Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

September 11th, 2008 16:00

Do CPU Drivers Exist?

I am testing a system restore software to dissimilar hardware. The only requirement is that you match the storage drivers and the processor drivers. I am unable to find a CPU driver for the PE 1950 model that we have. Do CPU drivers exist from Dell or perhaps bundled in some update package? Any input would be appreciated.

1.2K Posts

September 11th, 2008 23:00

I've never heard of CPU drivers before.

9.3K Posts

September 12th, 2008 12:00

For a while AMD had processor drivers, but I think that had to do with the first processors that didn't 'show' their speed, just a 'rating'. Windows didn't read the rating (just the frequency, which would look low), so AMD released a driver that would just change the way it showed in the Windows device manager.

Since then Microsoft has just implemented a different way to show the processor in the device manager and I haven't seen processor drivers since then.

September 17th, 2008 01:00

There are chipset drivers that run some chipsets on the motherboard. Dell doesnt use any processor drivers, and I have never heard of one.

105 Posts

September 28th, 2008 16:00

Any "cpu" drivers are always included in the OS default,basically (coded in) they dont exist to an end user. AMD did have AMD drives, but they were more to fix specific issues and werent always need to work.
No Events found!