PowerEdge HDD/SCSI/RAID

Last reply by 10-11-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

R920 stuck in startup at scanning for devices, please wait

Hi all,

Yesterday my Server R920 running windows server 2008 display message for windows activation, i just add my new serial key for windows & restart my server.

But during booting the system, it stuck at 'SCANNING FOR DEVICES, PLEASE WAIT, THIS MAY TAKE SEVERAL MINUTES". I wait for several hours but no further response, Check its Raid card, every thing Ok, all the disk are there & defined raids are healthy no errors.

Can anyone guide me to resolve this issue, 

Replies (13)

Kami_Pak,

The issue sounds like the boot order. You can verify this by selecting "Hard Drive C:", from the F11 Boot Menu found on startup. If that is the case, then check the boot and disk drive sequences in the BIOS Boot Settings (F2).

Let me know what you see.

Chris Hawk
Social Media and Communities Professional
Dell Technologies | Enterprise Support Services
#Iwork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’
‘Kudo’ the posts you like!
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi 

I have the same issue and when we select boot menu using  F11, boot sequence is hard disk c with raid controller appears but when we select C, system stuck and shows no response.

thanks

@masood.zaheer 

I am having the same issue right now. Did you find a way to fix it?

Hello @qwertyuioplark2,

It seems I've replied to your post on the issue in another new thread. I'll work with you on that one. 

DELL-Joey C
#IWork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’. ‘Kudo’ the posts you like!

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I just had the same problem this morning after the electrician was playing with electrical fuses in the building.  I waited on that scanning for devices screen for about 10 minutes. I decided to shut down the server, disconnect both power supplies and waited couple of minutes for server to fully discharge. After powering back on, system booted up as normally. 

This just happened to me today.  I will try removing the power and drain the server power and then bring it back up.  So crazy that this happened to both of us.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Same problem for me in an R720. Happened after a power failure.

Hello @CU.Dell.User,

Can you please provide us some more information? What troubleshooting steps did you follow to try to diagnose or fix the error?

Regards.

Diego López
#Iwork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’
‘Kudo’ the posts you like!

Diego,

(1) I have tried unplugging the power code, and waiting for a few minutes. No difference

(2) Checked the RAID (PERC R710Mini) and the configs. They look fine

(3) Checked boot order that looks fine

(4) After reading the comments in similar thread (and thinking that if somehow a corrupt C: is the reason), I attached an external DVD -and made it the first in the boot order this morning, and the did not make any difference. Still getting the "Scanning for devices. Please wait" message -almost an hour gone by now.

Thanks for looking into this.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor