PowerEdge HDD/SCSI/RAID

3 Silver

Dell certified drives only with PERC H700?

I have been reading and seen mentions of the PERC H700 only accepting Dell certified SATA drives. Is this the case? I have a PE1900 I am trying to replace with 6x SATA drives in there and would hate to buy new ones...just because....

Thanks for any info!

Replies (95)
7 Gold

The PowerEdge 1900 shouldn't have an H700 unless you put it in yourself. It only ever shipped with the PERC5 and maybe the PERC6, but not the H700.

Member since 2003

3 Silver

Sorry....should have been more clear. Looking to replace a PE1900 with a T310/T410/T610 and want to move the drives over. Was going to get the latest H700 or H800 RAID card in hopes of getting newer 6.0GB SATA drives down the line. Just didn't know if I could buy the new server with minimum drives, move over the existing ones and expect them to work.

2 Bronze

Just got a new R510 Server with H700 Raid Card and yes unfortunately it is true you can only use Dell certified drives with the new Raid cards

2 Bronze

Looking to replace a PE1900 with a T310/T410/T610 and want to move the drives over. Was going to get the latest H700 or H800 RAID card in hopes of getting newer 6.0GB SATA drives down the line. Just didn't know if I could buy the new server with minimum drives, move over the existing ones and expect them to work.

I have a T410 with a PERC controller, and I'm pretty sure it will take non-Dell drives. I have to admit I haven't checked myself, but I've been following this issue a little (because I think this is a disgusting move on Dell's part) and I think the drive restrictions apply only to the next generation after the T410, not to the T410's generation. I think there may be a choice of hot-swap SATA controller for the T410, and I got the PERC on the recommendation of a support tech I was chatting to after he helped me with an issue on our older Poweredge.

Andy.

3 Silver

I have a T410 with a PERC controller, and I'm pretty sure it will take non-Dell drives. I have to admit I haven't checked myself, but I've been following this issue a little (because I think this is a disgusting move on Dell's part) and I think the drive restrictions apply only to the next generation after the T410, not to the T410's generation. I think there may be a choice of hot-swap SATA controller for the T410, and I got the PERC on the recommendation of a support tech I was chatting to after he helped me with an issue on our older Poweredge.

Do you have a PERC H700 or PERC6? I know the PERC6 will take non-certified Dell drives. I wonder if non-standard drives on a H700 plain doesn't work, or if it says "Golly gosh, you should really be using Dell drives, press F1 to continue....cheapskate." on POST or something. ;)

2 Bronze

Sorry to be unhelpful - it's a PERC 6/i.

2 Bronze

Yes it is the case.  Dell has modified the firmware on the LSI private labeled controller so that it will only "UNBLOCK" the use of hard disks whose firmware identifies itself as a Dell private labeled hard disk.

By the way, be careful what you post on the forums...Dell will delete posts which cast them in a bad light.  My earlier post was deleted by them.  Looks like censoring is becoming a tool of Dell.

7 Thorium

As noted in your other thread, it was your language that got your post deleted, even if it was as benign-seeming as crummy (substituting for 'app').  Censorship of comments that case a company in bad light is every company's right in their public forums, but one that Dell does not use.  (Have you not read the forums?? LOL)

2 Bronze

I really do not think the the word "carppy" but spelled with the 'r' before the 'a' is a word needed to be censored.  I may be wrong, but it is not even on the list of words the FCC bans on broadcast TV or radio.  Please, let's be honest here.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions
comment leaving this incase mobile wants to be turned on again