Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 19th, 2013 04:00

U3014, Flickering lines

I just bought a Dell U3014 and I have a problem. I have a EVGA GeForce GTX 285 and running it at 2560x1600 with the DVI cable from the monitor. I get random flickering lines across the monitor when I turn it off and on again. Here is how the problem works:

Everything is shut down ( PC and monitor ).
I start the PC & the monitor and I have no problems. I turn off the monitor and turn it on again ( while PC is still working ) the problem appears.
I restart the PC, the problem is still there ( the lines appear even in low resolutions when the PC is starting).
I turn off the PC and the monitor and the problem disappears.

Maybe is not the monitor and it's either the graphic card, or the connectors from the graphic card or the DVI cable. I'm thinking to buy a geforce gtx 6xx with displayport or minidisplay port so I can use the DP to mini-DP cable from the monitor but I'm not sure this will solve my problem. Here is a video with the flickering lines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrM59AM14A0&feature=youtu.be

I made it with HTC One X. I hope it's clear enough. I recorded on the left side of the screen but the lines appear on the right side too. most of the lines appear in the middle part of height but some lines appear at the top too.

Any suggestions?

1.5K Posts

April 19th, 2013 05:00

Hi dandreid,

Dell U3014 Monitor provides a self-test feature that allows you to check whether your monitor is functioning properly. Here are the steps:

• Turn Off both your computer and the monitor.
  • Unplug the video cable from the back of the computer. To ensure proper Self-Test operation, remove all video cables from the back of computer.
  • Turn on the monitor.
  • The floating dialog box should appear on-screen (against a black background) if the monitor cannot sense a video signal and is working correctly. While in self-test mode, the power LED remains white.
  • Depending upon the selected input, one of the dialogs shown below will continuously scroll through the screen.

• This box also appears during normal system operation if the video cable becomes disconnected or damaged.
  • Turn Off your monitor and reconnect the video cable; then turn On both your computer and the monitor.

If your monitor screen remains blank after you use the previous procedure, check your video controller and computer, because your monitor is functioning properly.

You may also perform Built-in Diagnostics to determine if the screen abnormality you are experiencing is an inherent problem with your monitor, or with your computer and video card. Here are the steps:

• Ensure that the screen is clean (no dust particles on the surface of the screen).
  • Unplug the video cable(s) from the back of the computer or monitor. The monitor then goes into the self-test mode.
  • Press and hold the 'Button 1' and 'Button 4' on the front panel simultaneously for 2 seconds. A gray screen appears.
  • Carefully inspect the screen for abnormalities.
  • Press the 'Button 4' on the front panel again. The color of the screen changes to red.
  • Inspect the display for any abnormalities.
  • Repeat steps 5 and 6 to inspect the display in gray, red, green, blue, black, white, and text screens.
  • The test is complete when the white screen appears. To exit, press the 'Button 4' again.

Note: You can run the built-in diagnostics only when the video cable is unplugged and the monitor is in 'self-test mode'.

If you do not detect any screen abnormalities upon using the built-in diagnostic tool, the monitor is functioning properly. Check the video card and computer.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

4 Posts

April 19th, 2013 06:00

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I did those tests and everything was fine.

As I said, when I turn ON the computer and the monitor, everything works fine.

When I turn OFF only the monitor ( to take a break for example) and I turn it back ON, those lines started to appear. They don't disappear until I turn OFF the computer.

Also...I just got another problem.

I tried to turn off the smart video enhance from the monitors menu...as seen in the link below...but the menu of the monitor froze...the buttons don't work anymore. I was able to turn off the monitor after a long press on the power button, but when I turned on the monitor again...the menu doesn't show up.

Also there are some colored dotes on the froze menu.

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/6126/imag26491111.jpg

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 19th, 2013 07:00

dandreid,

Are you using the DVD-D Dual Link cable that shipped with the U3014? List all of the available ports on your EVGA GeForce GTX 285.

1.5K Posts

April 19th, 2013 07:00

Hi dandreid,

Thank you for sharing the information.

I recommend that you try connecting the monitor to another system to replicate the issue. You may also try changing the display cables with known good one.

Also, reset the monitor to factory defaults once. Here are the steps:

• Bring up the OSD Menu.
  • Use the buttons on the monitor panel to highlight 'Other Settings'.
  • Select the 'Factory Reset' option and restore the monitor settings to factory defaults.

You may also refer to the manual of the monitor from the link http://bit.ly/14rHLaU.

Please reply with findings.

4 Posts

April 19th, 2013 08:00

@DELL-Saharsh K: I'll try to find another system and I'll buy another cable.

I did a factory reset this morning. ( it's almost 6 PM now )

Right now the OSD Menu doesn't show up. :) and I still have to long-press the power button to close the monitor.

@ DELL-Chris M: Yes, I'm using the DVD-D Dual Link cable from the U3014.

The ports from my EVGA GeForce GTX 285 are: two dual-link DVI and one HDTV

I tried on both DVI connectors.

Thank you.

4 Posts

April 20th, 2013 07:00

Hello,

I have new information about this problem.

When I start the monitor and the PC...the problem with the lines appears...after a few minutes it stops...everything is ok.

When I turn off the monitor and turn it back on...the problem re-appears...and again, after a few minutes it stops.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Andrei

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 22nd, 2013 09:00

* Open the DDM (Dell Display Manager)
* Click Auto Mode. This should open the Auto Mode tab
* For all listings, change them to Standard

Retest for lines.

3 Posts

April 22nd, 2013 09:00

Hello ,

I have the same monitor for 4 weeks and experiencing exactly the same issues as Dandreid. strange lines after monitor startup (few minutes), long pressing ON/off button, OSD issues... and you should definitely turn off the video movie enhancements by default at factory. That's more of a bad joke.

just to add "I've had it at studio for 4 weeks and took it home now ... 2 different computers, same systems windows7 64bit, sadly same problems)

3 Posts

April 23rd, 2013 02:00

Hello, no change ... lines still there,

1.5K Posts

April 25th, 2013 09:00

Hi DenkoM,

It appears to be an hardware failure and require replacement. Please reply to me with the below mentioned information through a private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation):

• Owner's Name.
  • Serial Number of Monitor.
  • Purchase Order Number.
  • Service Tag.
  • Country from where it was purchased.
  • Country where it is currently located.
  • Email Address.
  • Contact Number
  • Complete shipping address.

Please reply if you have any questions.

3 Posts

May 24th, 2013 05:00

Just to update... My monitor have been replaced and new one works properly. Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 24th, 2013 08:00

DenkoM,

Do you remember the PPID and revision of the first U3014?

What is the PPID and revision of the replacement U3014? 

1.5K Posts

May 24th, 2013 08:00

Hi DenkoM,

I’m delighted to hear that!

Do reach out to us if you need any assistance in future. I'll be happy to help.

5 Posts

May 30th, 2013 20:00

Hey Guys,

Just got my new u3014 today and experiencing the exact same problems as these two users.  It's eerie as the symptoms are exactly the same. 

1. Flickering lines as in the Dried video(thanks for that btw)

2. OSD menu acts erratically, sometimes freezes, mostly will not respond to button press

3. Often will lose signal and have to power cycle to get monitor to respond.

I have a

Win 8, 64 bit

4 gb ram

Nvidia 660TI 

Tried both the Displayport cable and the Dual DVI that came with the monitor. 

Is this def a hardware issue?  What steps should I take? 

Charles

5 Posts

May 30th, 2013 21:00

One last bit is my old monitor was a Dell 2405FPW, which ran perfectly. None of these issues. It still runs fine, I just wanted a bigger monitor.

Charles

No Events found!