Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 25th, 2022 06:00

Problem with storage node on NetWorker version 19.7

Hello,

after upgrade NetWorker from version 19.1.1 to version 19.7.0 I've noticed next problem:
backup over storage node (different as NetWorker server) on version 19.7.0 does not work anymore (hang and/or fail)!
It doesn't matter if this storage node works with Tape Library or Data Domain.
Backup over NetWorker server works (but server is virtual machine and can not be storage node for Tape Library!)

When I downgrade on specific storage node on previous version (19.1.1) it works again!
I've upgrade now on last version 19.7.0.1, but the problem stay!

NetWorker server runs on RHEL 7.9 OS.

Does anybody have same experience and what can be wrong?

Regards,

Andrej

2.4K Posts

August 30th, 2022 14:00

I never suggested that you downgrade the server. Instead you should update the SN to proceed.

2.4K Posts

August 26th, 2022 13:00

In fact, the recommended way to updtae the SNs first. So that they will be ready to support the latest features once the server will be updated.

Is there any reason that prevents you to update the SNs as well?

8 Posts

August 30th, 2022 03:00

Thanks, actually not, but now the server is updated first. Downgrade of server  is not good solution now...

Andrej

October 4th, 2022 11:00

We always upgrade the NW storage nodes, when upgrading the NW server. They always should be the exact same version. The regular clients can run a lower version.

As the nw19.7 "Updating to NetWorker 19.7 from a Previous NetWorker Release" states:

"It is recommended that you update the hosts in the datazone in the following order:
1. NetWorker Server. On Linux, also configure NetWorker Authentication Service.
2. NMC Server.
3. All NetWorker Storage Nodes.
4. NetWorker Clients."

While the https://elabnavigator.dell.com/eln/modernHomeAutomatedTiles?page=NetWorker states for nw19.7 https://elabnavigator.dell.com/vault/pdf/NW_All_19_7.pdf :

"For RPS Clone enabled workflow, it is highly recommended to have same NW Storage Node version same as NW Server version", even though nw19.6 and 19.5 are supported, but none of the lower versions is. So hence it is best to simply keep NW server and NW SN's at the same version at any time.

2.4K Posts

October 4th, 2022 13:00

In fact I would always start with the storage nodes because then they are ready for the new version if you update the NW server.

October 5th, 2022 04:00

But then still in one go I assume, as the NW simple support matrix clearly states that a higher NW SN version is not supported?

I tended to use the same approach for years (however that is from NW8 or before if memory serves me well, to first do the NW SN's, whereas with NW9 onwards it would be to first upgrade the NW server and then directly next the NW SN's, which is therefor also reflected as such in the simple support matrix below).

But still regardless I often first added the newer NW version to the NW software library, updated the NW SN's and after that performed the NW server upgrade, before testing the backups of the upgraded NW server and SN's afterwards.
2022-10-05_134121.png

2.4K Posts

October 5th, 2022 23:00

So what? - I did not say that you should really run such configuration in production. I just mentioned that I would change the installation sequence a little bit.

No Events found!