Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

25 Posts

January 15th, 2022 11:00

PERC H710 slow Initialization

Hi

System is a T420 with PERC H710.

I just installed 8*3Gig SAS drives and kicked off a Background Initialization.  After 6 hours its done 4%, which on my rough calculation means it will take approx. 6 DAYS.  ?????  6 DAYS to complete, which is utterly ridicules.

Is there anyway to speed this up, like taking it offline and dedicating it 100% to Initialization. I've already used the OMSA storage options to change "Rebuild Rate" and "BGI rate"  to 90%. That didn't seem to make any difference.

Now I'm thinking I should dump the H710, re-flash an H310 to HBA mode and use ZFS.

Yours in hopes

25 Posts

January 15th, 2022 22:00

Err, perhaps not so bad !!

With nothing to lose, I stopped the Initialization, changed all the options that are currently on 30% to 90% then restarted it making 100% sure that I chose the "Fast Initialization", just in case I messed up first time round. That seems to have had a speed up effect, in the 9 hours since kick off its reached 20%. But Its still a very long, to long, process.

When its finished , I think I'll replace one of the drives and see how long a rebuild takes. For me and this test server, this is OK but these long times in a live environment would not be good

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

January 16th, 2022 07:00

Are you performing what kind of initialization. 

• Background Initialization (BGI)
  • Full Initialization
  • Fast Initialization

Background Initialization will get initiated automatically for any newly created virtual disk. You can not disable BGI permanently. If you cancel BGI it will get restarted automatically after few minutes. 

Refer section "Types Of Virtual Disk Initialization " on page 14 of below link for more details

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/common/rc_h310_h710_h710p_h810_ug_en-us.pdf 

1 Message

January 31st, 2022 11:00

I am having the same question, I have a PERC H730P Mini (Embedded) doing RAID60 on 24x16TB drive and the initial virtual disk BGI is on-going for a week now sitting at 73%.

I want to know if I can start use the server now or should I wait it to fully finish?

2 Posts

October 12th, 2022 10:00

I'm wondering if you saw it slow down again after you got to the same % it was at before restarting? We tried to increase everything and noticed it sped up, but as soon as it got to 14% which is where we were at when we re-started the process, it slowed back down. 

January 4th, 2024 08:13

I'm also seeing very slow initialization of a disk.  Several days for a 8TB disk.  I'm using the iDRAC interface, and there is no "status" on the initialization process, but thankfully the server is running, I just can't use this disk yet.

It would be great to get the PERC or the iDRAC to give some information about the initialization process, and for Dell to publish exactly what it's doing, and how long it should take.

(edited)

No Events found!