Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 27th, 2014 09:00

Replacing a SAS 6/iR with an H700 on an R310

I have a PowerEdge R310 with a SAS 6/iR controller. I want to have an H700 controller on the server.

Dell sent me an H700 card with what I'm assuming is the 512 MB NVRAM cache attached. But they also sent me a battery.

The longer wire looks like it plugs into the controller and then one of either the battery or the RAM module. Should I be using this battery at all?

I've seen pictures of this battery where it has some plastic arms attached to it. This would allow the battery to attach to the controller. I don't have these arms.

The shorter red and black wire looks like it plugs into the controller and a spot on the motherboard labelled HD_ACT_CARD. Is this correct?

Should I be removing the SAS 6/iR controller? I think the SAS 6/iR controller is this one with the blue plastic:

The instructions that came with the H700 tell you next to nothing. Is there a different manual or guide I should be referring to?

Thanks!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 27th, 2014 10:00

Yes, you will need the battery to use the cache.  Without cache, you will have wasted your money on the H700.

The H700 will need to go in the x8 PCIe slot on riser 2.

If you can't see the drives through the new H700, you will also need a cable to go from the backplane to the controller (8087) ... the documentation isn't very clear, but it looks like there is a motherboard connector next to the SAS 6/iR PCIe slot that would connect the drives, which will probably not work if using the H700, so it would need its own cable.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

March 27th, 2014 11:00

Qccs ..Look at the Ebay picture for the battery connection, different version, same connections......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Perc-H700-1-Gb-Nvram-cache-6Gb-sec-w-battery-HCR2Y-/141186191448?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20df5a5058

You can just attach the battery to anywhere in the case, tape or Velcro. Better off not attached to the adapter, less heating from the raid card.

The other cable is an LED cable, not sure where it connects to beyond the raid adapter but is shown in this Ebay item, not critical to be attached.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-1THG8-PERC-H700-512MB-Integrated-RAID-Controller-6Gb-s-PCI-e-Battery-/151063190967?pt=US_Server_Disk_Controllers_RAID_Cards&hash=item232c115db7

Not sure if this is the connector for LED on the mobo, pg 170, connector 25......

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDwQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flagshiptech.com%2FeBay%2FDell%2FT310HardwareOwnersManual.pdf&ei=Bmc0U-m1EIvUsASGiIC4CA&usg=AFQjCNGV8FzrPbFJfTZiXzw6CdPpvNkwlw

12 Posts

Thanks for the help.

If I'm to use this battery, then do I plug my longer wire from the battery to the controller, or from the battery to the RAM module?

Should I have arms for the battery so that it can attach to the controller, or should I just tape the battery to something inside the case?

As for the black and red cable, I still don't know if that is supposed to plug into the HD_ACT_CARD spot on the motherboard (seen in my third picture).

I do see that the H700 has it's own SAS ports, so I will plug my backplanes into one of those, rather than the SAS port on the motherboard.

12 Posts

I can see now that the cable is unable to connect the battery to the RAM module. Would the RAM module's connector be connected to the controller if you didn't have a battery?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 27th, 2014 11:00

We might need one of the Dell guys to jump in here ... I don't have an R310 to look at ...

It doesn't appear as if all memory modules have power connectors, and it looks like in some cases, the battery is actually mounted to the DIMM.  In many systems, there is a place for a "wired" battery to be mounted inside the case, but that is also not documented for this particular system.

12 Posts

March 27th, 2014 12:00

I think the reason my battery did not come with arms is that, if I mounted the battery to the controller with the attachment arms, the case would not be able to close.

I have attached the battery with double sided tape, just above the iDRAC module.

The battery is attached to the controller by the 5-pin wire. The ram module is seated in its socket on the controller, but the 5-pin connection on the RAM is left unconnected.

I've used the new, longer, SAS cable Dell gave me to plug into the "A" SAS port on the controller.

I've removed the original SAS cable that was used with the SAS 6/iR, but I have not removed the SAS 6 i/R.

I connected the hard drive activity led connector to the HD_ACT_CARD connector on the motherboard. (http://www.flagshiptech.com/eBay/Dell/R310HardwareOwnersManual.pdf, page 166, connector 20)

Thank you theflash1932 and pcmeiners.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 27th, 2014 12:00

Glad you got it sorted out.

No Events found!