconds
* Reconnect the U2414Hs power cords
* Turn the laptop on

Cable setup =
* Laptop mDP out --> Dell mDP to DP cable --> #1 U2414H DP in (left)
* Laptop USB 3.0 port --> Dell USB upstream cable --> #1 U2414H USB Upstream port
* #1 U2414H DP out (right) --> Dell DP to mDP cable --> #2 U2414H mDP in (center)

* Turn #1 U2414H on
* Press the Menu button
* Choose Input Source
* Choose DisplayPort
* Go to Display Settings
* Change DisplayPort 1.2 to Enable
* Exit the OSD (On Screen Display)
* Set the Laptop display settings to extend the windows desktop to the #1 U2414H
* Once the windows desktop appears on the #1 U2414H, press the Menu button
* The bottom of the screen should state two resolutions. What are they?

* Turn #2 U2414H on
* Press the Menu button
* Choose Input Source
* Choose Mini DisplayPort
* Go to Display Settings
* Change DisplayPort 1.2 to Disabled
* Exit the OSD (On Screen Display)
* Set the Laptop display settings to extend the windows desktop to the #2 U2414H

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

There are three XPS 13s. Is the port on your laptop a full size DisplayPort or the mini DisplayPort? Once I get that data, I will continue.

3 Posts

It's the newest XPS 13 (4th Gen i7).

Connecting out of the laptop's mini DP into the Monitor's DP.

Then connecting from the Monitor's DP out into the other Monitor's DP in.

3 Posts

May 27th, 2014 13:00

Thank you Chris,

That did fix the issue. 

However, I had done that once before and once the monitors went into power saving mode they would not come out of it which led the the issue I was having.

Is there any other solution other than having to pull all the cables and reconfigure?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 27th, 2014 15:00

If you installed the DDM (Dell Displays Manager), open it and be sure its powersave options are the same as Windows powersave options. If they are, uninstall DDM, reboot, and retest.

4 Posts

June 27th, 2014 17:00

OK - so this problem persists for me and I've been on support calls to try and work it out.

It's replicable very easily and DDM doesn't even recognize the monitors. I have 5 here, all the same and they work to start with and then suddenly back to square one when reconnecting or gone to sleep a few times.

Can we have absolute clarification this model and monitors can daisy chain like this please, it's painful.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 27th, 2014 19:00

Yes. The U2414H can do this. But it all hinges on the computer video card, video card driver, and the operating system to sustain the daisychain handshake. The U2414H are receivers, they do not create the daisychain handshake.

In a five monitor DP MST setup, only the first, second, third, and forth monitor in the chain would have DP 1.2 Enabled.

Looking at the rear ports of the U2414H left to right =
DP in, mDP in, DP out (next to HDMI)

Computer to Monitor 1
computer video card DP or mDP out --> monitor 1 DP in or mDP in via the Dell mDP to DP cable

Monitor 1 to Monitor 2
Monitor 1 DP out --> Dell DP to mDP cable --> Monitor 2 mDP in

Monitor 2 to Monitor 3
Monitor 2 DP out --> Dell DP to mDP cable --> Monitor 3 mDP in

Monitor 3 to Monitor 4
Monitor 3 DP out --> Dell DP to mDP cable --> Monitor 4 mDP in

Monitor 4 to Monitor 5
Monitor 4 DP out --> Dell DP to mDP cable --> Monitor 5 mDP in

4 Posts

June 29th, 2014 16:00

I actually meant I've tried 5 different monitors in a 2 monitor extension setup.

I have everything setup exactly as requested and have had it working as such. As the previous guy cites, I dare say with enough connecting, reconnecting and then switching off and on again I can get back there but are we honestly saying this has to be done after it gets upset when you switch off/sleep/go for an hour?

I have the latest generation XPS13, the specs are available. Support seem to suggest no one has ever done this setup in the world before. I can not believe this is so unreliable.

The provided Intel control panel for topology also seems completely messed up most of the time (it says select displays, but doesn't actually allow you to select). Is this software reliable or is there other software available to better manage?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 4th, 2014 20:00

I was unable to get an XPS 13 to test. Ask the XPS 13 users on the Laptop Video board if they could get the XPS + dual monitors in a DP1.2 daisy chain to run successfully.

1 Message

November 14th, 2014 08:00

Thanks, Chris M, for your very helpful tips.   It worked like a charm  :  )

1 Message

December 19th, 2014 15:00

on my Microsoft Surface Pro 3 this solution works for the moment as well if I plug in the upstream cable a USB 3.0 port on the dock.

1 Message

December 22nd, 2014 16:00

Hi Chris,

I have a Surface Pro 2 with two U2414H monitors.  I have setup my monitors in the config that you outlined above, including the USB cable.  I also installed the DDM software but it doesn't actually detect the monitors.  I can get the monitors working, but they will intermittently go into power save mode and I will have to reconfigure the monitors in the windows screen resolution dialogue.It will work again for awhile, and the next time I sit down they may or may not be configured as I left them.  Any hints for me?

Cheers,

Steve

1 Message

December 23rd, 2014 06:00

Steve,

I have 24 of these monitors in my office and there definitely seems to be a power-save issue with this model.  I find the only way to get the monitors un-stuck is to pull the power cord and reconnect.   I am looking into opening a support case.

Andy

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 8th, 2015 14:00

Customers with this issue should contact Dell Customer Service for their country and get the monitor exchanged.

No Events found!