PowerEdge HDD/SCSI/RAID

Last reply by 12-02-2014 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Perc H200 Mixed RAID-1 and non-RAID setup

Hi, I'm planning buying 4 R310 servers for a mass security cam surveillance application and I need an answer if someone could help.

I want a 2x160GB SATA 7.2K Hot Plug HD in RAID-1 setup for OS and applications installation and a sole 2TB SATA 7.2K Hot Plug in non-RAID mode for video recording storage. Does Perc H200 allows mixing a 2 HD in RAID-1 setup and a sole HD in non-RAID mode in another port without any error/incompatibility in Windows 2003 Server environment?

Thanks very much in advance for any answer or proposal. 

Replies (9)
7 Plutonium

Strictly speaking, the PERC's do not allow for RAID and non-RAID.  In fact, the PERC's do not allow for non-RAID at all.  You can, however, run with a single drive ... you just have to set it up as a single-disk RAID 0 (the only RAID level that allows for only one disk).  In order for Windows to see any drive connected to a PERC, it must first be setup by the RAID controller.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Thanks for the answer. The other feasible solution is to setup the 2x160GB in RAID-1 mode for OS/apps on H200 controller, making server booting from H200 as first boot device, and connecting the 2TB SATA on one of the Intel onboard SATA ports. It may loose it's hot plug capability because as far as I know hot plug HDs in Dell servers are connected on backplane, which in my case will probably be connected with Perc H200 controller. But as far as HD functionality under Win2003 Server is concerned, I shouldn't expect any problem, should I?

7 Plutonium

You could do that, but I'm not sure why you would, to be honest.  If the drives all come connected to the backplane, the problem you might run into is powering your drives if not connected to the backplane ... not to mention, where would you put them?  If not connected to a backplane (some systems have hot-plug backplanes, others only have cabled options), then you might be able to do what you propose, as there will be power connectors in the box - it would just be a matter of running the cable to the SATA ports on the motherboard and not hooking them up to the cable from the controller.

As for Windows, it should not care - it will only see the RAID 1 as a single drive.  Whether the other drives are connected to the onboard as individual disks or each set up a its own RAID 0, Windows will see them as individual disks - the only difference is the controller that manages them.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

The H200 supports non-RAID.  I'm using it for a WHS box right now with OS on a raid-1 and a bunch of independent disks.

The H700 does not, FWIW.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Is the performance issue mentioned above related to H200 controller or SATA drives?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

didn't mean to post as a possible answer!!!:emotion-4:

7 Plutonium

Are they set up in a true non-RAID (JBOD) configuration, or is each set up as a single-disk RAID 0?

The PERC H200 is probably not much more than a glorified SAS 6, which also had JBOD capability, so it's possible it can.  PERC 6 and H700 (and all previous PERC's) I know cannot.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have an R410 with PERC H200 and it is not allowing me to create a 1 disk RAID 0. It is requiring at least 2 drives. This is with OpenManage with version 7.01.33.00 of the PERC H200 firmware.

7 Plutonium

The H200, being an almost identical direct replacement for the SAS 6/iR, does not do single disk RAID 0 - JBOD/non-RAID only for a single disk.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor