Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2006 14:00

5324 SSH help needed

Hello,

Is there a document that has the basic steps to configure the 5324 for SSH.
I have:
ip ssh server
ip ssh pubkey-auth

and I've generated the keys. I've looked over the CLI documentation on ssh, but I'm not quite sure of all the required steps. Please help. thx

128 Posts

March 13th, 2006 09:00

Hi Jstiavelli

Hopefully the below guide will help you in configuring SSH, also remember that the PC5324 only supports SSHv2 so ensure your client is using V2.

SSH Implementation

A valid username and password MUST be assigned in order to login via SSH after the keys are created.

The PowerConnect 5324 utilizes both RSA and DSA encryption algorithms. In order for the switch to communicate via the SSH protocol, the keys for both algorithms need to be generated. The key requirements for HTTPS connections are a similar process. Generation of all of these keys are included in the sequence below:

Enabling SSH
1. At the Privileged Exec prompt, type "configure" and press [Enter] - to enter the global configuration mode.

2. Type "crypto certificate generate key-generate" and press [Enter]. - This will generate the key for the digital certificate for HTTPS access. During the key generation process, you will receive output stating the encryption strength and the progress for saving the key to flash memory.

3. Type "crypto key generate dsa" and press [Enter] - to generate the key for the DSA algorithm. You may be prompted to replace the old key. If so, type yes and press [Enter]. This process may take a few minutes.

4. Type "crypto key generate rsa" and press [Enter]- to generate the key for the RSA algorithm. You may be prompted to replace the old key. If so, type yes and press [Enter]. This process may take a few seconds.

5. After typing exit and press [Enter] to return to Privileged Exec level, type "show crypto hostkey rsa" to view the newly generated RSA key and fingerprint.

6. Type "show crypto hostkey dsa" to view the newly generated DSA key and fingerprint.

7. Once the SSH keys are created, the internal SSH server can be enabled and accept connections.
At the Privileged Exec prompt, type "configure" and press [Enter] to enter the global configuration mode.

8. Type "ip ssh server" and press [Enter]. This will enable and start the SSH server on the switch.

9. Type "ip ssh port [port #]" and press [Enter]. This will assign a specific port number for the SSH server to respond to. If this parameter isn't configured, the default port is 22.

10. Type "ip ssh pubkey-auth" and press [Enter]. This will enables public key authentication for incoming SSH sessions.

13 Posts

March 13th, 2006 11:00

Thx!  I'll give it a try. 

1 Message

December 12th, 2016 16:00

works like a charm, thanks for this!

I found out what I did wrong/ forgot.

No Events found!