Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 1st, 2023 05:00

Dell R710 - SATA SSD drive compatibility

Hello, 

I have Dell Power Edge R710 server with installed 3.5 HDD SAS drives. I'm going to upgrade the drives to SSD SATA drives.  I'm wondering whether the my server drive interface comply with SATA SSD drive. Also the PERC H700 controller will be installed to create RAID virtual disk. 

The SSD drive will be Kingston 1.92TB (1920GB) DC450R. 

Is SSD SATA drive compatible with Dell R710 drive interface ? 

Thank you. 

Regards, 

Michał

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

February 2nd, 2023 01:00

This backplane will support SATA drives. You can insert SATA drives in SAS backplane. 

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

February 1st, 2023 06:00

PowerEdge R710 support SATA SSD drives. You can refer "Hard Drives" section on page 81 of below link for more details

https://dl.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_poweredge/poweredge-r710_owner's%20manual_en-us.pdf 

7 Posts

February 1st, 2023 15:00

Does it mean that connectors from picture below are able to handle SATA drive as well ? 

data1_backplane.JPG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264361507999

• 

3.7K Posts

February 1st, 2023 18:00

Hello, sounds like you are using a non Dell part. I'm afraid we can not guarantee if it will work since it's not tested by Dell.

7 Posts

February 1st, 2023 23:00

Hello, 

I think it is a misunderstanding. I'm sorry for misleading query above.   

The picture in my previous post is only as reference to show the SAS connector and I don't know if it is DELL part or not.

I'm using original backplane as it was assembled in factory and never removed. The part number is W814D as per screenshot from hardware specification. 

In general my concern is whether backplane W814D is able to handle SATA drives ?   

capture2.JPG

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

February 2nd, 2023 01:00

The backplane was always a SATA/SAS one. You can insert SAS and SATA drives into the same system... and when using Dell drives which was once certified for that system they will work.

if youre using non dell arts your on your own.

• drive not detected
  • detected but blinking orange
  • unable to run FW ugrades for that drives
  • looks like working.. until you see problems later
  • just working as expected

Regards,
Jörg

7 Posts

February 2nd, 2023 02:00

I'm going to insert Kingston 1.92TB (1920GB) DC450R.

I found it on https://www.kingstonmemoryshop.co.uk and there is an option to check compatibility with specific product. That says it comply with Dell R710. 

Hopefully it will work. Thank you for pointing that feasible issues. 

Regards, 

Michal

1 Message

February 25th, 2023 09:00

Hello,

Did you have any compatibility issues? I also have an R710 however, documentation on the installed H700 raid card states that SATA drives are not supported. I'd love for someone to prove me wrong because I just want my stuff to work. Thanks in advance for any help.

No Events found!