Optiplex Desktops

Last reply by 07-08-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
6 Indium

Optiplex 755 MT USB 3.0

Can Win7 32-bit power USB 3.0?

Do I have to use a USB 3.0 card in the PCI-E x1 slot in the back or can it be front mounted and plugged into the floppy drive connector?  I didn't see a reference in the Tech Guide as to how many pins the floppy drive connector is.  Google said 34 pins, so I bet not.

Suggestions and recommendations welcome in case there's anything else I need to know.  If I have to mount it in the back, I can always use a USB 3.0 extension cord and hub. 

I found one other ref. in this forum, but it didn't have any answers I was looking for.

- Please kudos posts you like!
- Please "Accept as Solution" posts that are a solution.
- If you have an Optiplex, stating its model number AND size speeds up troubleshooting. Components vary.

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

I'm a big fan of Dell, a Dell user, and not an employee. This forum is user to user with occasional assistance by other Rockstars or Dell employees.

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
4 Tellurium

Hey @bradthetechnut ,

You need something like this:

1.JPG

“May the Force be with Dell.”

View solution in original post

Replies (13)
4 Tellurium

Hey @bradthetechnut ,

You need something like this:

1.JPG

I like it and do you know what country aliexpress.com is based in?  I ask cuz delivery wouldn't be until Feb. 20.

- If you have an Optiplex, stating its model number AND size speeds up troubleshooting. Components vary.

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

I'm a big fan of Dell, a Dell user, and not an employee. This forum is user to user with occasional assistance by other Rockstars or Dell employees.

Same kind of accessories available in eBay as well.

And beware that most of this expansion card require a 4-pin power source.

1.JPG

Many are available with a SATA power port. That's the one I'm getting, being that's what's available from the 755 power supply. Right? 

Hi @SmokyGutGouger,

It's not said the form factor/size of yours your 755.  PSU's and other components vary.

Also depends on if you have something like the MT, and only 1 DVD drive.  Then you already have an extra SATA power connection.  Otherwise, you'll need a SATA power splitter. 

If you get one that's the same as pictured with the 4-pin molex connection, then a SATA power to molex adapter is needed.

MODELS.png

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

If you do have an MT and a spare SATA power connection, it won't reach the back of the PC.  SATA power extension cable 

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

@SmokyGutGouger 

@bmcowboy 

@bradthetechnut 

YEELIYA-USB3 B0838XY4D2

usb3card.jpg

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Diagnostics & Tools

I looked at eBay and Amazon and didn't see the complete setup like that.  Just 3.5" fronts with a cable and nothing to plug it into (unless some MB's have a 20-pin connector for USB 3.0?).

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor