PowerEdge Hardware General

Last reply by 12-02-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Bios upgrade during power failure

Hi.i just upgraded my bios on dell poweredge t20 and than the power cut because of loadingsheding while the bios was stil busy upgrading ...so now after power is restored the pc comes on but does not show on screen...what to do??

Thank you.

Replies (4)

Hello Joas02,

You may start with a flea power drain and check results.

If it doesn't work they try clearing the NVRAM with the RTCRST Reset Jumper.

drain flea power (shut down, disconnect power cables and Network cables, hold in power button 20 seconds with cords removed).  After flea power drain, system has to set for 3 minutes for DRAC to reset without any power plugged in, then plug in NIC and power but wait 2 minutes before power on to give DRAC time to initialize.

RTCRST Reset Jumper

Page 63  : https://dell.to/3ESG23Q

1. Disconnect all cables and connected devices from the system

2. Remove the system cover.

3. Locate the 2-pin password (PSWD - Item 2) jumper on the system board.

4. Remove the 2-pin jumper plug.

5. Locate the 2-pin (RTCRST - Item 4) jumper on the system board.

6. Insert the removed password jumper plug to the RTCRST jumper pins.

7. Plug in the power and turn on the system for about 10 seconds to clear the CMOS information then turn the system off completely.

8. Return jumper to original location.

9. Replace the system cover.

10. Connect back all the cables and devices then turn on the system.

Dell -Charles R
Social Media and Communities Professional
Dell Technologies | Enterprise Support Services
#IWork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’. ‘Kudo’ the posts you like!

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi i followed every step as directed and stil no change ,pc do not power on and power button does not light up like usual. Just the fans that keep spinning. 

Please see attached file as reference to problem.

How can i send you a short video clip of whats happening?

Thank you. 

Screenshot_20221201-232616_Gmail.jpg

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

• Hi .i followed and carried out instructions as mentioned but stil no change,pc do not turn on only fans running,also no power button led like usual 

Hi @Joas02,

I notice you have posted another new title which is the same as this, so we have combined the new post to your existing one to avoid any confusion. 

You can upload it into Youtube and post the video URL here, we'll be able to view the video.

Unfortunately, it seems like the BIOS is corrupted and had affected the mainboard to not function. Hence, the only solution is to replace the mainboard. 

DELL-Joey C
Social Media and Communities Professional
Dell Technologies | Enterprise Support Services
#IWork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’. ‘Kudo’ the posts you like!

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor