Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 27th, 2022 07:00

what is networker Pseudo Saveset

Hello . I am fairly new to Networker and I was wondering what is networker Pseudo Saveset.

I cant find any explanation on the  web and I see it often backed up alongside normal savesets  and I was wondering what exactly is a pseudo saveset and why would the backup fail only for it , if the rest of the savesets are backed up successfully ?

Thanks ! 

July 3rd, 2022 09:00

Still as stated by bingo, it helps statimg wjat version (nw server and client) you are dealing with as various have been solved or reintroduced along the way. Also if you actually have suppprt or are able to sift through the Dell KB articles, like below one that stayes to look at the inactivity timeput amd also to have a high enough client paralellism as workaround.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/nl-nl/000050051/pseudo-saveset-aborted-inactivity-timeout-has-been-reached?lang=en

"pseudo_saveset is a metadata anchor saveset used to register important parameters concerning the workflow of client jobs and is quite important for features such as immediate cloning of individual savesets; it is automatically generated at the start of the backup as an indicator of the list of savesets configured to start for the client"

"The workaround of that problem is to assure that the client does not have any parallelism constraints (setting the client parallelism to a higher value to assure that all save sessions can be executed simultaneously).
- The default value for Client Parallelism is set to 4.
- As an example try to increase the Client Parallelism value to 10.
- it is expected that 9.1.1.5 would have a fix for the suspected defect."

2.4K Posts

June 28th, 2022 00:00

From one of my earlier responses ...

The pseudo_saveset is a kind of construct which NW now creates to each backup workflow. And NW does this even for ordinary file backups. It 'only' carries metadata which a user/admin will not see until he carefully inspects the logs.

So if there is a problem wit a pseudo_save set the normal backup will not even start. And in this case there is usually something fundamental going wrong. Please have a look at the other messages to investigate the issue.

I do not remember a case where the save sets were backed up fine but the pseudo save set failed. I do not say that this is impossible, but could you provide more details or a screenshot?

10 Posts

June 28th, 2022 00:00

Cadpture.PNG

 if you look here there was the saveset C:\ failed alongside the pseudosaveset . but there were others successfully backed up. 

now I just want to understand what it is .its not a big deal if it fails  .

what kind of metadata it carries ? 

2.4K Posts

June 28th, 2022 04:00

First of all - the pseudo save set has no recoverable data. It will be created during the process and will disappear later - you will never find such save set in the save set list (mminfo).

In your case, the backup of the system volume failed so the 'controlling save set' also fails. I am pretty sure it is OS and NW version dependent but as long as you only state the status, not even the error message details, nobody will really be able to help.

I was scared that - as you said - the pseudo_save set fails even if all other save set will be backed up successfully. This would be strange.

BTW - my personal guess is that your NW installation is not running the current version 19.6.x - I have not seen a pseudo save set information for a while.

10 Posts

June 28th, 2022 06:00

we don't use 19.6. I dont control what version we use . I just use it.

the failed backUP is easy to fix . I was just wondering what is the pseudo_saveset , this being my initial question , and why , as you said, cant find it with mminfo 

2.4K Posts

June 28th, 2022 07:00

Just for further requests ... to get a good answer, it often helps if one does not only state what does not work but also a little bit about the environment.

No Events found!