PowerEdge Hardware General

Last reply by 05-23-2013 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

ESXi 5.0 u1 on R620 VMFS 5

Have R620 Server with 2 internal SD cards for ESXi 5.0 U1, and 4 - 600Gb SAS local drives in Raid 5 config for storage. 

(VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.0.0.update1-623860.x86_64-Dell_Customized_RecoveryCD_A00.iso)        ->    ESXi 5.0 U1 install disk
I successfully installed  ESXi 5.0 U1 on the Server SD cards, but when I attempt to add the local SAS storage within vsphere client (selecting either vmfs-3 or 5)  it shows "Loading...." message for about 2 minutes and then disconnects the vsphere client.  Can't get it to create the Datastore...
I can install ESXi 4.1 U2 on system and everything works good, it sees the storage and adds it successfully (vmfs-3).   Not sure why with ESXi 5.0 its disconnecting before completion.

Any ideas?

Replies (3)

Crawfca,

Here is what you will need to do; XXX and ZZZ will be information specific to your systems

Use putty to print out partitions on local storage and delete partitions

Print partition table:

/dev/disks # partedUtil getptbl "/vmfs/devices/disks/naa.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

msdos

XXXXX XXX XX XXXXXXXXX

1 ZZZZZ partition identifier

2 ZZZZZpartition identifier

After that to delete -

/dev/disks # partedUtil delete "/vmfs/devices/disks/naa.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" 1

/dev/disks # partedUtil delete "/vmfs/devices/disks/naa.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" 2

Print partition table after delete:

/dev/disks # partedUtil getptbl "/vmfs/devices/disks/naa.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

msdos

XXXXX XXX XX XXXXXXXXX

---

Once the partitions were deleted use the gui to add local storage and format as vmfs

Let me know how it goes.

Chris Hawk
Social Media and Communities Professional
Dell Technologies | Enterprise Support Services
#Iwork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’
‘Kudo’ the posts you like!
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Thanks Chris, I was having the same problem and your fix worked.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Tell me I'm using to install ESXi 5.0 on DELL R620 server image VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.0.0.update1-623860.x86_64-Dell_Customized_RecoveryCD_A00.iso. However, when the server boots from the disk, it does not display the boot menu

"1. Installing VMware ESXi 5.0

2. Boot drive C "

VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.0.0.update1-623860.x86_64-Dell_Customized_RecoveryCD_A00.iso, this image of a boot?

When insert the disk into the drive server HP DL380G5, the boot menu appears.

Sorry for my english

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor