Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 21st, 2022 00:00

T310 Server with S100 PERC onto Server 2016 Standard.

HI

Among other jobs I run our small network in our family run company

We have an old T310 server (good condition) with 4 new SATA disks , which I would like to make use of as a file server / storage on a small network - rather than throw away.

Will be running server 2016 standard, so I understand that I can not use the Infamous S100 PERC software RAID.

So we have purchased an H700 PCI card to use instead https://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/dell-hcr2y-perc-h700-11g-1gb-fh-pcie-x8-raid-controller-39h7h

This was just plugged into the PCI slot - no cables required apparently

Disabled RAID in the BIOS SATA settings (another post refers) with the intention of managing RAID from OMSA after the OS had booted.

Problem: If I disable RAID in BIOS then Disk are not recognised however,  if I enable  ATA in BIOS (rather than RAID or No RAID) I can boot to OS but OMSA does not see the disks, so cant create a RAID.

Question (s) : 

What are the settings I need to disable the S100 and enable the H700 allowing us to run RAID. 

Is it possible to remove the S100 PERC - so it doesn't "elbow its way in" when you enable RAID in the BIOS

Am I flogging a dead horse........

Cheers in advance

• 

8.4K Posts

September 21st, 2022 05:00

Exminiman,

In order to use the H700 you would need to change the Sata Settings in the BIOS to AHCI, and under Integrated Devices the Intergrated Raid should be enabled. Now another thing I noticed, and what is likely the issue, is that when going from the software controller to the hardware, you have a difference in cables. Which is why you likely aren't seeing the drives. With an H700 installed you would need the cable, part # W846K (if hot plug drives) or Y690K (if cabled drives). Those are the controller to backplane cables.

As far as removing the software controller, it isn't an option to do.

Let me know if this helps.

17 Posts

September 21st, 2022 06:00

Hi Chris

Many thanks for the quick reply, It just seems such a shame not to try and "repurpose" the server, as its been very reliable.

Will try and get some cables and report back.

Again many thanks for quick reply

Regards

Marc

17 Posts

September 29th, 2022 00:00

Hi Chris

Cable arrived and followed your instructions above - worked like a dream, many thanks.

S100 PERC is not trying to muscle in any more and have a proper RAID 1 solution in place

Only slight hiccup (my fault)  was I set the ATA (AHCI) to "Auto" rather than off for each disk, this caused a reboot to stall, until F1 was pushed, however, when I changed to "Off" all worked fine.

So we know have a "repurposed"  T310 as a file server, for not much money.

Cheers for your help

Marc

17 Posts

September 29th, 2022 00:00

Hi Chris

Cable arrived and followed your instructions above - all worked like a dream, many thanks

Cheers

Marc

No Events found!