Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 13th, 2016 16:00

Computer can see wireless networks, but windows cannot connect to the networks!

About four weeks ago, my Dell laptop computer stopped connecting to wireless networks! I had been using my computer as usual, then the next day when I turned on my computer and went to go online as I usually do, I could not get my usual wireless connection to any of the wireless networks that I normally use. I tried everything (rebooting, unplugging, etc...), I have updated all my drivers, and still cannot connect to wireless networks, even can't connect to my smartphone hotspot. So I figured, maybe it was a problem with Windows 7, so I upgraded to Windows 10, still have the same problem, the computer can see the wireless networks, but cannot connect to them, so I am having to connect my smartphone to my usb port, and connect through my smartphone to use the internet. I do not have a hard wire connection in my apartment, the apartment has wireless internet. Is there something that has changed in my settings? I don't know. One of the things I did before upgrading, was to roll back to before the most recent Windows 7 update that I had gotten, but that didn't fix it either (apparently and obviously). Has anyone else had this problem? If so, did you get it solved, and how did you get it solved? Please help. Thank you.

5.2K Posts

January 13th, 2016 19:00

Your modem may have failed, but there are several fixes have worked for some.

Go to your router and try several different wireless channels.

If you have an "agn" modem, go to the Wireless section in the Device Manager and look in the Advanced tab for an entry to disable the "n" mode. If it's there, disable it and try connecting.

You can try to change the address of DNS server that the computer initially connects to from an automatic assignment to a fixed free DNS address.. Try the address: 208.67.222.222 primary and 208.67.220.220 secondary. Search the web for the procedure. It's not complicated, but easier to follow with pictures than I can detail.

If you have no success, purchase a USB wireless modem; they are not expensive. It's easier than trying to find a replacement modem that will fit your machine.

1 Message

March 25th, 2016 03:00

First of all, you need to read http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/cant-find-wireless-network#1TC=windows-8, if it can't help you, so try networking soft for your Win 10. I recommend also to read about  tools. I've had the same problem and it worked.

No Events found!