Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 15th, 2014 04:00

Dell Power Edge R410 & Dell F2WGY Perc H700 Modular

Hi Guys

Need some advice please, A few weeks ago we purchased a Dell R410. This came with a Perc 6/ir Modular. However when we came to installing disks we noticed that the controller would not recognise disks larger than 2TB. this is not good as we need to use 2x 3TB disks and 2x 500GB Disks in a RAID 1 Configuration.

After Googling around, i came to the conclusion that the card it came with the "Perc 6/ir" doesnt support disks larger than 2TB.

So i went ahead and purchased a new Controller a "Dell F2WGY Perc H700 Modular" which apparantly supports larger disks.

the controller arrived yesterday so i removed the older Perc 6/ir Controller from the bottom slot of the riser board and plugged the "Dell F2WGY Perc H700 Modular" in the same location. : Picture of Slot i inserted H700

H700 Card: See Picture

Perc 6/ir Card: See Picture

Anyway, once i inserted the card and booted i was presented with the error; "PCIE Training Error" System HALT.

Obviously this wouldn't boot any further. So have i brought the wrong card? im confused at the moment between modular and intergrated? is the bottom pcie slot for integrated cards only?

I did then add the new card to the Top PCIE slot. the system then did boot and it could see the card. however ti did not find any drives?

what exactly am i doing wrong will this card work at all? or am i out of luck and need a different card?

• 

8.4K Posts

January 15th, 2014 06:00

Cappilio,

The issue you are having is due to the model of the H700. The H700 modular version of the card is actually designed for the Poweredge Blade series of servers. The model you would need is the H700i which is the Integrated version, designed to go in the white Storage Controller Slot you are referring to. The part numbers are KK67X and CNXVV. The last model of the H700 is the H700A which is the adapter, this is the model needed for installing in a PCIe slot. 

This link goes into detail in the H700 overview - http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pvaul/en/perc-technical-guidebook.pdf

Let me know if this helps.

7 Posts

January 21st, 2014 06:00

Hi Guys, 

Firstly thanks for the help it is greatly appreciated. I managed to get the H700i a few days ago. Placed this in the R410, Ran the Cables from the backplane to the RAID card. 

Booted up, H700 Card is recognised.

Loaded the configuration utility and its still only seeing the 3TB disks as 2TB?

Any reason that this card wont recognise the full capacity of these drives?

the drives are freshly cleaned no partitions etc.

• 

8.4K Posts

January 21st, 2014 07:00

Update the driver and firmware on the controller located here - http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/poweredge-r410

The H700's do support 3Tb drives. So it may be that the firmware is out of date. 

Let us know.

7 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 05:00

Ok So 

Thanks for the link, the Firmware currently on the H700 is, as shown below; 

Now according to the link you provided; 

I Selected my operating system in this case which is 2008 R2

and downloaded the following executable: "SAS-RAID_Firmware_5PRJ8_WN64_12.10.6-0001_A12"

Run the executable on 2008R2, the update trys to run and then produces this error: 

Any Information on this? 

The only thing that i can think of is that, HDD which the OS is installed on is running directly to the Onboard Sata Ports and not through the backplane via the RAID card? 

However i can see the RAID card in device manager no problem? Should this cause an issue?

7 Posts

January 30th, 2014 03:00

EDIT**

The Card now recognises the 3TB Drives, turns out the firmware wasn't quite so up to date, 

Found another post that helped alot : http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/w/wiki/2837.hdd-support-for-2-5tb-3tb-drives-and-beyond.aspx

and the actual firmware here; http://ftp.us.dell.com/sas-raid/

Firmware from:

11/11/2010  1:43 PM      2664608 dell_perc-h700-integrated_a06_r285987.exe
11/11/2010 1:43 PM 10101 dell_perc-h700-integrated_a06_r285987.txt

Onwards worked great.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 30th, 2014 08:00

The firmware that added support for large drives and unlocked uncertified drives, as you can see from the date of those files, has been around for so long, that the vast majority of all H700's out there shipped with a version with that support, and of the relatively few that shipped before that date, if the firmware has EVER been updated, it should have taken them to a supporting firmware version.

3 Posts

August 27th, 2014 07:00

Hello,

Im currently experiencing the same issue can you please provide me the Part/Serial numbers of the 3TB physical drives you inserted in your server ?

So i can purchase same which are proven as working?

Thank you in advance.

1 Message

September 20th, 2016 01:00

Hello,

Replying to an old thread I know, but hoping someone sees this and can help

I'm in a very similar position to the user who started this thread.

I have a R410, which came with a Perc 6/ir card. I want to use drives larger than 2TB so I purchased what I think is the right card- I got the H700 and I believe it is the 'integrated' version. It is the same as the card shown in figure 1 on page 6 of the PERC guide:

www.dell.com/.../perc-technical-guidebook.pdf

It was mentioned that this card should be able to go in the white slot in the riser card (the slot that the perc 6/ir used to be in).

What I am not clear on is how the card can physically fit when used in this white slot? I have tried to install it here but there is not enough clearance to allow the card to go in the slot- there is a heatsink and a few other items that get in the way. It does however install fine in the upper black slot.

So my questions related to this:

-How can I install the H700i in the white slot on the riser card? Or, can I install it in the black slot and it will work fine?

-Where is the correct spot to install the battery that comes with the H700i? I found a position between the hard drive slots near the front of the server that seems to work, but I'm not sure if there is a better spot.

1 Message

October 3rd, 2016 09:00

I just ordered my H700i to do exactly this - I will respond back with details / photos to assist you when it arrives.

1 Message

October 26th, 2016 10:00

Any update on this? I'm in exactly the same position. I managed to set one server up using the PCI slot, but then lost access to my four port NIC, and had to force some cables through some non-natural contortions, but I'd love to get my two servers set up properly with the H700.

No Events found!