Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

6 Posts

March 30th, 2021 16:00

SNMP v3 on Dell Networking N-series

We have an older Dell EMC Networking N1524 on which I just updated the firmware to the latest version (6.6.0.24). I also want to monitor this switch, so I am attempting to configure SNMP v3 on it. However, I get an error when attempting to create the SNMP v3 user account.

Settings for the account:

• Group Name: DefaultRead
  • Authentication Method: sha-key
  • Password: (40-character string)
  • Privacy: des-key
  • Authentication Key: (40-charcter string)

With those settings in the Web UI, I get the error message:

"Error! Could not add the user priv key."

With those settings in the CLI, I get the error message:

"Incorrect input! Use 'snmp-server user [remote ] [ auth-md5 | auth-sha | auth-md5-key | auth-sha-key ] [ priv-des | priv-des-key ] ]'."

(I assure you I am using the syntax listed above.)

I have successfully configured all of the rest of the Dell EMC Networking N-series switches in our environment (including N1524 switches) with the exact same settings (using the web UI). The difference is that they are on older firmware versions (most are 6.2.x.x).

Did something break (or get deprecated) in the newer firmware? Or am I doing something wrong?

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

March 31st, 2021 08:00

Hello @Benture,

Please, can you check this guide and let us know if you are following the same steps: How to configure SNMPv3 on Dell EMC Networking N series https://dell.to/2QJsCBB

Thank you in advanced and regards.

6 Posts

March 31st, 2021 09:00

Hi Diego,

Yes, I am essentially following the steps in that guide. I was using the Default view and the DefaultRead group, but I created a new view and group just as a test. That didn't work either.

This command:

#snmp-server user test_user test_group auth-sha-key <40-character-string> priv-des-key <40-character-string>

...yields the following output:

Incorrect input! Use 'snmp-server user [remote ] [ auth-md5 | auth-sha | auth-md5-key | auth-sha-key ] [ priv-des | priv-des-key ] ]'.

I'm wondering if there is a bug in 6.6.0.24 that doesn't allow the combination of auth-sha-key and priv-des-key. The fact that there's an extra closing square bracket in the command guide output doesn't inspire confidence!

• 

8.5K Posts

March 31st, 2021 10:00

6.6.3.8 is the latest version, can you try that one? https://dell.to/31BMTLO

6 Posts

March 31st, 2021 11:00

Unfortunately the 6.6.3.8 firmware is behaving the same as the 6.6.0.24 version.

I rolled back to the original version I had on the switch (6.3.3.14) and everything works. I added the SNMP v3 user account and was able to connect to the switch from my monitoring software.

I then tried reverting back to the new firmware (I tried this with both the 6.6.0.24 and 6.6.3.8 versions), and it removes the SNMP v3 user that I had created under the 6.3.3.14 firmware. And, of course, it won't let me add it back.

I'm currently running on the 6.3.3.14 firmware, but it would be really nice to have all the firmware updated to the latest level before actually deploying this switch into production. Not being able to monitor the switch, however, is a deal-breaker.

Thanks for the suggestions so far--any other thoughts out there?

6 Posts

July 14th, 2021 15:00

Update:

I upgraded the N1524 switch to version 6.7.0.4, and the same issue occurs. Does anyone out there have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

4 Posts

August 4th, 2022 19:00

Ok, just went through this nightmare myself. It's extremely dependent on the firmware. As far as I can tell, only firmware 6.6.3.15 - 6.6.3.17 seems to work with SNMPv3. Moving to 6.7.1.10 or later (can't tell as the later versions are broken due to VLAN/Lags unable to pass traffic) I cannot get it working at all.

Check the running config and make sure there are no duplicate users. This happened to me, when I would run the single command "snmp-server user BuggyDell snmpv3mgmt auth-sha userpassword priv-aes128 privpassword" it would create 2 users called "BuggyDell", one with a bizarre entry that says remote and the other without. The only fix for this was to delete all users, reset the snmp engine ID to default, reboot the switch, then try it again.

The 2nd tip I can offer is DO NOT ENTER the "-key" options before the passwords. If you do, it errors out saying something about needing 40 characters for the password. For example:

Good entry: "snmp-server user BuggyDell snmpv3mgmt auth-sha userpassword priv-aes128 privpassword"

Bad entry: "snmp-server user BuggyDell snmpv3mgmt auth-sha-key userpassword priv-aes128-key privpassword"

On top of these issues, I had one switch that would not let me remove the user copied from another config. I had to login to the web gui to do it. It's mind blowing how buggy these switches are.

No Events found!