Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 24th, 2021 09:00

Optiplex Build Date Code Translation

Hello,

I have an Optiplex 790 with a build date code of 20120420. I went to Dell to translate it for me and they blew me off because it's warranty service date had expired. Well, so what? I still use it and still need that date. It's so maddening. At least they could have given me the translation instructions and I would have promised to never bother them again. The codes should be thrown away anyway. Just put the real build date on the tag....no need for secrecy here anyway.

Can someone at this kind community help me here?

Thank you for all the help you give us members.

T'care,

Mike & Linda

5 Practitioner

• 

4.9K Posts

November 24th, 2021 22:00

Hello @Whitney2010 , I am a Dell computer owner like you, and I am not a Dell employee.  For whatever the reason you needed the information, I hope that I can help you with my knowledge.

With the obvious date code of 20120420, I guess it was year 2012, month of April and 20th date.  You can verify this information if you have the service tag (don't post that information here).  You can go on Dell.com and under Support, select Support Home.  You can enter your service tag in the box Search Support.  The result page will display several information, select View details and look for Ship Date.  For all intent purpose, it was considered the same as manufactured date or build date.

Chino,

11 Posts

November 26th, 2021 05:00

Good morning and thank you, Chino, for your kind response. 

This morning I found 5 responses from Dell here. I started with the oldest [yours was the newest]. They wanted the service tag # and the express service code # again, so I sent the numbers right back to them this morning......same response.......they can't help me because, again, this Optiplex is "out of warranty", so nothing new on their end {;-) 

You are the hero here Chino and you are greatly appreciated. From your info, I now see that I "maybe" could have figured out the build date if this Desktop had been shown as a 2012 model. But EVERY place I looked online showed the 790 as a 2011 Desktop. So that just twisted all the numbers around for me. I worked with GM for years and [for example] we were already building 2012 trucks in the early fall of 2011. So building a 2011 Optiplex in April of 2012 would be absurd only because of my automotive experience.

At any rate, I appreciate YOU, Chino. 

May your life be filled with blessings.

T'care,

Mike

5 Practitioner

• 

4.9K Posts

November 26th, 2021 18:00

@Whitney2010 , I am glad I could help and thank you for kind words.

No Events found!